Thursday, 6 August 2026

The Night Shift Part 2: The Truth Between Heartbeats

The Night Shift Part 2: The Truth Between Heartbeats The words echoed through the ICU hallway long after Elaine Harrison had spoken them. "Robert told me years ago that if he ever ended up in this hospital, you would try to destroy what's left of our family." Amelia stood frozen. It felt absurd. She had spent the last fifteen years trying to forget Robert Harrison existed. She had built a life that never depended on him—a nursing career, a small apartment, loyal friends, and a quiet routine. If fate hadn't wheeled him through the emergency room doors that night, she would have gone the rest of her life without seeing him again. Destroy his family? She had never even met them. Marcus appeared from the nurses' station, sensing the tension. "Everything alright?" Elaine forced a polite smile. "Family matter." Marcus looked at Amelia. Her pale face told him everything. "If you need me..." She gave a slight nod. After he walked away, Amelia looked directly at Elaine. "I don't know what Robert told you, but I didn't even know he was alive until three hours ago." Elaine crossed her arms. "That's not what he believed." "And you believed him?" "I was his wife." The sentence stung more than Amelia expected. Was. Not is. For the first time Amelia noticed Elaine's trembling hands. Despite the anger in her voice, she looked exhausted—like someone who had spent years carrying invisible weight. The young man beside her finally spoke. "Mom...maybe not here." Elaine sighed. "You're right." She looked at Amelia one last time. "If Robert wants to tell you everything...that's his choice." They disappeared into Room Seven. Amelia couldn't stop thinking about one sentence. Tell Amelia the truth before it's too late. The truth. Not an explanation. Not an apology. The truth. They weren't the same thing. At six o'clock, dawn began to paint the eastern sky, but the hospital remained trapped beneath artificial light. The night shift was ending. Most nurses were counting the minutes until they could go home. Amelia wasn't. She sat in the staff lounge staring at her untouched breakfast. Marcus entered carrying two muffins. "You've eaten nothing." "I'm not hungry." He placed one beside her anyway. "So..." "So." "You going home?" "I don't think I can." Marcus nodded. "I figured." After a long silence, he asked, "What if he really has something important to tell you?" Amelia looked at him. "Would it change anything?" "I don't know." "Neither do I." An hour later, Dr. Collins approached. "Robert's asking for you again." Amelia closed the patient chart she was pretending to read. "He's stable?" "Yes." "He can talk?" "For short periods." Dr. Collins hesitated. "You don't have to go." Amelia stood. "No." "I think I do." Room Seven was quiet. Morning sunlight slipped through the blinds. Robert Harrison looked older than seventy. His skin had lost its color. His once-broad shoulders had become thin beneath the hospital blanket. When Amelia entered, his eyes slowly opened. For several seconds neither spoke. Then tears filled his eyes. "You look..." His voice cracked. "...just like your mother." Amelia remained standing. "Don't." "I'm sorry." "Don't say her name." He nodded weakly. "I deserve that." Silence settled between them. Finally Amelia asked, "What truth?" Robert looked toward the window. "I made a promise." "To who?" "Your mother." Amelia frowned. "My mother died ten years ago." "I know." "I was there." She stared. "No." "You weren't." "I was." "What are you talking about?" Robert swallowed painfully. "I came after everyone left." Amelia's heartbeat quickened. "I sat beside her grave until sunrise." She laughed bitterly. "So what?" "It doesn't erase anything." "No." "It doesn't." He closed his eyes. "But I couldn't let you see me." "Start talking." Robert nodded slowly. "The day I left..." "...I wasn't leaving because I stopped loving you." Amelia almost walked out. "I've heard enough." "It's true." "You married someone else." "I know." "You started another family." "I know." "You abandoned us." He whispered, "Yes." "Then why?" Robert's eyes filled with tears. "Because your mother asked me to." The room went silent. Amelia stared. "What?" "She made me leave." "You're lying." "I'm not." "My mother loved you." "She did." "Then why?" Robert looked broken. "Because she was dying." Amelia shook her head. "No." "She wasn't diagnosed until years later." Robert closed his eyes. "That's what she wanted you to believe." The words hit like a hammer. "No." "She knew." "No." "She'd been diagnosed months before." "Stop." "The cancer had already spread." "Stop lying!" The heart monitor began beeping faster. Robert struggled to breathe. "I begged her to tell you." Amelia backed away. "No..." "She wouldn't." "Why?" "Because she wanted you to finish nursing school." Tears rolled down Robert's cheeks. "She said if you knew..." "...you'd quit school to take care of her." Amelia felt the room spinning. Every memory she'd built her life around suddenly cracked. Robert continued. "She made me promise." "Promise what?" "To become someone you could hate." Amelia couldn't breathe. "I don't understand." "She said grief is easier than guilt." He looked at her with unbearable sadness. "If you hated me..." "...you wouldn't blame yourself for not saving her." Amelia stumbled into the hallway. The walls seemed to close around her. Fifteen years. She had hated him. Blamed him. Cursed him. Every birthday. Every Christmas. Every Mother's Day. Because she believed he'd chosen another family. Had her mother really asked him to leave? No. It couldn't be. It made no sense. Unless... Unless it explained why her mother never once criticized Robert after he left. She never called him selfish. Never called him cruel. Whenever Amelia complained, her mother simply said, "People carry burdens you can't always see." At the time, Amelia thought it was kindness. Now... She wasn't sure. Marcus found her sitting on the floor beside the stairwell. Without asking questions, he sat beside her. She finally whispered, "My entire life..." "...might have been a lie." He didn't interrupt. She told him everything. When she finished, Marcus remained silent for a long time. Finally he said, "If it's true..." "...that's one impossible promise." Amelia nodded. "He let me hate him." "For fifteen years." That afternoon, Amelia returned to Robert's room. "I need proof." He nodded. "In my apartment." "Where?" "Top drawer of my desk." "There's a blue envelope." "I never had the courage to mail it." Elaine overheard everything. "So..." she said quietly, "You finally told her." Robert nodded. "I'm sorry." Elaine smiled sadly. "I've been waiting fifteen years." Amelia looked between them. "You knew?" Elaine answered softly. "From the beginning." "You still married him?" "He didn't love me the way he loved your mother." The honesty stunned Amelia. "He married me because I had two frightened children who'd just lost their father." She looked at her son. "We needed someone." Robert whispered, "And I needed somewhere to keep my promise." Elaine smiled through tears. "It wasn't a perfect marriage." "But it wasn't a fake one either." Amelia looked at the young man. "You are...?" "Michael." He extended a hand. She hesitated before shaking it. "I've always wanted to meet you." She frowned. "What?" "My mom talked about you." Elaine nodded. "We knew about you." "Every birthday Robert bought two presents." Amelia blinked. "He kept yours." "What?" Michael smiled sadly. "They're all still in the attic." "He couldn't send them." "He said it would break the promise." Amelia covered her mouth. Fifteen birthdays. Hidden in boxes. Waiting. For the first time since entering the room, Amelia looked at Robert not as the villain of her story... ...but as an exhausted old man carrying decades of silence. Forgiveness still felt impossible. Understanding did not. That evening, as Amelia prepared to leave, Michael caught up with her near the elevator. "I need to tell you something." His voice shook. "What is it?" He looked around to make sure they were alone. "The blue envelope..." "...don't read it in front of my mother." "Why?" "Because she doesn't know everything." Amelia's heart sank. "I thought she knew." "So did I." Michael swallowed hard. "Until yesterday." He reached into his jacket and removed a small silver key. "I found this in Dad's wallet after he collapsed." He placed it in Amelia's palm. "It's for a safety deposit box." She frowned. "What's inside?" "I don't know." "But Dad told me..." "...if anything ever happened to him..." "...only you were supposed to open it." Before Amelia could ask another question, Michael lowered his eyes. "I'm sorry." "For what?" His face crumpled with guilt. "For lying to everyone." "What are you talking about?" His voice barely rose above a whisper. "The heart attack..." "...wasn't an accident." Amelia felt every muscle in her body go rigid. "What did you say?" Michael's eyes filled with tears. "I gave him the pills." The hallway seemed to tilt beneath her feet. "He begged me not to tell anyone." "I thought they were harmless." "I didn't know mixing them with his heart medication could kill him." He buried his face in his hands. "I'm the reason he's here." Amelia stood speechless. But Michael wasn't finished. "There was one more thing..." He looked directly into her eyes. "My father wasn't protecting your mother's secret anymore." "He was protecting mine." Amelia's stomach dropped. "What secret?" Michael whispered the words that shattered everything she thought she had finally begun to understand. "I'm not Robert Harrison's son." He paused, tears streaming down his face. "But according to the documents in that safety deposit box... ...I might be your mother's." The elevator doors opened behind them with a soft chime. Neither of them moved. For a long moment, all Amelia could hear was the steady hum of the hospital and the distant rhythm of heart monitors. The longest night of her life was far from over

No comments:

Post a Comment