Thursday 20 June 2024

RELEASE FROM FEAR

 RELEASE FROM FEAR

 

The problem of resolving fear has two aspects.

We shall have to try

for all the freedom from fear

that is possible for us to attain.

Then we shall need to find

both the courage and grace

to deal constructively

with whatever fears remain.

AS BILL SEES IT, p. 61

 

Most of my decisions were based on fear.

Alcohol made life easier to face,

but the time came when alcohol

was no longer an alternative to fear.

One of the greatest gifts in AA for me

has been the courage to take action,

which I can do with God’s help.

After five years of sobriety

I had to deal with a heavy dose of fear.

God put the people in my life to help me do that and,

through my working the Twelve Steps,

I am becoming the whole person I wish to be

and, for that, I am deeply grateful.

 

*****************************************************

Between the Extremes

 

“The real question is whether we can learn

anything from our experiences upon which we may grow

and help others to grow in the likeness and image of God.

We know that if we rebel against doing

that which is reasonably possible for us,

then we will be penalized.

And we will be equally penalized if we presume in ourselves

a perfection that simply is not there.

Apparently, the course of relative humility and progress

will have to lie somewhere between these extremes.

In our slow progress away from rebellion,

true perfection is doubtless several millennia away.”

Letter, 1959

As Bill Sees It, P. 159

© 1967 by Alcoholics Anonymous ®

World Services, Inc

 

****************************************************

We Are Who We Think We Are

How we think about ourselves

has an impact on what we do.

If we decide that we are less of a person

because we have an illness,

 then we may not fulfill our potential.

If we decide our illness

 will consume our every thought and action

for the rest of our lives, then it probably will.

If we decide that we will always be a victim

and our life will bring us nothing but misfortune,

then our life may just turn out that way.

On the other hand,

if we begin to believe positive things about ourselves,

eventually our outlook on life will become positive as well.

When we believe that we are lovable,

that we can cope with our illness,

and that we are no less of a person because of it,

then this is what shall be.

We can change who we are

by changing who we believe ourselves to be.

Today, do I remind myself of my abilities,

my choices, and my opportunities?

Thought for the Day

My attitude and perspective

can make life more positive and joyful.

 

*******

Grapevine quote of the day

 

"I can choose to carry the weight of the world

and my problems around on my shoulders,

or I can turn them all over to my Higher Power

and let her worry about them."

Toronto, Ontario, May 1984

"Now I Have a Choice!"

Spiritual Awakenings II

© AA Grapevine, Inc. 1944-2014

*

In 1938,

 

Conception - n. figuratively, origin; beginning

(Figurative means symbolic) *

 

~ The Winston Simplified Dictionary

 Encyclopedic Edition (1938)

 

"Much to our relief,

we discovered we did not need to consider

another's conception of God.

Our own conception, however inadequate,

was sufficient to make the approach

and to effect a contact with Him."

(46:2)

 

* Not to be confused with “Concept” –

n. a mental impression of an object,

a general idea or class of objects.

 

** You already know what they wrote.

Now you know what they meant. **

 

***************************************************

Generosity

"Generosity is the flower of justice."

Nathaniel Hawthorne

Say yes to The Spirit involves generosity.

It is really important to give, not simply money -

although money is important and should be shared -

but also, to give of oneself.

Optimism is part of my understanding of generosity.

I believe it to be spiritually important

to be both positive and creative,

which affects my attitude and behavior.

Today I'm willing to give my time and money

to a cause that I deem to be important.

An example is recovery from alcoholism.

I will often travel to other countries

to share my strength and hope with those who are still struggling.

And I do this for no honorarium.

What have I discovered by doing this?

Well, when I'm generous I receive back a hundredfold.

I've discovered my generosity

 is spiritually rewarding.

 

*******

Just a thought...................

 

When we come into AA, many of us were literally all alone,

having used and abused everyone around us.

The fellowship of AA was a desperately needed change of life, one where we learned to trust and to be trustworthy again. However, sometimes we are able to function well in groups, but are not quite able to trust other people one-on-one. We are therefore not quite able to get a sponsor who may be needed for us to really take all the steps. And not having taken the steps, the promises that come from taking the steps are never found.

 

So....................

 

Am I like this? Should I take "a chance" to be brave enough to trust someone?  To get a sponsor and finish whatever step is troubling me? When I see someone like this, do I reach out and introduce myself? Do I dare reach out to someone like myself and risk rejection, but also risk saving someone from loneliness?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment