Friday, 7 August 2026
The Last Day of Work Part 2: The Truth Between Lies
The Last Day of Work
Part 2: The Truth Between Lies
Daniel Vale had spent his entire adult life believing that the truth was something solid.
Something you could find.
Something you could prove.
Numbers did not lie.
Documents did not lie.
Evidence did not lie.
But standing in his apartment at midnight, staring at the woman who was supposed to be dead to him, Daniel realized something terrifying.
People lied.
And sometimes they built entire lives out of those lies.
His mother sat across from him at the kitchen table.
Her hands wrapped tightly around a cup of untouched tea.
She looked older than the woman in his memories.
Time had carved itself into her face.
But her eyes were the same.
The same eyes that used to read him bedtime stories.
The same eyes that had cried when he left for college.
The same eyes he had spent nineteen years trying to forget.
"Say something," she whispered.
Daniel stared at her.
"I don't know what to say."
"You have every right to hate me."
"I do."
The words came out faster than he expected.
His mother's face fell.
"I know."
"You disappeared."
"I know."
"You let me believe you abandoned me."
"I know."
"You didn't even come to Dad's funeral."
She closed her eyes.
"I was there."
Daniel froze.
"What?"
"I stood across the street."
"Why?"
"Because if I walked in..."
Her voice broke.
"...they would have killed you."
Daniel stood abruptly.
"Who?"
His mother looked at the file on the table.
"Vantage."
"You're telling me a company killed people?"
"No."
She shook her head.
"I'm telling you Vantage isn't a company."
"It's a machine."
"A machine built by people who learned how to hide behind a legal name."
Daniel remembered Jonathan Reed's calm expression.
The warnings.
The threats disguised as advice.
"You knew Jonathan?"
His mother looked away.
"Yes."
"How?"
"Because I helped build Vantage."
The confession landed harder than anything else.
Daniel stepped back.
"What?"
"I was there at the beginning."
"You worked for them?"
"I worked against them."
"That doesn't make sense."
"No."
She swallowed.
"Not yet."
Her name was Elizabeth Carter.
Before she became Daniel's mother, she was Elizabeth Hale.
A financial investigator.
One of the best in the country.
Twenty-five years earlier, she had been hired to examine a series of suspicious charity accounts.
She discovered a pattern.
Money disappeared.
Organizations collapsed.
People responsible were never charged.
Every trail ended at the same place.
A small investment firm.
Vantage.
At the time, it was nothing more than a few offices and ambitious employees.
Including Daniel's father.
Thomas Vale.
"He wasn't always a criminal," Elizabeth said quietly.
Daniel said nothing.
"He was brilliant."
"Kind."
"He believed he could change the financial world."
She smiled sadly.
"Then he discovered power was easier than change."
Daniel looked at the file.
"Why didn't you expose him?"
"I tried."
"And?"
"He found out."
The room became silent.
"Your father gave me a choice."
"Leave forever."
"Or watch Daniel suffer."
Daniel felt a sharp pain in his chest.
"He threatened me?"
Elizabeth nodded.
"He told me if I ever contacted you, he would make sure your life was destroyed."
Daniel laughed bitterly.
"He did a great job anyway."
His mother looked at him.
"What happened?"
Daniel hesitated.
Then he told her.
The investigation.
The missing files.
The sudden suspicion.
The forced resignation.
The anonymous messages.
When he finished, Elizabeth looked terrified.
"He's active again."
"Who?"
"Your father."
Daniel shook his head.
"He's dead."
"No."
She opened the file again.
A document slid across the table.
A signature at the bottom.
Thomas Vale.
Dated two months ago.
Daniel stared.
His father was alive.
A memory suddenly returned.
A small detail from childhood.
His father had always told him:
"Never trust people who tell you they have nothing to hide."
At the time, Daniel thought it was wisdom.
Now it sounded like a confession.
The next morning, Daniel returned to Vantage.
Not as an employee.
Not as an investigator.
As someone looking for answers.
The building looked exactly the same.
Glass walls.
Polished floors.
People walking confidently through the lobby.
None of them knew the foundation beneath their feet was cracking.
The receptionist looked surprised.
"Mr. Vale?"
"I'm here to see Jonathan."
"He isn't expecting you."
"I know."
Jonathan Reed was waiting.
As if he knew Daniel would come.
"You met her."
Daniel stopped.
"You knew?"
Jonathan smiled.
"Your mother has a habit of returning when things become inconvenient."
Daniel's anger rose.
"Where is my father?"
Jonathan didn't answer.
Instead, he poured two glasses of water.
"Sit."
"No."
Jonathan sighed.
"You are exactly like him."
"Like who?"
"Thomas."
The name felt poisonous.
"You knew him."
"I worked with him for twenty years."
"You helped him."
Jonathan looked away.
"Yes."
"Then why are you afraid?"
For the first time, Jonathan's expression changed.
Fear.
Real fear.
"Because Thomas doesn't forgive."
Daniel leaned forward.
"What happened to my father?"
Jonathan stared at the city outside.
"After your mother disappeared, Thomas became worse."
"He believed everyone betrayed him."
"He built Vantage into something untouchable."
"Then one day..."
"He vanished."
Daniel frowned.
"You said he wasn't dead."
"I said he disappeared."
"Where?"
Jonathan looked at him.
"That's what your mother has been trying to find out."
Daniel returned home that evening.
His mother was gone.
On the table was another envelope.
This one was not addressed to him.
It was addressed to her.
Elizabeth.
Inside was a note.
Only one sentence.
You should have told him what you did.
Daniel's stomach tightened.
Underneath was a photograph.
A photograph from twenty years earlier.
His mother.
Jonathan Reed.
And his father.
Standing together.
Smiling.
Daniel heard footsteps behind him.
He turned.
A man stood in the doorway.
Older.
Gray hair.
A familiar scar above his eyebrow.
Daniel knew him immediately.
Even though he had not seen him in nineteen years.
His father.
Thomas Vale.
Alive.
The man who had been dead.
The man who had built Vantage.
The man whose secrets had destroyed everything.
Thomas looked at his son.
For a moment, neither spoke.
Then Thomas whispered:
"I always wondered what kind of man you would become."
Daniel's hands clenched.
"You watched me?"
Thomas stepped inside.
"I protected you."
"You ruined my life."
"I saved it."
"How?"
Thomas looked toward the photograph on the table.
Then back at Daniel.
"Because the truth about your mother..."
"...is worse than anything I ever did."
Daniel froze.
"My mother?"
Thomas nodded slowly.
"She didn't disappear because of me."
"She disappeared because she betrayed us."
The room went silent.
Daniel felt the ground shifting again.
Another version of the past was forming.
Another impossible truth.
Thomas stepped closer.
"Your mother didn't spend nineteen years hiding from Vantage."
"She spent nineteen years hiding what she did to Vantage."
Daniel stared at the man who had haunted his entire life.
"What did she do?"
Thomas looked toward the door.
Then whispered:
"She destroyed the company."
A pause.
"And then she rebuilt it."
Daniel felt cold.
"Why?"
Thomas's expression broke.
"Because she was never trying to bring Vantage down."
"She was trying to take control of it."
Daniel's phone buzzed.
A new message.
Unknown number.
YOUR FATHER IS TELLING THE TRUTH.
A second message arrived.
BUT HE ISN'T TELLING YOU EVERYTHING.
Daniel looked between his parents' secrets.
A mother who vanished.
A father who returned.
A company built on betrayal.
And a life he no longer recognized.
For the first time, Daniel understood something.
Quitting his job had not ended his career.
It had opened the door to a war that had started before he was born.
And he was no longer just investigating the truth.
He was part of it.
To be continued...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment