Thursday 13 June 2024

Why is Lord Vishnu called Aniruddha?

 

Lord Vishnu has four forms and they are Vasudeva, Sankarshana, Pradyumna and Aniruddha. Aniruddha is a thousand arm of Lord Vishnu. Once sage Narada went to Lord Vishnu’s ocean of milk. Lord Vishnu appeared in his thousand armed in his Aniruddha form. Here is the description of Aniruddha form of Lord Vishnu.

Bearing these diverse kinds of hues on his person, the eternal Deity appeared before Narada. He had a thousand eyes and was possessed of great beauty. He had a hundred heads and a hundred feet. He had a thousand stomachs and a thousand arms. He seemed to be still inconceivable to the mind. With one of his mouths he uttered the syllable Om and then the Gayatri following Om. With mind under complete control, the great Deity, called by the names of Hari and Narayana, by his other mouths, multitudinous in number, uttered many mantras from the four Vedas which are known by the name of Aranyaka. The Lord of all the deities, the great God who is adorned in sacrifices, held in his hands a sacrificial altar, a Kamandalu, few white gems, a pair of sandal, a bundle of Kusa blades, a deer-skin, a toothstick, and a little blazing fire.

Lord Vishnu himself explains to Narada that he is eternal and he will withdraw the universe at the end of Kalpa. Lord Brahma springs from Aniruddha’s navel and from Lord Brahma, all mobile and immobile creatures are created. This happens repeatedly in beginning of every Kalpa.

In Chcchandas (Vedas) I have been repeatedly hymned as the illustrious Hiranyagarbha. In the Yoga scriptures, O Brahmana, I have been spoken of as one who takes a delight in Yoga. I am eternal. Assuming a form that is manifest, I dwell, at present, in the heavens. At the end of a thousand Yugas I shall once more with-draw the universe into myself. Having withdrawn all creatures, mobile and immobile into myself, I shall exist all alone with knowledge only for my companion. After the lapse of ages I shall again create the universe, with the aid of that knowledge. That which is my fourth form creates the indestructible Sesha. That Sesha is called by the name of Sankarshana. Sankarshana creates Pradyumna. From Pradyumna I take birth myself as Aniruddha. I create (myself) repeatedly. From Aniruddha springs Brahman. The latter takes birth from Aniruddha's navel. From Brahman spring all creatures mobile and immobile. Know that Creation springs in this way repeatedly at the beginning of every Kalpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment