Thursday, 6 August 2026
The Other Name Part 2: Shadows of the Past
The Other Name
Part 2: Shadows of the Past
The pounding on the warehouse door echoed through the darkness.
Knock.
Knock.
Knock.
No one moved.
The children huddled closer to their parents. Volunteers instinctively guided the residents away from the entrance. The only light came from the emergency exit signs glowing faintly in the darkness.
Ethan reached for the flashlight hanging beside the office door.
"Everyone stay calm," he said, keeping his voice steady. "No one opens that door."
Emma stood beside him, her breathing uneven.
"They're here."
"Who?"
"They never stop."
Outside, another knock.
This time louder.
Marcus, one of the volunteers, whispered, "Should I call the police?"
Ethan hesitated.
Normally, the answer would have been yes.
But Second Start wasn't licensed as a shelter. Many of the people sleeping there were hiding from abusive partners, violent gangs, or dangerous relatives. A police investigation could expose every one of them.
Emma shook her head.
"If you call the police now..."
"...they'll disappear before anyone arrives."
"You know them?"
"I know what they do."
Ethan's stomach tightened.
He slowly approached the security monitor connected to the backup battery.
Static flickered.
Then an image appeared.
One man stood outside.
Gray suit.
Black umbrella.
Hands folded politely in front of him.
He looked more like a businessman than a criminal.
The man smiled directly into the camera.
Then he spoke.
"We know Emma is inside."
No one breathed.
The stranger shouldn't have known about the camera.
He leaned closer.
"Ethan Brooks..."
"...you're a difficult man to find."
Ethan's blood ran cold.
He had never met this man.
Yet the stranger knew his name.
He knew Emma's.
And he knew exactly where to find them.
The man raised one hand.
"I'd prefer not to frighten the families inside."
Emma whispered,
"He's lying."
"If I leave..."
"They'll go."
The stranger seemed almost to hear her.
"We're not interested in anyone else."
"We only want Miss Brooks."
Silence.
Then he smiled again.
"You have five minutes."
He stepped away from the entrance.
A black SUV waited silently across the street.
The room erupted in whispers.
Aaron clenched his fists.
"We can't let them take her."
Lily stood beside him.
"They're bad people."
Maya looked at Ethan.
"What do we do?"
Ethan looked at Emma.
"You start talking."
They hurried into the office.
Emma closed the door.
Her hands shook as she removed a worn leather wallet from her coat.
Inside was an old newspaper photograph.
It showed a much younger version of their father standing beside three men in expensive suits.
The headline read:
CITY COUNCILMAN HONORED FOR COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT PROJECT
"He wasn't a councilman," Emma said quietly.
"He was laundering money."
Ethan stared.
"What?"
"Our father worked for a criminal organization."
"No."
"He hid it from us."
"He hid it from everyone."
Emma's voice cracked.
"The house fire..."
"...wasn't an accident."
She closed her eyes.
"I found accounting records."
"They proved millions of dollars had been stolen from charities."
"Children's hospitals."
"Homeless shelters."
"Disaster relief funds."
Ethan felt sick.
"I confronted Dad."
"What happened?"
"He smiled."
Then she whispered,
"And told me I knew too much."
The fire had been set deliberately.
Emma escaped through an upstairs window.
Before the police arrived, an honest detective helped her disappear.
The detective believed the criminal organization had people everywhere.
If anyone knew Emma survived...
...she would never stop running.
"So everyone believed you died."
Emma nodded.
"Even Mom."
Ethan frowned.
"Mom knew."
"No."
"She believed the funeral."
"What?"
"I wasn't allowed to contact anyone."
"Not even you."
Twenty-two years.
Gone.
To protect him.
Outside...
A car door slammed.
Time was running out.
Ethan stood.
"I'm calling the police."
Emma grabbed his wrist.
"You don't understand."
"I understand enough."
"No."
"You don't."
She looked directly into his eyes.
"Our father is still alive."
Silence.
Ethan laughed once.
Disbelieving.
"He's dead."
"I attended his funeral."
Emma slowly shook her head.
"No."
"You attended another fake funeral."
The room fell silent.
"Our father faked his death fifteen years ago."
"He changed his identity."
"He rebuilt the organization."
"And now..."
"...he wants the evidence I stole."
"What evidence?"
Emma tapped her temple.
"I memorized everything."
Another knock echoed through the warehouse.
This one wasn't patient.
It was a warning.
Maya quietly moved toward the emergency exit.
"I'll get everyone out the back."
Ethan nodded.
"Go."
Within minutes the volunteers began evacuating families through hidden exits leading into nearby alleys.
Years earlier, Ethan had insisted on multiple escape routes.
People had teased him for overthinking.
Tonight...
...those exits saved lives.
Only six people remained inside.
Ethan.
Emma.
Maya.
Aaron.
Lily.
And Officer Daniel Ruiz.
Ethan spun around.
"Daniel?"
The police officer stepped out from the shadows near the storage room.
He looked ashamed.
"I didn't mean for this to happen."
Every face turned toward him.
Maya whispered,
"You were already here?"
Ruiz couldn't meet anyone's eyes.
"I followed Ethan."
Silence.
"You what?"
"I knew something wasn't right."
"I saw people coming here every night."
"I wanted to know what Second Start really was."
Ethan stared at his closest friend.
"You followed me?"
Ruiz nodded.
"I'm sorry."
"I never intended to expose anyone."
Emma looked horrified.
"They tracked your phone."
Ruiz's face lost all color.
"What?"
"You led them here."
Outside...
Headlights multiplied.
One SUV became three.
Black vehicles surrounded the warehouse.
Ruiz whispered,
"Oh God..."
"I didn't know."
Emma answered quietly.
"They counted on that."
The front doors burst open.
Wood splintered.
Men in dark clothing entered carrying flashlights.
No guns.
No shouting.
Only chilling confidence.
The man in the gray suit stepped inside.
He looked around the empty shelter.
"You evacuated them."
Ethan stepped forward.
"They're gone."
The man smiled.
"I know."
He looked at Emma.
"Very thoughtful."
"You always did care about strangers."
"What do you want?"
The man folded his hands.
"You."
Emma shook her head.
"No."
"You still have the records."
"I destroyed them."
"No."
"You memorized them."
He smiled politely.
"So did we."
Ethan frowned.
"If you already know everything..."
"...why chase her?"
The stranger's smile faded.
"Because memories can become testimony."
Ruiz stepped forward.
"I'm a police officer."
The man looked at him with amusement.
"I know."
He reached into his pocket...
...and removed Ruiz's police identification card.
Ruiz froze.
"I lost that yesterday."
"No."
"You didn't."
The stranger handed it back.
"We borrowed it."
He leaned closer.
"We know where you live."
Ruiz staggered backward.
The stranger turned toward Ethan.
"You're a good man."
"You built something beautiful."
He looked around the warehouse.
"Second Start."
"A clever name."
"It would be tragic if it burned down."
Ethan clenched his fists.
"You threaten families?"
The man shrugged.
"We motivate witnesses."
Without warning...
Aaron stepped forward.
"No."
Everyone looked at him.
The teenager stared directly at the stranger.
"I know you."
The man's expression changed for the first time.
Recognition.
"You've grown."
Ethan looked at Aaron.
"What is he talking about?"
Aaron swallowed hard.
"I lied."
The room went silent.
"My name isn't Aaron."
"What?"
"My real name..."
"...is Adam Cross."
Emma gasped.
The stranger smiled.
"There he is."
Ethan stared.
"You know him?"
Adam closed his eyes.
"He's..."
His voice barely emerged.
"...my uncle."
No one spoke.
Adam continued.
"My foster home wasn't selling drugs."
"I never lived in foster care."
"I ran away from my family."
"The same family."
He pointed toward the stranger.
"...that has been hunting Emma."
Ethan felt the world tilt beneath him.
"You lied to me."
Adam nodded through tears.
"I'm sorry."
"I had nowhere else to go."
"I heard about Second Start."
"I thought..."
"...if anyone could hide me..."
"...it would be you."
The stranger sighed.
"Family reunions are always emotional."
He looked at Adam.
"Come home."
"No."
"You belong with us."
"I don't."
"You have our blood."
Adam's answer came without hesitation.
"No."
"I have Ethan."
Silence filled the warehouse.
Ethan looked at the frightened teenager who had arrived hungry only days earlier.
Blood had brought Adam into this nightmare.
Kindness had given him a reason to resist it.
The stranger's phone rang.
He answered.
Listened.
Then smiled.
"It seems we've found the detective."
Emma stiffened.
"What detective?"
"The one who helped you disappear."
His smile widened.
"He talked."
Emma whispered,
"No..."
The stranger looked almost pleased.
"Everyone talks eventually."
Then he looked at Ethan.
"I'll make you a simple offer."
"Give us Emma."
"Give us Adam."
"And Second Start continues to exist."
He paused.
"Refuse..."
"...and every person who has ever sought shelter here will be identified."
The room fell silent.
Every file.
Every address.
Every frightened family.
Years of trust...
...hung on Ethan's answer.
Before he could speak...
Emma quietly stepped forward.
"I'll go."
"No!" Ethan shouted.
She smiled sadly.
"I've been running for twenty-two years."
"I'm tired."
Adam shook his head.
"They'll kill you."
"I know."
She looked at Ethan one last time.
"Some secrets are worth dying for."
As she walked toward the stranger, Ethan suddenly noticed something tucked inside her coat pocket.
A small silver flash drive.
She caught him looking.
Without anyone else noticing, she gently dropped it beside the bookshelf.
The stranger never saw it.
But Ethan did.
Emma met his eyes.
The message was unmistakable.
The truth had never been in her memory.
She had been carrying the evidence all along.
The stranger smiled as his men escorted her toward the door.
He believed he had finally won.
He had no idea that the one thing he had spent twenty-two years hunting...
...was still inside the warehouse.
And Ethan had just become its guardian.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment