Monday, 3 August 2026
We Have Plenty of Time (Part Two)
We Have Plenty of Time (Part Two)
"You aren't my son."
My father's words did not sound angry.
That was the worst part.
They sounded afraid.
I stared at him.
"What did you say?"
He looked toward the ceiling as the hidden machinery beneath the manor continued to turn.
"I've spent eleven years pretending I didn't know."
"Know what?"
His eyes filled with tears.
"That you were never supposed to exist."
The room seemed to shrink around me.
I wanted to laugh.
I wanted to tell him he was being ridiculous.
Instead, I remembered the boy in the hallway.
"You haven't lived here yet."
I remembered the changing photographs.
The missing people.
The priest who had died and then never existed.
"What am I?"
My father sat down heavily.
"The hardest question I've ever had to answer."
He opened one of Grandfather's journals.
Inside were pages written decades apart.
Different handwriting.
Different dates.
But the same sentence appeared repeatedly.
THE CHILD MUST SURVIVE.
My hands went cold.
"Who is the child?"
Father looked at me.
"You."
The first version of the story was simple.
Too simple.
My grandfather, Henry Ashcroft, had been a brilliant scientist.
Obsessed with time.
Obsessed with preventing tragedy.
But his obsession began with one terrible event.
A train accident.
A train that carried his daughter.
My father's sister.
She was seventeen years old.
She died on a winter night in 1943.
Henry spent the rest of his life trying to undo those few minutes.
He believed that if he could change the past...
He could save her.
But time did not behave like a broken clock.
It fought back.
Every change created another problem.
Saving one person caused another tragedy.
Preventing one disaster created a worse one.
So Henry developed a new plan.
Not to change history.
To rewrite it completely.
"He built the machine to save my sister," Father explained.
"But something went wrong."
"What?"
"You."
I stared at him.
"I wasn't born?"
He shook his head.
"Not in the original timeline."
The words felt impossible.
"In the first version of history, I never had a child."
"Your mother and I..."
He stopped.
A painful silence filled the room.
"We lost the chance."
He looked at the journals.
"When the machine activated, history changed."
"Your mother survived a disease that should have taken her."
"I survived an accident."
"We met."
"We had you."
His voice cracked.
"You were the miracle we never expected."
"Then why say I'm not your son?"
"Because the machine keeps correcting itself."
The clocks around us suddenly began ticking faster.
"Every time history changes..."
"...it tries to remove things that don't belong."
"People."
"Events."
"Memories."
"You are the one thing history cannot decide what to do with."
A terrible realization entered my mind.
"That's why everyone forgets."
Father nodded.
"The machine is trying to erase you."
The observatory doors opened.
The machine at the center of the room glowed brighter.
A recording began.
Grandfather appeared.
Older.
Exhausted.
Broken.
"If you are watching this..."
"...then the final correction has begun."
The recording showed him standing beside the machine.
"I thought I could save my family."
"I thought I could create a perfect timeline."
"But I learned something too late."
He looked directly at the camera.
"Perfect worlds do not exist."
"Only worlds where people choose what matters."
The recording continued.
"The child was never the problem."
"The child was the solution."
Father looked confused.
"What does that mean?"
Grandfather answered from the recording.
"The machine cannot repair history."
"It can only remove contradictions."
"And the child..."
"He is the contradiction that proves history can change."
The room went silent.
I understood before Father did.
"The machine isn't trying to erase me because I'm wrong."
I whispered.
"It's trying to erase me because I'm proof."
Proof that the future wasn't fixed.
Proof that mistakes could become miracles.
Proof that people weren't prisoners of what had already happened.
The machine began to shake violently.
The manor trembled.
Walls cracked.
Outside, the statues in the garden started changing.
Some disappeared.
Others appeared.
A dozen different versions of Ravenshollow flickered in and out of existence.
Father grabbed my hand.
"We have to leave."
But I didn't move.
"No."
He looked at me.
"What?"
"If I leave..."
"The machine keeps changing everything."
"We'll never stop it."
His face changed.
Because he knew I was right.
"What are you going to do?"
I looked at the machine.
"I'll fix it."
We entered the heart of the mechanism.
Inside were thousands of crystal cylinders.
Each contained memories.
Not numbers.
Not calculations.
Memories.
A first kiss.
A child's laugh.
A goodbye.
A funeral.
A birthday.
The machine wasn't storing time.
It was storing choices.
A message appeared.
SELECT THE ORIGINAL TIMELINE.
Thousands of options appeared.
Thousands of versions of our lives.
In one, Father became wealthy.
In another, Mother lived longer.
In another, Grandfather succeeded.
In another, none of us existed.
Every timeline had something beautiful.
Every timeline had something painful.
There was no perfect answer.
Then I saw something.
A final option.
Not a timeline.
A blank space.
CREATE NEW POSSIBILITY.
I understood.
Grandfather had spent his life trying to repair the past.
But the machine was never meant to repair anything.
It was meant to give someone the courage to stop trying.
Father looked at me.
"What are you doing?"
"Choosing something different."
"You don't know what happens."
"No."
I smiled sadly.
"That's the point."
I placed my hand on the machine.
The entire observatory went silent.
The clocks stopped.
Every single one.
Then the machine asked:
WHAT SHOULD REMAIN?
I thought about the answer.
Not money.
Not fame.
Not perfect happiness.
Not a life without pain.
I thought about my father.
The man who had lied because he was afraid.
The man who loved me enough to fear losing me.
I thought about Grandfather.
A man who tried to defeat time because he couldn't accept grief.
I thought about the priest.
The lawyer.
The people who vanished.
Lives erased because someone wanted a better world.
I answered:
"Let people keep their choices."
The machine went dark.
For several moments, nothing happened.
Then...
The clocks began again.
Slowly.
One by one.
The next morning, Ravenshollow was different.
Not changed.
Settled.
The observatory remained.
The machine remained.
But it was quiet.
Sleeping.
The missing people returned.
Not physically.
But in memory.
The priest had existed.
The lawyer had existed.
The family photographs returned.
The world stopped fighting itself.
Years later, I asked my father a question.
"Do you still think I'm not your son?"
He smiled.
"I think you're my son because I chose you."
"But you didn't choose to have me."
"No."
He looked toward the garden.
"Neither did I choose the rain."
"Or the sunrise."
"Or the day I met your mother."
"Some of the best things in life happen before we understand them."
I eventually learned the full truth.
Grandfather had not created the machine to save his daughter.
That was only the beginning.
The real purpose was hidden beneath everything.
He knew humanity would one day create something powerful enough to control time.
And he feared what people would do.
So he built a warning.
A machine that would teach future generations one lesson:
The past cannot be perfected.
The final secret was discovered after my father's death.
Hidden behind the last panel of the machine was one final message from Grandfather.
Not for scientists.
Not for historians.
For me.
It read:
"If you are reading this, then you succeeded where I failed."
"You accepted what I could not."
"You allowed time to remain unfinished."
"That is the greatest gift humanity has ever been given."
I kept the brass pocket watch my father carried that night we arrived at Ravenshollow.
It never worked properly.
The hands always stopped at midnight.
For years I thought it was broken.
Then one evening, when I was older than my father had been when he first brought me to the manor, I opened it.
Inside was a small engraving.
A message I had never seen.
Three words.
WE HAVE TIME.
People often ask me whether I regret not knowing the truth earlier.
Whether I wish my childhood had been normal.
Whether I wish my life had followed a simpler path.
I tell them no.
Because a normal life is only normal from the inside.
Every person carries invisible histories.
Every family has moments that almost happened.
Every future is built from choices nobody notices.
Sometimes I visit Ravenshollow Manor.
The clocks are still there.
The machine is still there.
But it remains silent.
Waiting.
Not because it is broken.
Because it finally understands its purpose.
It was never created to save us from time.
It was created to remind us that time was never our enemy.
On my final visit, I stood in the observatory one last time.
I looked at the thousands of clocks.
The endless possibilities.
The lives that existed.
The lives that disappeared.
And I remembered the first night.
The train.
The storm.
My father's hand holding mine.
His voice trying to comfort me.
"We have plenty of time."
I finally understood what he meant.
He wasn't saying we had enough time to reach our destination.
He was saying something much sadder.
Something he had known from the beginning.
Because the train had never been taking us toward Ravenshollow.
The machine had already activated before we arrived.
The accident had already happened.
The timeline was already collapsing.
My father had looked at the clock.
He had seen the impossible distance ahead.
He had held my hand anyway.
And as the final memory returned, I finally heard the words he had whispered when he thought I was asleep.
Not a promise.
Not reassurance.
An acceptance.
Because no matter how many times we changed the past, no matter how many versions we created, no matter how hard we tried to reach the life we wanted...
We were never going to make it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment