Wednesday, 19 August 2026
Oh Gosh !
At 3:13 every morning, someone knocked on the bedroom door.
The first night, I blamed the wind.
The second night, I blamed the pipes.
By the third night, I knew it was neither.
Because there were three knocks.
Always three.
Slow.
Careful.
Patient.
Knock.
Knock.
Knock.
And the worst part was that the door had no handle on the outside.
I had removed it myself.
Six years earlier, my younger sister, Eva, had disappeared from that room.
She was nine.
I was sixteen.
My parents said she had wandered outside during the night.
The police searched the woods.
The lake.
The fields.
They found nothing.
Not a shoe.
Not a piece of clothing.
Not even a footprint.
After three months, everyone stopped searching.
Except my mother.
She never stopped.
She would stand outside Eva's bedroom every night and whisper:
“I'm sorry.”
My father couldn't bear it.
He boarded the room up.
Then, after my mother died, he sold the house.
I hadn't returned until twenty years later.
The house belonged to me now.
My father had left it in his will.
I came back because I needed money.
I planned to sell it.
One week.
That was all.
One week to clean the house.
One week to remove the furniture.
One week to forget.
The first two nights were uneventful.
On the third night, I heard the knocking.
I woke at 3:13.
I don't know why.
Perhaps some part of me had been waiting for it.
I sat up.
The bedroom was dark.
Rain tapped against the window.
Then—
Knock.
Knock.
Knock.
I stared at the door.
“Hello?”
Silence.
I turned on the lamp.
Nothing.
I opened the door.
The hallway was empty.
I checked every room.
Nothing.
I returned to bed.
At 3:13 the following night, it happened again.
Knock.
Knock.
Knock.
This time, I didn't open the door.
I sat there listening.
Then a child's voice whispered:
“Daniel?”
I stopped breathing.
It was Eva's voice.
I knew it immediately.
“Daniel?”
I couldn't move.
“Daniel, I'm cold.”
I covered my ears.
The voice came again.
“Please let me out.”
I didn't sleep.
In the morning, I called the police.
An officer named Harris came to the house.
I told him about the knocking.
I did not tell him about Eva's voice.
He inspected the door.
“Old house,” he said.
“It wasn't the house.”
He smiled politely.
“You're probably tired.”
“I heard someone.”
“Did you see anyone?”
“No.”
“Then I'd recommend staying somewhere else.”
“I can't.”
“Why?”
I looked at the door.
“Because I need to know what happened to my sister.”
Harris stared at me.
“You think she's alive?”
“I don't know.”
He sighed.
“Your sister disappeared twenty years ago.”
“I know.”
“Sometimes grief does strange things.”
He left.
That night, I searched the attic.
I found boxes of my parents' belongings.
Old clothes.
Christmas decorations.
Photographs.
Then I found a cassette tape.
The label read:
EVA — 3:13 A.M.
I found an old tape player downstairs.
I pressed play.
Static.
Then my mother's voice.
“Eva, what did you see?”
A child's voice answered.
“Her.”
“Who?”
“The woman.”
“What woman?”
“She lives in the room.”
My mother inhaled sharply.
“What room?”
“The room behind the wall.”
Static.
Then my mother whispered:
“There's no room behind the wall.”
Eva began crying.
“She says there is.”
The tape ended.
I sat frozen.
There was a room behind the wall.
I knew it.
Because I remembered.
When I was twelve, I had found a narrow door behind a wardrobe.
My father had seen me.
He had shouted.
He had dragged the wardrobe back.
He told me never to touch it.
I had forgotten.
Or tried to.
I went upstairs.
Eva's old bedroom was at the end of the hall.
The door was still there.
The handle was gone.
I ran my hands along the wall.
Nothing.
Then I noticed the wallpaper.
A section was slightly darker.
I pulled it.
The wallpaper tore.
Behind it was a wooden panel.
I found a crowbar.
It took twenty minutes to pry the panel loose.
Behind it was darkness.
And a staircase.
I stood at the entrance.
The air smelled damp.
Cold.
Old.
I turned on my flashlight.
The stairs went down.
I counted.
One.
Two.
Three.
Twenty-three.
At the bottom was a corridor.
It was narrow enough that my shoulders nearly touched the walls.
At the end was a door.
I approached it.
There were scratches on the wood.
Deep scratches.
Made by fingernails.
Then I saw the writing.
EVA
I touched the letters.
They were carved into the door.
Below them was another message.
DANIEL, DON'T OPEN IT.
I stepped backward.
Then—
Knock.
Knock.
Knock.
The sound came from the other side.
I almost ran.
Instead, I whispered:
“Eva?”
Silence.
Then:
“Daniel?”
My knees nearly gave way.
“Is that you?”
“Yes.”
“Where are you?”
“Behind the door.”
I grabbed the handle.
“Wait.”
Her voice changed.
“Don't.”
I froze.
“Why?”
“She isn't me.”
I stepped away.
“Who is she?”
Silence.
Then another voice spoke.
My mother's voice.
“Daniel.”
I dropped the flashlight.
“Mom?”
“Open the door.”
I began crying.
My mother had been dead for fourteen years.
“Mom?”
“Please.”
The voice sounded exactly like her.
Warm.
Tired.
Familiar.
“I'm sorry,” she whispered.
The door shook.
Something hit it from the other side.
Once.
Twice.
Then three times.
I ran.
I didn't stop until I reached the bedroom.
I locked the door.
I sat on the floor until sunrise.
At 7:30, I called Harris.
He arrived with two officers.
I showed them the hidden staircase.
They went down.
They returned ten minutes later.
There was no door.
No corridor.
No writing.
Nothing.
The wall was solid.
Harris looked at me carefully.
“You need a doctor.”
“I know what I saw.”
“Do you?”
He placed a hand on my shoulder.
“You've been under stress.”
Then he left.
I stayed in the house.
I don't know why.
Perhaps because some part of me needed the truth more than it needed safety.
That evening, I searched my father's study.
I found his diary.
Most pages were missing.
But one entry remained.
Eva heard it again.
Daniel doesn't remember.
I wish he didn't.
Another:
The room isn't part of the house.
Another:
It appears when someone is ready.
I stopped reading.
A final entry.
Written on the day Eva disappeared.
She opened the door.
I couldn't stop her.
Daniel followed.
I closed it.
My hands shook.
I read the final sentence.
God forgive me.
I couldn't remember following Eva.
But suddenly—
I did.
A flash.
Eva standing at the hidden door.
Me behind her.
Her hand on the handle.
A woman whispering from inside.
Eva turning to me.
“Don't let her see you.”
Then the door opened.
I remembered darkness.
A hand.
My sister screaming.
Then—
Nothing.
I woke on the floor of my father's study.
It was 3:12.
I stared at the clock.
3:13.
Knock.
Knock.
Knock.
This time, the sound came from inside the bedroom.
I ran upstairs.
Eva's bedroom door was open.
It hadn't been open in twenty years.
I stood in the hallway.
A small figure stood inside.
A little girl.
Long dark hair.
White nightdress.
Bare feet.
She turned.
It was Eva.
“Daniel?”
I couldn't speak.
She smiled.
“You came back.”
I stepped into the room.
“Eva?”
She nodded.
“I've been waiting.”
I began crying.
“Where have you been?”
She pointed toward the wall.
“Inside.”
“Inside what?”
“The room.”
I approached.
She grabbed my hand.
Her fingers were freezing.
“Don't open it.”
“I need to get you out.”
“You can't.”
“Why?”
“Because you're already inside.”
The room disappeared.
The walls stretched.
The ceiling became impossibly high.
The floor turned black.
I heard screaming.
Hundreds of voices.
Children.
Adults.
My mother's voice.
My father's voice.
And mine.
All screaming at once.
Then Eva whispered:
“She's coming.”
A woman stepped from the darkness.
She was tall.
Too tall.
Her face was hidden beneath long black hair.
She stopped beside Eva.
Then she looked at me.
I knew her.
She was my mother.
But not my mother.
Her mouth opened too wide.
“Daniel.”
I ran.
I ran through darkness.
I ran down corridors.
Doors appeared on either side.
Each one had a name.
Eva.
Mother.
Father.
Daniel.
I opened mine.
Inside was my childhood bedroom.
I saw myself at twelve.
Sitting on the bed.
Crying.
Eva was beside me.
“Daniel,” she whispered.
“What's wrong?”
“I don't want to go.”
“Where?”
She pointed toward the wardrobe.
Something was standing behind it.
A woman.
I watched my younger self walk toward her.
Then everything went black.
I opened another door.
My mother was there.
She was screaming.
My father was holding her.
“It's taking them.”
“Who?”
“The house.”
Another door.
Eva.
Older.
Sixteen.
Then twenty.
Then thirty.
Then—
Dead.
Another door.
Me.
Old.
Very old.
Sitting alone.
Waiting.
I realized what the room was.
It wasn't a room.
It was a place where memories went to die.
Every person who entered left something behind.
A memory.
A fear.
A name.
A piece of themselves.
The woman fed on them.
And my family had been feeding her for generations.
Then Eva appeared beside me.
“Daniel.”
“What?”
“You have to remember.”
“Remember what?”
“You opened the door.”
I shook my head.
“No.”
“You did.”
“You opened it.”
“No.”
She touched my face.
“You were the first.”
Everything came back.
Not twenty years ago.
Not when I was twelve.
Earlier.
Much earlier.
I had been three years old.
I had seen the woman in the room.
She had asked me for my sister.
I had been jealous.
I wanted my parents' attention.
I wanted Eva gone.
So I opened the door.
I gave her my sister.
My parents discovered what happened.
They tried to save Eva.
But it was too late.
And because they were afraid I would remember what I had done, they erased my memories.
They told me Eva had disappeared.
They told me I had followed her.
They had spent years trying to protect me from the truth.
The house hadn't been haunting me.
It had been waiting for me to remember.
I looked at Eva.
“I'm sorry.”
She smiled.
“I know.”
The woman appeared behind her.
“It's time.”
I stepped between them.
“No.”
The woman tilted her head.
“You gave her to me.”
“I was a child.”
“You promised.”
“I don't remember.”
“You do now.”
She reached for me.
I grabbed Eva's hand.
We ran.
The corridor collapsed behind us.
Doors slammed.
Voices screamed.
The woman followed.
Faster.
Closer.
I saw the final door.
The one marked:
3:13
Eva pushed it open.
We fell through.
I woke on the kitchen floor.
Morning sunlight filled the room.
The hidden staircase was gone.
The wall was solid.
Eva was gone.
I was alone.
For three days, I convinced myself it had been a nightmare.
Then the police found something beneath the house.
Bones.
Small bones.
A child's.
They belonged to Eva.
The official report said she had died twenty years ago.
But the police couldn't explain the strange thing found beside the bones.
A cassette tape.
On it was my voice.
A child's voice.
Saying:
“Eva, don't be scared.”
Then my sister answering:
“I'm not.”
Then my voice:
“She'll take care of us.”
The tape ended.
I sold the house.
I moved to the city.
I never spoke about what happened.
Years passed.
I married.
Had a daughter.
Her name was Eva.
I never told my wife why.
When my daughter turned nine, she began talking about a woman.
“She lives in the wardrobe,” she said.
I stopped breathing.
“What woman?”
“She says she knows you.”
I moved her bed.
I removed the wardrobe.
I searched the walls.
Nothing.
That night, I slept beside her.
At 3:13, I woke.
Knock.
Knock.
Knock.
I sat up.
My daughter was awake.
She looked at me.
“Daddy?”
“Yes?”
She pointed toward the bedroom door.
“Did you hear that?”
I nodded.
Then she smiled.
A smile that wasn't hers.
“She's been waiting for you.”
The bedroom door slowly opened.
Behind it stood a little girl.
Eva.
My first sister.
She looked exactly as she had the night she disappeared.
She pointed at my daughter.
Then at me.
And whispered:
“It's your turn.”
I wanted to scream.
Instead, I remembered the first thing the woman had taught me.
The room does not take people.
People open the door.
I looked at my daughter.
Then at the little girl.
And I understood the final twist.
Eva hadn't come back to save me.
She had come back because she had become the woman.
She had spent twenty years inside that room.
And now she needed someone to replace her.
Someone she could love.
Someone she could trust.
Someone who would open the door.
My daughter reached for the handle.
I grabbed her hand.
“No.”
Eva smiled.
The lights went out.
And from inside the wardrobe came three slow knocks.
Knock.
Knock.
Knock.
Then my daughter whispered:
“Daddy, I already opened it.”
Behind us, the wardrobe door began to move.
And something inside laughed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment