Friday 28 June 2024

Circle and Triangle

 


arun

Thu, 27 Jun, 21:46 (18 hours ago)
to

  

Good Morning!!!

 

God grant me the Serenity

to accept the things

I cannot change;

Courage to change

the things I can;

and Wisdom

to know the difference.

Thy will, not mine, be done.

 

*~*~*~*~*^Daily Reflections^*~*~*~*~*

 

June 28, 2024

 

THE DETERMINATION

OF OUR FOUNDERS

 

A year and six months later

these three had succeeded with seven more.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 159

 

If it had not been for

the fierce determination of our founders,

A.A. would have quickly faded

like so many other so-called good causes.

I look at the hundreds of meetings weekly

in the city where I live and I know

A.A. is available twenty-four hours a day.

If I had had to hang on with nothing

but hope and a desire not to drink,

experiencing rejection wherever I went,

I would have sought the easier, softer way

and returned to my previous way of life.

 

***************************************************

Circle and Triangle

 

Above us, at the International Convention

at St. Louis in 1955,

floated a banner on which was inscribed

the then new symbol for A.A.,

a circle enclosing a triangle.

The circle stands for the whole world of A.A.,

and the triangle stands for A.A.'s Three Legacies,

Recovery, Unity, and Service.

It is perhaps no accident that

priests and seers of antiquity

regarded this symbol as a means of

warding off spirits of evil.

 

When, in 1955, we old-timers

turned over our Three Legacies

 to the whole movement,

nostalgia for the old days blended with gratitude

for the great day in which I was now living.

No more would it be necessary for me

to act for, decide for, or protect A.A.

For a moment, I dreaded the coming change.

But this mood quickly passed.

The conscience of A.A.

 as moved by the guidance of God

could be depended upon to insure A.A.'s future.

Clearly my job henceforth was to let go and let God.

A.A. COMES OF AGE

1. P. 139

2. PP. 46, 48

As Bill Sees It, P. 307
© 1967 by Alcoholics Anonymous

 ® World Services, Inc

No comments:

Post a Comment