Thursday 13 June 2024

WHEN THE GOING GETS ROUGH

 


WHEN THE GOING GETS ROUGH

 

It is a design for living

that works in rough going.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 15

 

When I came to A.A.,

I realized that A.A. worked wonderfully

 to help keep me sober.

But could it work on real life problems,

not concerned with drinking?

I had my doubts.

After being sober for more than two years

 I got my answer.

I lost my job, developed physical problems,

my diabetic father lost a leg,

and someone I loved left me for another –

and all of this happened during a two-week period.

Reality crashed in, yet A.A. was there

to support, comfort, and strengthen me.

The principles I had learned

during my early days of sobriety

became a mainstay of my life

for not only did I come through,

but I never stopped being able to help newcomers.

A.A. taught me not to be overwhelmed,

but rather to accept and understand

 my life as it unfolded.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment