Wednesday, 19 August 2026

Dark Impulses

By midnight, Daniel had learned that loneliness had a sound. It was the refrigerator humming in an empty kitchen. It was rain scratching at the windows. It was the clock on the wall counting seconds that nobody else cared about. Tick. Tick. Tick. He sat at the kitchen table with his hands wrapped around a cup of cold coffee. Across from him lay a photograph. A woman smiling. His sister, Emma. She had been dead for forty-three days. Daniel had not cried at the funeral. He had not cried when they lowered her coffin. He had not cried when their mother called him three days later and said, “I don't know how to live in this house without her.” He had simply nodded. Because something inside him had gone quiet. Not peaceful. Quiet. And underneath that silence was something else. Anger. It had begun as a small thought. Someone should pay. Then it had become a name. Victor Hale. The man responsible for Emma's death. Daniel knew exactly where Victor lived. He knew his routine. He knew what time he left for work. He knew which bus he took. He knew where the street cameras were. He had spent forty-three days learning things he had no business knowing. He had also spent forty-three days telling himself he would never act on them. Tonight, that promise was becoming difficult to keep. Daniel opened the kitchen drawer. Inside was a small black notebook. He had written one sentence on the first page: I will not become the thing I hate. He read it every morning. Tonight, he laughed. Then he heard a knock. Three times. Daniel looked toward the front door. Nobody visited him this late. He stood. Another knock. He opened the door. A man stood outside. Daniel recognized him immediately. Victor Hale. For several seconds, neither spoke. Then Victor said: “Can I come in?” Daniel's heart began pounding. Every muscle in his body tightened. He wanted to slam the door. He wanted to scream. He wanted to do something much worse. Instead, he stepped aside. Victor entered. He looked exhausted. Older than Daniel remembered. “Why are you here?” Victor sat down. “I know who you are.” Daniel closed the door. “I know who you are too.” Victor looked at the photograph on the table. “Emma.” Daniel's fists tightened. “Don't say her name.” Victor nodded. “I deserve that.” “You deserve more.” Silence. Victor looked at the floor. “I didn't mean to kill her.” Daniel laughed. “You were drunk.” “Yes.” “You drove too fast.” “Yes.” “You ran the red light.” “Yes.” “And she died.” Victor closed his eyes. “Yes.” Daniel stared at him. “Then why are you here?” Victor reached into his coat. Daniel stepped backward. Victor froze. “I'm not armed.” He pulled out an envelope. “Your sister left this.” Daniel stared. “Emma?” Victor nodded. “She gave it to me three days before the accident.” Daniel took the envelope. His sister's handwriting was on the front. For Daniel. His hands began to shake. He opened it. Inside was a single page. Danny, If something happens to me, don't let anger choose your life. Daniel stopped reading. His throat tightened. You always think being strong means fighting. It doesn't. Sometimes being strong means walking away. He looked up. Victor was crying. Daniel continued. Promise me you won't become cruel just because someone else was. The letter ended: I love you. Daniel put it down. Victor stood. “I thought you should have it.” Daniel stared at him. “You should leave.” Victor nodded. He walked toward the door. Daniel watched him. His darker thoughts whispered. Now. He's right there. Do it. One push. One second. Daniel's hand moved toward the kitchen drawer. Then he stopped. He looked at Emma's letter. Don't let anger choose your life. He closed the drawer. “Go.” Victor left. Daniel locked the door. He stood alone in the kitchen. For the first time in forty-three days, he cried. He cried until morning. But anger doesn't disappear simply because you refuse to obey it. It waits. Three weeks later, Daniel was walking home from work when he saw Victor again. Victor was standing outside a courthouse. Reporters surrounded him. Daniel stopped. A woman approached Victor. “Mr. Hale, are you pleading guilty?” Victor shook his head. “No comment.” Daniel stared. No comment. After everything. No apology. No explanation. No punishment. Daniel's anger returned instantly. He walked toward the courthouse. Then someone grabbed his arm. It was his mother. “Daniel.” “What are you doing here?” “I came to see you.” She looked toward Victor. “Please don't.” Daniel pulled his arm away. “He killed Emma.” “I know.” “He's walking free.” “For now.” “He deserves to suffer.” His mother looked at him. “Maybe.” Daniel stared at her. She took a breath. “But if you hurt him, you'll suffer too.” “He deserves it.” “That's not the question.” “What is?” She touched his face. “What kind of person do you want to be when this is over?” Daniel said nothing. His mother walked away. He remained outside the courthouse. Victor disappeared inside. Daniel followed. He sat in the back of the courtroom. The hearing began. The prosecutor presented evidence. Blood alcohol levels. Traffic-camera footage. Witness statements. Victor's lawyer argued that Victor had been emotionally unstable after his father's death. Daniel nearly laughed. Everyone had excuses. Everyone except Emma. Emma was dead. When the judge asked Victor if he wished to speak, Victor stood. He looked toward Daniel. “I killed Emma Carter.” The courtroom became silent. “I don't have an excuse.” Victor swallowed. “I was drunk. I was reckless. I made a choice, and someone died because of it.” He looked directly at Daniel. “I will spend the rest of my life wishing I could undo it.” Daniel looked away. The judge sentenced Victor to eight years. It wasn't enough. It could never be enough. But it was something. Daniel left the courthouse. Outside, rain was falling. He walked home. For the next few months, things became easier. Not good. Not normal. Just easier. He started therapy. He visited his mother. He began running in the mornings. He stopped checking Victor's prison records. He stopped imagining revenge. Eventually, he began living again. Then one afternoon, he received a letter. From prison. Victor. Daniel almost threw it away. Instead, he opened it. Daniel, You don't have to forgive me. I don't expect you to. But I want you to know something. The night of the accident, I wasn't alone. Daniel stopped. He read the next sentence. Someone else was in my car. His heart began racing. Victor continued. I didn't tell the police because I was afraid. I know that makes me a coward. But if you want to know what really happened to Emma, ask about the passenger. Daniel read the letter twice. Then a third time. Who had been in the car? The police report said Victor was alone. Daniel called the detective who had handled the case. “Was anyone else in the vehicle?” “No.” “Are you sure?” “Yes.” “Victor says there was.” The detective sighed. “Prisoners say many things.” “What if he's telling the truth?” “Then we investigate.” The detective promised to check. Three days later, he called. “Daniel?” “Yes.” “We found something.” Daniel sat down. “What?” “The original police photographs.” “And?” “There was a second set of footprints near the driver's door.” Daniel's heart stopped. “Whose?” “We don't know.” “Can you find out?” “Maybe.” The detective paused. “There was something else.” “What?” “Your sister's phone was missing.” Daniel remembered Emma's last night. She had called him. He hadn't answered. Then she had called again. He had ignored it because they had argued that afternoon. That had been his greatest regret. But now— “Why was her phone missing?” “We don't know.” Daniel spent the next week investigating. He discovered that Emma had been receiving threatening messages before her death. Someone had been following her. Someone had sent her photographs. Someone had threatened to expose a secret. Daniel found the messages on an old backup. There was one name that appeared repeatedly. His own. Daniel. He stared at the screen. Someone had been pretending to be him. Someone had been using his name to frighten Emma. He felt sick. Then he found a final message. If you tell Daniel, he dies too. Daniel called the detective. But before he could speak, his phone rang. Unknown number. He answered. “Hello?” A voice whispered: “You should have left it alone.” Daniel froze. “Who is this?” “You know.” “No.” “You've always known.” The call ended. Daniel stared at the screen. Then someone knocked on his apartment door. Three times. He reached for the door. Stopped. He remembered the night Victor had arrived. He checked the peephole. Nobody. He opened the door. An envelope lay on the floor. Inside was a photograph. Emma. Alive. Standing beside a man. Daniel recognized the man. Himself. But the photograph had been taken after the accident. Impossible. He turned it over. A message was written on the back. Ask your mother. Daniel's hands went cold. He called her. She didn't answer. He drove to her house. The door was unlocked. “Mom?” No response. He searched the rooms. Then he found her in the kitchen. She was sitting at the table. Alive. But crying. Daniel placed the photograph in front of her. “Tell me.” She stared at it. “I didn't want you to know.” “Know what?” “That Emma wasn't killed by Victor.” Daniel felt the world tilt. “What?” His mother covered her face. “Victor was driving, but Emma was already dead.” Daniel couldn't breathe. “What are you saying?” “She was killed earlier that night.” “By whom?” His mother looked up. “By you.” Daniel staggered backward. “No.” “You came home that night.” “I went to work.” “You came home.” “I remember.” “You and Emma argued.” “Yes.” “You were angry.” “Yes.” “You left.” “Yes.” “But you came back.” Daniel shook his head. “No.” His mother began sobbing. “You don't remember.” Daniel felt dizzy. Images flashed through his mind. The kitchen. Emma shouting. A glass breaking. His hands. Blood. Then darkness. He fell into a chair. “No.” His mother whispered: “You had been drinking.” “No.” “You pushed her.” “No.” “She fell.” “No!” “She hit her head.” Daniel covered his ears. “I didn't kill her.” “You did.” “I wouldn't.” His mother began crying harder. “You couldn't accept it.” Daniel stared at her. “What happened next?” “You called Victor.” “Why?” “You told him to drive the car.” Daniel's mind went blank. “You put Emma in the passenger seat.” “No.” “You made it look like an accident.” “No.” “You threatened Victor.” Daniel stood. “You're lying.” His mother looked at him with unbearable sadness. “I wish I were.” He backed toward the door. His darker thoughts returned. Run. Kill her. Make her stop. He looked at his mother. For one horrifying moment, he imagined wrapping his hands around her throat. Then he stopped. He stepped away. “No.” His mother stared. “What?” Daniel shook his head. “I won't.” He called the police. He told them everything. Or what he could remember. They arrested him that night. But there was still one thing he couldn't understand. If he had killed Emma, why had she written the letter? Why had she told him not to become cruel? The detective brought him the answer the next morning. “Daniel.” He looked up. “There was no passenger.” “I know.” “And your mother wasn't telling the truth.” Daniel frowned. “What?” The detective placed a file on the table. “Your sister's death was an accident.” Daniel stared. “Victor was driving.” “Yes.” “No one else was there.” “Yes.” “Then why did my mother say—” “Because she wanted you to believe you killed Emma.” “Why?” The detective hesitated. “We found her fingerprints on Emma's phone.” Daniel's heart stopped. “What?” “She had been sending the messages.” Daniel felt sick. “Why?” “We don't know.” Then the detective showed him another photograph. It was Emma. Taken the day before her death. Standing beside their mother. The two women were arguing. On the back was a note. She knows. Daniel whispered: “She knew.” The detective nodded. “Your sister had discovered that your mother had been stealing money from the family business.” Daniel stared at the photograph. “She threatened to expose her.” “Yes.” “So Mom…” “Wanted to silence her.” Daniel's mind raced. “But Victor?” “He was simply the easiest person to blame.” Daniel closed his eyes. His mother had spent weeks manipulating him. She had tried to make him believe he was a murderer. She had wanted him to attack Victor. To destroy himself. Why? Because if Daniel became violent, she could use him as a scapegoat. The detective continued. “Your mother planned everything.” Daniel looked up. “What about the letter?” “The letter from Emma?” “Yes.” “We found the original.” He handed it over. Daniel read it. The same words. Don't let anger choose your life. But underneath was another sentence that Victor's copy didn't contain. And if you ever think you killed me, remember that you didn't. Daniel began to cry. His sister had known. Somehow, she had known that he would blame himself. She had tried to save him even after her death. Daniel's mother was convicted of fraud and obstruction. Victor served his sentence for the accident. Daniel never forgave his mother. He never forgave himself for believing her. But he did learn something. Darkness didn't always arrive looking like violence. Sometimes it arrived as grief. Sometimes as guilt. Sometimes as the voice telling you that you deserved to suffer. The darkest impulse wasn't always the desire to hurt someone else. Sometimes it was the desire to destroy yourself. Years later, Daniel visited Victor in prison. They sat across from each other. Victor looked older. Daniel looked older too. “I hated you,” Daniel said. “I know.” “I wanted to kill you.” “I know.” “I almost did.” Victor nodded. “Why didn't you?” Daniel thought about Emma. “Because my sister asked me not to become cruel.” Victor looked down. “She was a good person.” “She was.” They sat silently. Then Victor said: “I have something for you.” He pushed an envelope across the table. Daniel opened it. Inside was a photograph. Emma. Smiling. On the back were four words. You chose correctly, Danny. Daniel stared at the message. He began to smile. Not because the pain was gone. Not because the past had been repaired. But because he finally understood. He had spent years believing the battle was between himself and the darkness inside him. It wasn't. The darkness had never been stronger than him. It had simply been louder. And every time he refused to obey it, it became quieter. Daniel folded the photograph and placed it inside his wallet. Then he stood. As he walked toward the prison exit, he passed a mirror. For a moment, he saw himself as he had been on the night Emma died. Angry. Broken. Lost. He stopped. Then he looked again. The man in the mirror was older. Scarred. But still standing. Daniel smiled. And for the first time in his life, he understood that resisting darkness did not mean pretending it wasn't there. It meant looking directly at it and saying: You don't get to choose what I become. Then he walked outside into the sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment