Thursday, 20 August 2026

THE ROAD THAT REMEMBERED PART TWO — WHEN SHE REMEMBERS

THE ROAD THAT REMEMBERED PART TWO — WHEN SHE REMEMBERS The first thing Elena remembered was the smell of rain. The second was blood. The third was a little boy screaming: “Mom, don't let them take me.” She woke with a gasp. The truck was still moving. For several seconds she didn't know where she was. Then she remembered the road. Daniel was driving. Noah was asleep in the back seat. Morning sunlight poured through the windshield. Elena pressed a hand against her chest. Her heart was hammering. Daniel glanced at her. “You okay?” She stared at him. “I remembered something.” His hands tightened around the steering wheel. “What?” “A hospital.” Daniel went pale. “What about it?” “I was there.” “Yes.” “I was holding a baby.” Daniel didn't answer. Elena turned toward him. “Why didn't you tell me?” “Because I didn't want to force the memories.” “You knew they'd come back.” “Yes.” “When?” “When you met Noah.” She looked into the rearview mirror. Her son was sleeping beneath an old blanket. His face was peaceful. Too peaceful. She turned back. “What else don't I remember?” Daniel said nothing. “Daniel.” “Too much.” They drove for another hour. Noah woke. “Where are we going?” “West,” Daniel said. “That isn't a destination.” “No.” “Where's the destination?” Daniel looked at Elena. “Your mother left something in Arizona.” Elena frowned. “What?” “A house.” “My mother never owned a house in Arizona.” “She did.” “How do you know?” “Because I was there.” Elena stared at him. Again. Another secret. Another piece of her life hidden behind his silence. She was beginning to hate secrets more than anything. “I'm done being protected.” Daniel looked at her. “Elena—” “No.” She pointed toward Noah. “You lied to him.” Daniel glanced at the boy. “You lied to me.” He said nothing. “You lied because you thought you knew what was best.” “I was trying to keep you alive.” “And now?” Daniel's eyes darkened. “Now I'm trying to keep both of you alive.” Elena looked out the window. The landscape rolled past. Mountains. Desert. Telephone poles. The endless road. Then she saw something in the distance. A billboard. A photograph. She nearly screamed. It was her. A photograph of Elena at seventeen. Beneath it: MISSING SINCE 2007 She stared. “I wasn't missing.” Daniel's face became grim. “You were.” “No.” “You disappeared for nine days.” She turned to him. “What?” “You don't remember?” “No.” “You were seventeen.” “I remember the hospital.” “That came afterward.” Elena stared at the billboard. The photograph was wrong. Not the face. The expression. She looked terrified. And behind her stood a man. Daniel. But he was younger. Holding a newborn baby. Noah. Elena whispered: “That photograph was taken after he was born.” “Yes.” “Why would I be missing?” Daniel didn't answer. Noah sat up. “Because they took you.” Elena turned. “What?” Noah looked frightened. “You don't remember the room.” “What room?” “The white room.” Daniel slammed the brakes. The truck skidded onto the shoulder. He turned around. “Noah.” “What?” “Who told you about the white room?” “My grandmother.” Elena's blood ran cold. “What white room?” Noah looked at her. “The one where they made you forget me.” They stopped at an abandoned diner. Daniel locked the doors. Elena sat across from Noah. “What happened to me?” Noah looked at her carefully. “You were part of the program.” “I know.” “No.” He shook his head. “You don't.” Daniel joined them. Noah continued. “They didn't just study me.” He looked at Elena. “They studied you first.” “What did they do?” “They learned how your memory worked.” Elena felt sick. “Why?” “Because you remembered things you weren't supposed to remember.” “What things?” “The future.” Silence. Daniel closed his eyes. Elena stared at him. “You knew.” “Yes.” “How?” “Because I saw the records.” “What records?” “Your mother's.” Elena stood. “My mother?” “She knew.” “No.” “She helped them.” Elena shook her head. “No.” “She signed the consent forms.” “No.” “She gave them access to you.” “No!” Her voice echoed through the empty diner. Noah flinched. Elena lowered her voice. “My mother loved me.” “She did.” “Then she wouldn't.” “She believed she was saving you.” “From what?” Daniel looked at Noah. “From yourself.” The first memory came violently. Elena was seventeen. Pregnant. Standing in a hospital corridor. Her mother was crying. Daniel was beside her. A doctor stood in front of them. “We can save the baby.” Elena remembered saying: “Then save him.” The doctor shook his head. “It's not that simple.” A room. Bright white. Machines. A newborn crying. Elena holding him. “His name is Noah.” The doctor smiled. “Of course.” Then a needle. A burning sensation. Her mother's voice. “I'm sorry.” Elena screamed. The memory disappeared. She fell to the diner floor. Daniel caught her. “Easy.” She pushed him away. “My mother drugged me.” “Yes.” “She took my baby.” “Yes.” “She made me forget.” “Yes.” Elena stared at him. “And you let her.” Daniel looked destroyed. “I was seventeen too.” “You knew.” “I found out years later.” “You could have told me.” “You were already married.” Elena froze. “What?” Daniel