Thursday, 6 August 2026

Monday's Email

Monday's Email On Monday morning, Daniel Mercer arrived at the office eight minutes earlier than usual. Not because he loved his job. No one loved auditing insurance claims for Halcyon Mutual. The gray cubicles, humming fluorescent lights, and perpetually broken coffee machine had a way of draining enthusiasm before nine o'clock. Daniel simply preferred silence. Silence meant no one asking him to join fantasy football leagues. No one complaining about traffic. No one reminding him he looked tired. He hung his coat on the back of his chair, placed his lunch neatly in the mini-fridge beneath his desk, and powered on his computer. The familiar login screen blinked to life. Password. Two-factor authentication. Company dashboard. Inbox. Thirty-two unread emails. Twenty-eight were automated. Three were marked "High Priority." One sat at the very top. From: daniel.mercer@halcyonmail.com He frowned. That was his own address. Subject: READ THIS BEFORE 4:30 PM TODAY Daniel stared. He hadn't scheduled an email. There was no indication it had been forwarded or spoofed. It looked...normal. He clicked it. Daniel, You have exactly one chance to believe this. I'm you. Not metaphorically. Not psychologically. Actually you. Twenty years from now. Delete this email if you want. But if you keep reading, don't tell anyone. Do not call IT. Do not reply. And whatever happens— Don't let Melissa sign the Jefferson contract at 11:15. If she signs it, thirty-seven people die. I'll explain later. —Daniel Daniel laughed. Actually laughed. Some elaborate office prank. Probably Curtis from IT. He'd once changed everyone's desktop wallpaper to dancing llamas. Daniel clicked "View Header." Everything looked legitimate. Internal routing. Internal servers. Internal timestamps. Nothing unusual. He leaned back. "Morning!" Melissa arrived carrying a giant iced coffee. She smiled. "Morning." She was the senior claims manager. Forty-two. Efficient. Friendly. Completely incapable of remembering passwords. Daniel glanced at the email again. Don't let Melissa sign the Jefferson contract at 11:15. Coincidence. There had to be hundreds of contracts. He minimized the message. At 10:03 another email appeared. Same sender. Same subject line style. You didn't believe the first one. Fair. Here's proof. In exactly forty-three seconds, Martin will spill coffee on Linda. She'll yell, "This shirt cost more than your car." Martin will apologize six times. Count them. Daniel checked the clock. 10:03:17. Ridiculous. He looked toward accounting. Martin walked by balancing two coffees. Forty-three seconds. Nothing. Then— Someone called his name. Martin turned. Coffee flew. Linda gasped. Brown liquid soaked her white blouse. "This shirt cost more than your car!" Martin apologized. Once. Twice. Three. Four. Five. Six. Daniel felt cold. Another email. Immediately. Now you're listening. Good. You have until 11:15. Melissa cannot sign Jefferson. Do whatever you have to. Daniel hurried toward Melissa's office. She was reviewing paperwork. "Busy?" "Always." He closed the door. "Can I ask...what's the Jefferson contract?" She looked confused. "The Jefferson Logistics renewal." His stomach tightened. It existed. "When are you signing it?" She checked Outlook. "Eleven fifteen. Legal wants it before lunch." Exactly. "What happens if you don't?" She laughed. "Then Legal gets annoyed." Daniel searched her face. "What?" "Nothing." "You look pale." "I...I think there's an error in the documents." "There isn't." "You checked?" "Twice." Daniel hesitated. He couldn't exactly say, Future me emailed me because thirty-seven people die. "Please." Melissa frowned. "I'll review it one more time." "Before signing?" "Sure." She smiled politely. "You okay?" "No." At 10:48 another email arrived. Thank you. Buying time helps. You need exactly seventeen more minutes. The signatures aren't the problem. The meeting is. Daniel's pulse quickened. He replied before thinking. Who are you? Instant bounce-back. Mailbox unavailable. 11:02. Melissa headed toward Conference Room B carrying the contract. Daniel followed. Legal was already waiting. "So," Melissa said, "shall we begin?" Daniel interrupted. "Wait." Three lawyers turned toward him. Melissa sighed. "What now?" "I think...there's an issue with Jefferson's liability clause." "There isn't." "I need five minutes." One attorney frowned. "Mr. Mercer, unless you're counsel—" "I'm not." "Then perhaps—" "The liability schedule references an outdated amendment." It was a complete guess. The attorney blinked. "Which amendment?" Daniel opened the document randomly. Words blurred. Then another lawyer leaned closer. "...Actually..." Everyone stopped. She frowned. "Section twelve references Revision G." "So?" "It should be Revision H." Silence. Melissa blinked. "Seriously?" The attorney nodded. "We need corrected paperwork." Meeting postponed. 11:15 passed. Nothing happened. Daniel exhaled. Another email. 11:16. Good. Thirty-seven people are alive. Unfortunately... Now sixty-two people die instead. Daniel nearly dropped his phone. History doesn't disappear. It reroutes. You bought time. Not safety. The truck still leaves tomorrow. Different paperwork. Different route. Bigger bridge. You need to stop Jefferson entirely. He whispered, "What truck?" Over the next hour, emails continued. Each revealed another piece. Jefferson Logistics transported industrial cleaning chemicals. One container had microscopic structural fatigue. Routine inspections missed it. On Tuesday morning, vibration would rupture the tank. The toxic spill would trigger panic on the interstate. Vehicles would collide. Fire. Collapse. Deaths. Daniel tried contacting Jefferson anonymously. Ignored. Tried regulators. Voicemail. Tried police. Transferred. No evidence. Only impossible emails. At 1:14 PM— Another message. You're running out of time. You keep trying to save everyone. I remember doing that. It doesn't work. Daniel rubbed his temples. "What does that mean?" The reply arrived. Every future creates another disaster. The world balances itself. Save thirty-seven. Lose sixty-two. Save sixty-two. Lose eighty-one. You haven't figured it out yet because you're still the optimistic version. He stared. No. That couldn't be true. At 2:40 he drove to Jefferson's warehouse. Security refused entry. He claimed to be an auditor. Denied. Claimed fraud. Denied. Claimed bomb threat. Police arrived. He left before things worsened. Email. I did exactly that. Didn't help. "You watched me?" No response. Instead— A photograph. Daniel opened it. His blood froze. It showed him. Right now. Standing beside his car. Taken seconds earlier. Someone was watching. He spun around. Parking lot. Empty. Another message. I'm not watching. I'm remembering. Daniel returned to the office shaken. At 3:12, Melissa approached. "You okay?" "No." "You've said that twice today." "I know." "You want to talk?" He almost handed her the emails. Instead— "No." She nodded sadly. "Whatever it is..." She smiled. "I hope it gets better." 4:02 PM. Final email. Meet me. Storage Room C. 4:30. Come alone. Storage Room C was rarely used. Old monitors. Broken chairs. Boxes of archived files. Daniel opened the door. Empty. Until— A voice. "You're late." He turned. An older man emerged from behind stacked filing cabinets. Gray hair. Deep lines around the eyes. A scar across his chin. Daniel stared. It was like looking into a mirror aged twenty years. "You..." "I told you." Future Daniel smiled tiredly. "You finally came." "This isn't possible." "No." "But here we are." "How?" "Does it matter?" "It matters a lot." "It won't help." Older Daniel sat on an old filing cabinet. "You've already changed history." "I saved people." "For today." "I can save tomorrow." Older Daniel looked...heartbroken. "I remember believing that." "So tell me." "What actually happens?" Older Daniel sighed. "You stop the shipment." "Good." "It bankrupts Jefferson." Daniel frowned. "So?" "Three thousand employees lose their jobs." Daniel blinked. "Families lose homes." "Children lose healthcare." "Suicides increase." "Crime rises." "One desperate mechanic steals medication." "A girl dies because it isn't available." He continued. Every choice branched. Every rescue created another tragedy. Daniel's certainty crumbled. "So..." "What am I supposed to do?" "You choose." "There isn't a perfect future." "There never was." Silence. Finally Daniel whispered, "Then why email me?" Older Daniel looked away. "Because I couldn't accept that answer." "You just said—" "I know." "I spent twenty years trying to find one decision that saved everyone." "And?" "I failed." He laughed bitterly. "So I thought..." "...maybe a younger version of me could succeed." Daniel sat opposite him. "So this is hopeless." "I didn't say that." "You literally—" "I said perfection is impossible." Older Daniel leaned forward. "Better is possible." "Different is possible." "Kindness matters." "Small choices matter." "But every life?" "No." "No one gets that power." Daniel looked at the floor. "So who decides?" "No one." "That's the terrifying part." A phone vibrated. Not Daniel's. Older Daniel's. He checked it. His face fell. "It started." "The spill?" "No." "What?" Older Daniel slowly looked up. "The paradox." The room trembled. Boxes shook. Lights flickered. Daniel stumbled backward. "What is happening?" "I stayed too long." "You can't be here." "What?" "I changed the past by meeting you." "You emailed me!" "That was allowed." "This wasn't." Cracks spread through the air itself. Not walls. The air. Like glass. Older Daniel smiled sadly. "I always wondered." "Wondered what?" "If I'd forgive myself." Daniel's eyes filled. "I do." Older Daniel nodded. "Thank you." He began dissolving. Not dramatically. Quietly. Like dust caught in sunlight. "No!" Daniel reached forward. His hand passed through him. "You'll be okay." "You don't know that." Older Daniel smiled. "I remember." Then— He disappeared. Everything went still. Storage Room C was empty. No footprints. No phone. No evidence. Only silence. Daniel rushed back to his desk. Inbox. Every email was gone. Deleted? No. They had never existed. Melissa walked past. "You coming?" "Coming where?" "The Monday meeting." "What meeting?" She laughed. "The one we've had every Monday for six years." Daniel stared blankly. He couldn't remember. Had he imagined everything? He opened Sent Mail. Nothing. Drafts. Nothing. No trace. Weeks passed. Jefferson Logistics completed its contract. No spill happened. At least none reported. Life settled into routine. Daniel slowly convinced himself stress had caused some elaborate hallucination. He slept better. Worked better. Stopped checking every new email with dread. Eventually, Monday became just another day again. Until six months later. On a snowy Friday evening, Daniel volunteered at a community food bank after Melissa persuaded half the office to help. It wasn't something he normally did. He almost skipped it. But he remembered the older man's words. Kindness matters. The food bank was crowded. Families lined the walls. Children laughed despite empty cupboards waiting at home. Daniel spent hours carrying boxes, sorting donations, and helping an elderly man load groceries into a worn-out sedan. As he returned inside, he noticed a little girl tugging at her mother's sleeve. She couldn't have been older than seven. Dark curls. Bright green rain boots. She smiled at him. "Thank you, mister." He smiled back. "You're welcome." Melissa walked over carrying another box. "You know who that is?" Daniel shook his head. "The mother's name is Emily Jefferson." His heartbeat stopped. "Jefferson?" "Yeah." "Her husband died in a warehouse accident last month." Daniel stared at the family. Melissa continued quietly. "Company went bankrupt after losing a major contract." "What?" Daniel looked around. "I thought—" "They're trying to get back on their feet." Daniel couldn't breathe. He had never stopped the contract. He had never warned anyone. Jefferson shouldn't have gone bankrupt. Unless... His phone buzzed. A new email. From his own address. Subject: READ THIS BEFORE 4:30 PM TODAY Hands trembling, Daniel opened it. The message contained only one sentence. You finally noticed the twist. You were never receiving emails from your future. You were sending them to your past. Daniel frowned. Impossible. Then another line appeared, typing itself one letter at a time. Memory doesn't travel through time. Regret does. He looked at the little girl laughing with her mother. Then at Melissa. Then at the glowing screen. A final sentence appeared. See you in twenty years. The email vanished. This time, Daniel did not search for proof. He already understood. The future had never been fixed. The older man had never come back to change history. He had come back because every lifetime eventually produces enough regrets to wish it could. The inbox wasn't a machine. It was a mirror. And every Monday morning, somewhere in time, another version of Daniel would sit down at his desk believing that one perfect decision could save everyone—until he learned the truth that no one escapes: Life is not measured by the disasters you prevent, but by the compassion you choose despite knowing you cannot prevent them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment