Wednesday, 19 August 2026

Did You Hear That ?

The first time I heard the knocking, I was eight years old. It came from beneath the kitchen floor. Three slow knocks. Then silence. Knock. Knock. Knock. I remember sitting at the table with my feet tucked beneath me, watching my mother peel potatoes. Rain rattled against the windows, and the old house groaned whenever the wind pushed against it. My father was away that night. He worked late shifts at the railway station, and sometimes he didn't come home until morning. My mother kept peeling. I listened. Three more knocks. “Did you hear that?” My mother stopped. The potato peeler hung motionless in her hand. For several seconds, neither of us moved. Then she smiled. “No.” “Yes, you did.” “It was the pipes.” “We don't have pipes under the kitchen.” She looked at me. I remember the look clearly now. It wasn't confusion. It was fear. “Go upstairs,” she said. “But—” “Now.” I obeyed. I ran upstairs and climbed into bed. For the rest of the night, I heard nothing. The next morning, the kitchen floor had been repaired. A new wooden board covered the place beneath the table. When I asked my father what had happened, he said a rat had gotten into the crawl space. I believed him. Children believe whatever adults tell them when the alternative is frightening. I forgot about the knocking. At least, I thought I did. Twenty years later, I returned to the house. My mother had been dead for six months. The funeral was small. There were no relatives except me. My father had died eleven years earlier, and most of the people who had known my parents had disappeared from our lives long ago. The house had been empty since my mother's death. I had avoided it. But now it belonged to me. And I had to decide what to do with it. The house stood at the end of a narrow country road surrounded by fields. It looked smaller than I remembered. Children often remember houses as enormous. The staircase that had once seemed impossibly tall now had only twelve steps. The hallway that had once frightened me looked narrow and ordinary. The kitchen, however, was exactly the same. The old table. The cracked cupboards. The yellow curtains. And beneath the table— the repaired floorboard. I stood there for several minutes. Then I laughed at myself. I was thirty-eight years old. A grown woman. A lawyer. A person who dealt with facts, evidence and contracts. I didn't believe in ghosts. I certainly didn't believe in mysterious knocking beneath kitchen floors. I put down my suitcase. That evening, I ordered pizza. I opened a bottle of wine. I sat at the kitchen table and went through my mother's papers. She had left very little. Bank statements. Old photographs. Medical records. A few letters. Then I found the notebook. It was hidden inside the bottom drawer of the dresser. A black notebook with a red elastic band. I recognized it immediately. My mother had always kept a diary. She never allowed me to read it. I opened the first page. The entries were dated. Most were ordinary. April 4: Rain again. April 8: Daniel worked late. April 11: Sarah has a fever. I turned the pages. Then I reached a date I remembered. October 17. The night I had heard the knocking. My hands tightened around the notebook. The entry was short. Sarah heard it again. Nothing else. I turned the page. The next entry was dated three days later. Daniel says we must not speak about it. I stopped breathing. I read the next. She is asking questions. Then: We have to make her forget. I closed the notebook. My heart was pounding. I told myself there was an explanation. There had to be. Perhaps my mother had been writing about something else. Perhaps I'd misunderstood. I opened the notebook again. The next entry said: The first mistake was answering. I stared at the sentence. Then, from beneath the kitchen floor— Knock. Knock. Knock. The notebook fell from my hands. I froze. Another three knocks. I stood slowly. The sound had come from directly beneath the table. I moved closer. My heart beat so hard that I could feel it in my throat. I knelt. Pressed my ear against the floor. Nothing. I waited. Then— Knock. Knock. Knock. I jumped backward. “Who's there?” Silence. I laughed nervously. “Very funny.” Nothing. I stood. I walked into the hallway. Then I heard it again. Knock. Knock. Knock. I ran upstairs. I locked the bedroom door. I didn't sleep. The next morning, I called the police. Not because I thought someone was trapped beneath the floor. Because I wanted someone to tell me I was being ridiculous. The officer who arrived was a young man named Daniel. He introduced himself and looked beneath the floorboards. “Old house,” he said. “Could be the heating system.” “There isn't a heating system.” “Pipes?” “No.” “Animals?” “Maybe.” He smiled. “Then we'll find out.” He lifted the repaired board. Beneath it was a narrow crawl space. Dust. Cobwebs. Old beams. Nothing else. Daniel crawled inside with a flashlight. A minute later, he returned. “No one down there.” “I heard knocking.” “I'm sure you did.” He wasn't mocking me. That almost made it worse. “Could something cause the sound?” “Probably.” “What?” He shrugged. “Wood expands. Pipes move. Animals scratch.” “There aren't pipes.” “Then wood.” He replaced the board. Before leaving, he paused. “Your mother lived here alone for a long time?” “Yes.” “Did she ever complain about noises?” I hesitated. “She wrote about them.” His expression changed. “What did she write?” I showed him the notebook. He read the entries. Then he looked at me. “You should probably leave this house for a few days.” “Why?” “Because your mother sounds like she was frightened of something.” “That doesn't explain anything.” “No.” He handed the notebook back. “It doesn't.” That night, I stayed in a hotel. The following morning, I returned to the house. I told myself I was done being afraid. I spent the day cleaning. By evening, I had decided to sell the place. Then I found the photograph. It was hidden behind a loose brick in the fireplace. A family photograph. My mother. My father. Me. And another person. A little boy. He stood beside me. He looked about ten. I had never seen him before. On the back, my mother's handwriting read: Sarah and Thomas, 1994. I sat down. Thomas. The name meant nothing. I searched the house. I found no other photographs. Then I remembered something. There had been another bedroom upstairs. A small room at the end of the hallway. When I was a child, I wasn't allowed inside. My mother always said it was full of boxes. I had never questioned her. Now I opened the door. The room was empty. Except for a wooden toy train. I picked it up. On the bottom was a name. Thomas. My hands began shaking. I returned to the kitchen. I opened my mother's notebook again. I searched for the name. Thomas appeared only once. One entry. Thomas is getting worse. The next line had been scratched out. I held the page against the light. Underneath the ink, I could make out faint words. He knows Sarah is not really Sarah. I stopped. I couldn't breathe. I turned the page. Nothing. Then I found another notebook. And another. My mother had kept years of diaries. I read through them. The truth emerged slowly. When I was six, I had been sick. Very sick. I had spent weeks in bed. My mother wrote that I had begun talking to someone. Thomas. At first she thought I had an imaginary friend. Then I began describing him. A boy who lived beneath the house. A boy who knocked on the floor. A boy who wanted to come upstairs. My mother had written: Sarah says Thomas is her brother. Then: Sarah says I am not her mother. Then: Daniel says she is confused. Then: Thomas knocked again. I stopped reading. I remembered something. A flash. A memory I hadn't thought about in decades. A boy sitting beneath the kitchen table. He had dark hair. A blue shirt. A bruise beneath one eye. He had whispered: “Don't let them take me.” I had forgotten him. Or perhaps I had been made to forget. I returned to the kitchen. I pulled up the floorboard. The crawl space smelled of damp earth. I crawled inside. My flashlight moved across the beams. Then I saw something. A small metal door. It was set into the foundation wall. There was a lock. I searched the kitchen. Found an old key in my mother's desk. It fit. The door opened. Behind it was a narrow passage. I crawled through. The passage ended in a small room. There was a chair. A mattress. A metal bucket. And scratches on the wall. Hundreds of them. I counted them. Some were years old. Some were newer. Then I saw the writing. A child's handwriting. Sarah. Sarah. Sarah. Over and over. And beneath it: You forgot me. I sat on the floor. I couldn't stop shaking. Someone had been kept here. Someone had lived beneath the kitchen. Someone named Thomas. I called the police. This time, Daniel came with two other officers. They examined the room. One of them found old bones beneath the mattress. Human. The investigation lasted months. They searched records. They found no missing child named Thomas connected to my family. Then they found something else. A birth certificate. My birth certificate. My name was Sarah Thomas Miller. I had always believed Sarah was my first name and Miller was my surname. But the certificate showed something different. My mother's name was listed as Margaret. My father's name was Daniel. There was no Thomas. The officers searched further. They found another document. A death certificate. Thomas Miller. Male. Age ten. Date of death: October 17. Twenty years before my birth. I stared at the paper. “That can't be.” Daniel shook his head. “It gets stranger.” He showed me the original family photograph. The little boy beside me. The photograph had been altered. The boy had been pasted into it. But why? The answer came from my mother's final diary. I found it hidden beneath the floorboards. The last entry was dated six months before her death. Sarah has started remembering. I knew this day would come. She thinks Thomas was her brother. He wasn't. Thomas was Sarah. I read the sentence again. Thomas was Sarah. My hands went cold. The diary continued. When Sarah was ten, she was injured in an accident. Her brother Thomas died. Sarah survived. But after the accident, she began insisting she was Thomas. Daniel couldn't accept it. I couldn't either. We told her she was Sarah. We told her Thomas was dead. But she refused to forget. I stopped. The room seemed to disappear. I read on. She began hearing the knocking. At first, I thought it was grief. Then she began knocking back. My breathing became shallow. We discovered the sound was coming from the old crawl space. Daniel found the room. We should have destroyed it. Instead, we used it. I dropped the diary. “No.” I read the next page. We locked Sarah inside. We told her she was Thomas. We told her that if she wanted to leave, she had to remember who she really was. I felt sick. The next sentence was worse. She stayed there for three days. When we released her, she remembered nothing. I looked at the walls. The scratches. The mattress. The bucket. Someone had been trapped there. But it wasn't Thomas. It was me. I was Sarah. And Thomas had never been a person living beneath the floor. He had been the identity of my dead brother. My parents had tried to erase him from my mind. They had locked me away until I stopped remembering. And somehow, it had worked. Until now. I sat on the floor beneath the kitchen. I cried for the little girl I had been. I cried for the boy I had believed was my brother. And then I heard it. Knock. Knock. Knock. I froze. The sound came from the wall. I pressed my hand against it. “Thomas?” Three knocks. I swallowed. “Are you there?” Three knocks. I began to understand. It wasn't a ghost. It wasn't an animal. It wasn't the house. It was something I had been doing for years. Something buried so deeply in my memory that I had forgotten it. I knocked back. Three times. The wall answered. Three times. I cried out. Then I heard a voice. A child's voice. “Sarah?” I closed my eyes. “I'm here.” “Did you hear that?” The words came from the other side of the wall. My own voice. My childhood voice. I screamed. The officers found me unconscious beneath the floor several minutes later. They carried me outside. The house was declared unsafe. I never went back. I sold it six months later. But the story didn't end there. Three years after I left, I received a package. There was no return address. Inside was a cassette tape. I owned an old player, so I listened. At first there was only static. Then a little girl's voice. My voice. “Thomas?” A boy answered. “I'm here.” “Are you scared?” “Yes.” “Don't be.” “Why?” “Because when they forget us, we'll remember each other.” The tape ended. I played it again. And again. Then I noticed something. The recording had been made twenty years before I was born. I checked the date. October 17, 1976. My brother Thomas had died that day. I was born twenty years later. I had no explanation. No scientific answer. Nothing that made sense. Then I turned the cassette over. There was a message written on it. You were never the one who forgot. I stared at those words. And suddenly I remembered. Not the accident. Not the hospital. Not my parents. Something else. A woman standing beside a road. A little boy holding my hand. A car approaching. My mother screaming. And then— Nothing. I realized the truth. Thomas had not died in the accident. I had. The person who survived had been Thomas. My parents couldn't accept losing their daughter. So they gave my identity to my brother. They called him Sarah. They raised him as me. And years later, when he began remembering who he really was, they locked him beneath the kitchen floor. The child in the photograph wasn't my brother. It was me. The little boy they had tried to erase. Thomas had been living inside my memories all along. I had spent my entire life believing I was Sarah. But Sarah was the child who had died. Thomas was the child who survived. And now, at thirty-eight years old, I finally understood why the knocking had always sounded familiar. It wasn't someone trapped beneath the floor. It was someone trapped inside me. That night, I sat alone in my apartment. The clock reached 2:17. I heard three knocks. Not from the floor. From the bedroom door. Knock. Knock. Knock. I stood. My hands were trembling. I walked toward the door. Then I heard a child's voice. “Thomas?” I opened the door. No one was there. Only a small wooden toy train sat on the floor. The same one I had found in the old house. I picked it up. There was a name carved into the bottom. Not Thomas. Not Sarah. A different name. One I had never seen before. Daniel. My father's name. I turned the train over. A final message had been carved beneath it. You were not the only one who survived. I stared at the words. Then, from somewhere deep inside the apartment— Knock. Knock. Knock. And this time, I knew exactly what to say. “Come in.”

No comments:

Post a Comment