swallowed. “You married someone else.” She stared. “Who?” “Marcus.” The name meant nothing. Daniel continued. “You married Marcus Hale.” Elena's face went blank. “Who is Marcus?” Daniel looked at her. “That's the problem.” Marcus Hale was not a stranger. He was the man Elena had thought was her husband. She remembered him. Suddenly. His laugh. His hands. His voice. Their wedding. Their house. Their arguments. His favorite coffee. His funeral. No. Not his funeral. His disappearance. Six years ago. Three days before Daniel's accident. Elena's head began pounding. She remembered Marcus standing in the kitchen. “You can't know.” She had asked: “Know what?” He had smiled. “You're safer if you don't.” Then he had left. She had never seen him again. She had believed he abandoned her. But now another memory appeared. Marcus was standing beside her mother. Both were watching Noah through glass. And Marcus said: “She remembers.” Her mother replied: “Then erase it.” Elena gasped. Daniel caught her. “No.” She whispered: “Marcus was one of them.” “Yes.” “My husband.” “Yes.” “My mother.” “Yes.” She looked at Noah. “And you knew?” Noah shook his head. “I knew he was bad.” “You knew him?” “Yes.” “When?” “He used to visit me.” Elena stared. “What did he do?” Noah's expression changed. “He told me you would come back for me.” They left the diner. The road was empty. Daniel drove. Elena sat beside him. Noah watched the horizon. Nobody spoke. After an hour, Noah said: “They're close.” Daniel looked at him. “How close?” “Twenty minutes.” Elena frowned. “How do you know?” “I can see the pattern.” “What pattern?” “The cars.” He pointed behind them. Three vehicles. Same distance. Same speed. Daniel swore. “Hold on.” He accelerated. The cars followed. Elena looked at Noah. “How does your ability work?” “I don't know.” “Do you see the future?” “No.” “Then what?” “I see what people are going to do.” “That's impossible.” Noah smiled. “Mom, you've forgotten more impossible things than you remember.” The chase began. Three cars became five. Five became seven. Daniel drove off the highway. They tore across the desert. Dust swallowed the truck. Bullets struck the rear window. Noah ducked. Elena covered him. Daniel shouted: “There's a bridge ahead!” “What bridge?” “Old railway bridge.” “Can we cross?” “If it holds.” It didn't. The truck crashed through a barrier. Elena screamed. They landed hard on the other side. Daniel lost control. The truck spun. Noah flew sideways. Elena grabbed him. Then— silence. The truck stopped. For several seconds, nobody moved. Then Noah whispered: “I'm bleeding.” Elena turned. Blood covered his forehead. “Daniel!” “I’m fine.” “Your arm.” Daniel looked down. His left arm was twisted unnaturally. He grimaced. “Not fine.” Elena looked toward the approaching vehicles. “They'll be here soon.” Daniel nodded. “Then we walk.” They reached an abandoned railway tunnel. Inside, it was dark. Noah led them. “How do you know where you're going?” “My grandmother showed me.” Elena stopped. “What?” “Before she died.” “What did she show you?” “The road.” Elena stared. “What's the road?” Noah turned. “It's not a road.” He pointed deeper into the tunnel. “It's a network.” Daniel looked alarmed. “That's impossible.” Noah shook his head. “No.” He smiled. “It's older than the program.” The tunnel opened into a massive underground station. Elena stared. Old railway tracks stretched in every direction. Abandoned trains stood beneath flickering lights. Maps covered the walls. Every city. Every highway. Every border. Every route. A single red line crossed the country. At the center was a symbol. A circle divided into three sections. Elena recognized it. Her mother's necklace. She had seen it all her childhood. She had never known what it meant. Daniel whispered: “This isn't The Road.” Noah shook his head. “No.” “What is it?” “The people who built The Road.” Elena looked at him. “Who?” Noah pointed toward a photograph. Elena stepped closer. The photograph showed twelve people. Scientists. Politicians. Doctors. Military officers. And in the center— her mother. Beside her stood Marcus. Beside Marcus— Professor Bell. Elena's heart stopped. “Bell.” Daniel stared. “Bell is dead.” Noah shook his head. “No.” He pointed to another photograph. Bell. Older. Alive. Standing beside a young woman. Elena. Her own mother. And a newborn baby. Noah. The date read: 2007. Elena's knees weakened. “This is impossible.” Noah whispered: “No.” He pointed at the photograph. “This is where it started.” A voice came from the darkness. “Not quite.” They turned. A woman stepped into the light. Elena stopped breathing. It was her. Not a photograph. Not a memory. Another Elena. Older. Scarred. Her hair was streaked with gray. She held a gun. Daniel raised his weapon. The older Elena smiled. “Put it down.” Daniel obeyed. Elena couldn't speak. The older woman walked toward her. “You finally remembered.” Elena whispered: “Who are you?” The woman smiled sadly. “You.” “No.” “Yes.” “You're lying.” “I wish I were.” Noah stepped forward. “Mom?” The older Elena looked at him. Her face crumbled. “My son.” Noah froze. “You know me.” “I've known you longer than she has.” She pointed at Elena. “Much longer.” Elena shook her head. “How?” The older Elena lowered the gun. “Because I'm the reason you survived.” Daniel stared. “What are you talking about?” The older Elena looked at him. “You're the reason she forgot.” Daniel went pale. “What?” “You were supposed to die six years ago.” “I did.” “No.” She smiled. “You died in one timeline.” Daniel's face drained of color. “Another timeline?” The older Elena nodded. “You've been running from yourself.” The truth came slowly. There had never been one Elena. The program had discovered something extraordinary in Elena's brain. Her memories could survive displacement. She could remember alternate possibilities. The researchers tried to use her. She escaped. But every escape created another version of her. Some died. Some survived. Some became researchers. Some became fugitives. Some became monsters. The woman standing before them was one of those versions. She had spent decades trying to destroy The Road. And she had failed. Until now. “You're the one in the photograph,” Elena whispered. “Yes.” “The one who said they had Noah.” “Yes.” “You brought me here.” “Yes.” “Why?” The older Elena looked at Daniel. “Because he has to die.” Noah stepped between them. “No.” The older Elena shook her head. “You don't understand.” “He saved us.” “He caused all of this.” Daniel looked at her. “How?” She answered: “Because six years ago, you didn't discover The Road.” Daniel frowned. “You created it.” Silence. Elena turned toward him. Daniel looked horrified. “No.” The older Elena continued. “You discovered the first route.” “I was investigating.” “No.” She pointed to him. “You were trying to bring Elena back.” Elena froze. “What does that mean?” The older woman said: “Daniel didn't survive the crash.” She looked at Elena. “He died.” Elena's heart shattered. “Then who came back?” The older Elena smiled. “Something that remembered him.” The lights went out. Gunfire erupted. Everyone scattered. Noah screamed. Daniel grabbed Elena. “Run!” They disappeared into the tunnel. Behind them, the older Elena shouted: “Don't trust him!” Elena kept running. “Daniel!” “I know!” “She said you aren't real.” “I know!” “Is she right?” Daniel didn't answer. They reached an old train. Daniel pulled open the door. “Inside.” Noah climbed in. Elena followed. Daniel remained outside. She grabbed his hand. “Come with us.” He looked at her. His eyes were filled with unbearable sadness. “I can't.” “Why?” “Because she's right.” Elena froze. “What?” Daniel whispered: “I died six years ago.” She stared. “No.” “I remember now.” “No.” “I remember the bridge.” “No.” “The water.” “Daniel—” “The pain.” He smiled. “And then nothing.” Elena began crying. “So who are you?” Daniel looked at her. “I don't know.” Noah stepped forward. “Dad.” Daniel looked at him. For the first time, his face broke. “I'm sorry.” The train began moving. Elena reached for him. “Daniel!” He stepped backward. “Go!” “Daniel!” “Go!” The doors closed. The train carried Elena and Noah into darkness. Through the window, Elena saw Daniel standing alone on the platform. Then the lights swallowed him. The train traveled for hours. Neither Elena nor Noah spoke. Eventually, they reached the desert. The train stopped. They stepped outside. Dawn was breaking. Elena sat on the ground. She cried. Noah sat beside her. “Is he dead?” She nodded. “I think so.” Noah looked at the horizon. “He wasn't.” “What?” “He wasn't dead.” Elena looked at him. “How do you know?” Noah pointed toward the mountains. “Because he's there.” A black sedan emerged from the road. It stopped. The door opened. Daniel stepped out. Alive. Elena stood. “No.” Daniel smiled. “Hello, Ellie.” She couldn't move. Noah whispered: “That's not Dad.” Elena looked at him. “What?” Noah backed away. “That's not him.” Daniel's smile disappeared. Then he looked at Noah. His eyes changed. Cold. Empty. Mechanical. He raised a gun. Elena stepped in front of her son. Daniel whispered: “Run.” She froze. He fired. But the bullet went past them. Daniel turned toward the mountains. Other cars appeared behind him. Hundreds. The Road had found them. And Elena finally understood the last piece. The chase had never been about Noah. It had never been about her. It had never even been about Daniel. It was about which version of Elena would survive. Because somewhere in those mountains was the original laboratory. And inside it was the one thing The Road had spent decades trying to recover. A machine. A machine capable of bringing back the dead. A machine that had already brought Daniel back. And as Elena grabbed Noah's hand and ran toward the mountains, she heard a voice through the loudspeaker behind them. Her own voice. Older. Colder. “Keep running, Elena.” A pause. “You're almost where I need you.” Elena looked at Noah. “What does she mean?” Noah's face had gone white. “She isn't talking to you.” “Then who?” He looked toward the mountains. “To me.” The road disappeared beneath their feet. And Elena realized, with horror, that the person who had been chasing them all this time— was not trying to kill her son. She was trying to replace him.

No comments:

Post a Comment