Thursday, 20 August 2026

PART ONE — THE GIRL IN THE REARVIEW

PART ONE — THE GIRL IN THE REARVIEW At 3:17 in the morning, Elena Vale realized that the man chasing her was driving the same car as the man she had buried six years ago. She saw it in the rearview mirror. A black sedan. Two white headlights. One cracked taillight on the left. She knew that crack. She had watched it happen. Six years earlier. On a bridge in the rain. She had watched the car crash through a barrier and disappear into the river. She had watched the police search for three days. She had watched them pull the body from the wreckage. She had identified the wedding ring. She had buried Daniel. And yet the black sedan was behind her now. Following her down Highway 17. Elena pressed harder on the accelerator. The speedometer climbed past ninety. Her hands were shaking. Not from fear. Not entirely. From recognition. The road stretched ahead through the darkness, a narrow ribbon of asphalt between mountains. No houses. No lights. No help. Only rain. She looked into the mirror again. The sedan was closer. She whispered: “No.” The car behind her flashed its headlights. Once. Twice. Then three times. Elena's breath stopped. Three flashes. Daniel's signal. They had invented it when they were nineteen. Three flashes meant: I know you're there. She hadn't seen it in seventeen years. She slammed her foot down. The engine screamed. The black sedan followed. Elena had been running for eleven hours. She had left the city at 4:20 that afternoon. She had not packed properly. She had not said goodbye. She had taken one suitcase, two bottles of water, her mother's photograph, and the envelope she had found inside Daniel's old coat. She had not even changed clothes. She was still wearing the black dress from the funeral. Not Daniel's funeral. Her mother's. That was where everything had begun. Her mother had died three days earlier. Heart failure. At least, that was what the doctors had said. Elena hadn't believed them. Her mother had been healthy. Frighteningly healthy. She had gone for walks every morning. She had complained about her knees. She had cooked too much food. She had called Elena every Sunday. And then, suddenly, she was dead. Elena had gone through her mother's belongings. She had found the envelope. Inside was a photograph. Elena at twelve years old. Daniel beside her. And a little boy standing between them. Elena didn't recognize him. On the back of the photograph, her mother had written: You must find him before they do. Beneath that: Do not trust the police. And beneath that: The road knows where he is. Elena had stared at those words for an hour. Then someone had knocked on the door. Three slow knocks. She had looked through the window. A black sedan. Cracked left taillight. She had run. The sedan was still behind her. Elena's phone rang. She nearly dropped it. Unknown number. She ignored it. It rang again. She ignored it. Again. Finally, she answered. “Hello?” Static. Then a man's voice. “Elena.” She froze. “Who is this?” “You know.” “No.” “You've been driving for eleven hours.” Her eyes moved to the mirror. The sedan remained behind her. “Where are you?” “Behind you.” Her blood turned cold. “You're Daniel.” Silence. Then: “Yes.” She almost drove off the road. “No.” “You buried the wrong man.” The line went dead. Elena pulled into a gas station. She killed the engine. The black sedan drove past. She held her breath. It disappeared around the corner. She waited. One minute. Two. Five. Nothing. She stepped out. Rain soaked her immediately. The gas station was abandoned. Half the lights were broken. A vending machine hummed beneath the awning. Elena went inside. She looked at herself in the glass. Thirty-four years old. Pale. Exhausted. Eyes swollen from crying. She looked nothing like the girl in the photograph. But the photograph was real. She took it from her pocket. She studied the boy. He was perhaps seven. Dark hair. A scar above his eyebrow. One hand held Elena's. The other held Daniel's. She had no memory of him. No memory at all. Then she noticed something. The boy's face resembled hers. Not Daniel. Hers. She turned the photograph over. A second message had appeared. Not written in her mother's handwriting. In Daniel's. Mile 317. Elena looked toward the highway. The road sign said: MILE 317 — 2 MILES She felt dizzy. Someone had planned this. Someone knew she would come. She ran back to her car. The black sedan was waiting. Parked across the road. Its headlights were off. Elena stopped. A door opened. A man stepped out. He was tall. Gray coat. Wet hair. He looked older than Daniel. But the eyes were unmistakable. “Elena.” She couldn't move. “Daniel?” He smiled. Not happily. Sadly. “Hello, Ellie.” That nickname broke her. Only Daniel had called her Ellie. She took one step toward him. Then stopped. “You're dead.” “I was.” “What does that mean?” “I died six years ago.” “Then who are you?” Daniel looked toward the road. “Someone who came back.” “Why?” “Because they found him.” “Who?” “The boy.” Elena gripped the photograph. “Who is he?” Daniel looked at her. Then whispered: “Your son.” The world seemed to tilt. “My what?” “Your son.” “I don't have a son.” “You did.” “When?” Daniel's eyes filled with tears. “Sixteen years ago.” Elena shook her head. “No.” “You were seventeen.” “I would remember.” “You were supposed to.” “Daniel—” “You were pregnant.” She stared at him. “No.” “You gave birth.” “No.” “You were told he died.” She stopped breathing. “What?” Daniel stepped closer. “You were seventeen. Your mother told you the baby was stillborn.” Elena's mind exploded with fragments. A hospital room. White curtains. Blood. Her mother's face. A nurse crying. A tiny cry. Then darkness. She had always remembered it as a nightmare. Daniel whispered: “It wasn't a stillbirth.” Elena covered her mouth. “Where is he?” Daniel looked at the highway. “That's why you're on the road.” She shook her head. “I don't understand.” “You will.” A gunshot cracked through the night. The gas station window shattered. Daniel grabbed Elena. “Down!” They fell behind the car. Another shot. Then another. Daniel pulled a pistol from beneath his coat. Elena stared. “Where did you get that?” “I told you.” “What?” “I came back.” He fired toward the darkness. A car engine roared. The black sedan behind them exploded into motion. Daniel grabbed Elena's hand. “Get in.” They jumped into an old pickup truck. Daniel drove. Elena stared at him. “You're really alive.” “Not exactly.” “What does that mean?” “I'll explain.” “When?” “When we're not being shot at.” They drove for an hour. Neither spoke. Eventually, Daniel turned onto a dirt road. They stopped beside a ruined barn. He killed the engine. Silence. Elena stared at him. “Tell me everything.” Daniel leaned against the steering wheel. “I can't.” “Why?” “Because you won't believe me.” “I already believe that my dead husband is driving me across the country.” Daniel gave a tired smile. “Fair.” He looked at her. “Six years ago, I discovered something.” “What?” “A network.” “What kind?” “People.” “Criminals?” “Worse.” “Government?” “Yes.” Elena's stomach tightened. Daniel continued. “They run an operation called The Road.” “What is that?” “A network for moving people who don't officially exist.” “Children?” “Mostly.” “Why?” “To experiment on them.” Elena remembered the photograph. The boy. Her son. Daniel continued. “Your mother discovered the operation.” “She knew?” “Yes.” “And me?” “You were part of it.” Elena stared. “What?” “When you were seventeen.” She shook her head. “I was never part of anything.” “You were a subject.” The words landed like stones. Daniel looked away. “You weren't supposed to remember.” “Remember what?” “Your son.” Daniel told her the truth. Sixteen years earlier, Elena had been involved in an experimental medical program. Her mother had signed the papers. Daniel had tried to stop it. The program claimed it could treat genetic diseases before birth. It couldn't. Instead, it was studying children whose parents possessed rare genetic traits. Elena's son had been born with something unusual. A neurological condition. His brain could recognize patterns at an extraordinary level. The researchers believed he could predict human behavior. They called him Subject Seven. Elena called him something else. Her son. His name was Noah. The doctors had told her he was dead. But they had taken him. Raised him. Studied him. And six years ago, Daniel found out. He tried to expose them. They killed him. Or tried to. The car accident had been staged. Daniel survived. Barely. He spent six years gathering evidence. Now the network had discovered him. And Noah had escaped. Elena stared into the darkness. “Where is he?” Daniel shook his head. “I don't know.” “But you said they found him.” “They found his trail.” “Then we find him first.” Daniel looked at her. “You're willing to do this?” “He's my son.” “You don't even remember him.” She stared at him. “I remember enough.” They drove through the night. At sunrise, they stopped beside a river. Daniel slept. Elena watched him. She had buried this man. Mourned him. Learned to live without him. Now he was sitting ten feet away. Alive. But different. Older. Broken. She touched his shoulder. He woke. “What's wrong?” “Why didn't you come back?” He looked away. “Because I couldn't.” “You could have called.” “They were watching you.” “You could have told me.” “They would have killed you.” “I thought you were dead.” “I know.” “I cried for you.” “I know.” “How?” Daniel's eyes filled with tears. “I watched you from across the street.” Elena froze. “What?” “For six months after the accident.” “You were there?” “Yes.” “Why didn't you come home?” “Because every time I tried, they threatened you.” She slapped him. He didn't defend himself. “I deserved that.” “You let me grieve you.” “Yes.” “You let me think I was alone.” “Yes.” “You let me believe I killed you.” His face broke. “You what?” “I was driving that night.” “I know.” “The road was wet.” “I know.” “I thought if I'd driven slower—” “It wasn't your fault.” “You don't know that.” “I was there.” He looked at her. “I was in the car.” She started crying. “So you knew?” “Yes.” “You knew I blamed myself?” “Yes.” “And you let me?” “I was trying to protect you.” She whispered: “I hate that sentence.” “So do I.” They reached a small town in Colorado. Daniel took her to an abandoned motel. Room 12. The door opened. A boy sat on the bed. He was sixteen. Dark hair. Scar above his eyebrow. Elena stopped. The boy looked up. His eyes were hers. “Mom?” She couldn't breathe. Daniel closed the door. Noah stood. Elena took one step. Then another. She touched his face. He flinched. She pulled back. “I'm sorry.” “For what?” “For not remembering you.” Noah's eyes filled with tears. “You were supposed to.” “I know.” “My grandmother told me you would.” “Your grandmother?” “She said you'd come.” Elena looked at Daniel. He nodded. Noah whispered: “She told me to trust the road.” Elena stared at him. “What does that mean?” Noah looked toward the window. “They're coming.” A car door slammed outside. Daniel reached for his gun. Noah smiled sadly. “It's too late.” Elena grabbed his hand. “What do we do?” Noah looked at her. “We run.” They escaped through the back. Three cars surrounded the motel. Men shouted. Bullets shattered windows. Daniel pushed Noah behind a wall. Elena ran beside them. They reached the truck. Daniel started the engine. Nothing. “Come on.” Nothing. Noah opened the hood. “Fuel line.” “What?” “Cut.” Daniel stared. “How do you know?” Noah smiled. “I told you.” “What?” “I can see patterns.” He repaired it in seconds. The engine roared. They escaped. Behind them, the motel exploded. Elena looked at Noah. Her son. Her child. The child she had believed dead. She reached for his hand. He let her. For the first time in sixteen years, mother and son held hands. And the road carried them forward. But neither of them noticed the black sedan waiting three miles ahead. Or the woman sitting behind its wheel. A woman with Elena's face. A woman who watched them disappear into the distance. And whispered: “Finally.” Then she picked up the radio. “They have Noah.” A voice answered: “And Elena?” The woman smiled. “She has no idea who she really is.” She looked at the photograph on the dashboard. It showed Elena. Daniel. Noah. And one more person. The woman herself. The photograph was dated tomorrow. And beneath it, someone had written:

No comments:

Post a Comment