Wednesday, 19 August 2026

The Empty Chair

The Empty Chair “Eat something, Daniel.” “I’m not hungry.” “You said that an hour ago.” “I know.” “Then pretend.” Daniel looked across the dining table at his sister. Clara had always been good at pretending. She was pretending not to be afraid. She was pretending the rain outside was ordinary. She was pretending their father was not sitting in the empty chair between them. Daniel swallowed. “Why did you ask me here?” Clara pushed a plate toward him. “Because we need to discuss what happened to Dad.” “He died six months ago.” “I know.” “Then what is there to discuss?” She looked toward the empty chair. “The fact that he left instructions.” Daniel frowned. “What kind of instructions?” “Specific ones.” “About his will?” “No.” “His house?” “No.” “Then what?” Clara took a breath. “He told me that if he died before you came home, I had to make sure you ate dinner with me.” Daniel stared at her. “That’s ridiculous.” “He was very serious.” “Dad was dying. He was confused.” “He wasn't confused.” Daniel looked at the empty chair again. Their father had always sat there. Every Sunday. Every Christmas. Every birthday. Even when he was angry, he sat there. Now the chair was empty. Except— Daniel could have sworn the cushion had moved. Just slightly. He looked away. “What else did he say?” Clara hesitated. “He said you must finish your meal before midnight.” Daniel laughed. “You're joking.” “I wish I were.” Thunder rolled above the house. Clara reached for her fork. “Eat.” Daniel stared at the plate. Then he took a bite. Neither of them noticed the empty chair slowly pulling itself closer to the table. Six months earlier, Daniel had returned to the town for his father's funeral. He had not wanted to come. He and his father had not spoken for eleven years. The argument had begun over something small. A university application. Daniel wanted to leave. His father wanted him to stay. “You're running away,” his father had said. “Maybe I am.” “You think the world is going to welcome you?” “I don't care.” His father had stood. “You'll come crawling back.” Daniel had packed that night. He left without saying goodbye. Eleven years later, his father died alone in the same house. Clara had stayed. She had taken care of him through his illness. Daniel had sent money. Cards. Occasional messages. But he had never returned. Until the funeral. Afterward, Clara had asked him to stay. He refused. Now, six months later, she had called and said: “Come home. It's important.” He had expected another argument. Instead, she had prepared dinner. Their father's favorite meal. Roast chicken. Mashed potatoes. Green beans. Apple pie. The same meal their mother used to make before she died. Daniel looked at the plate. “Why this?” “Dad requested it.” “He requested dinner after he died?” Clara gave him a tired smile. “You know what I mean.” “No, I don't.” “He left a letter.” “Where?” “Upstairs.” Daniel leaned back. “Then show me.” “After dinner.” “Why?” “Because that's what he wanted.” Daniel stared at her. “You actually believe this?” Clara's expression changed. “I believe Dad knew something was wrong.” “With what?” “With us.” Silence. Daniel looked at his sister. “What does that mean?” Clara put down her fork. “Do you remember the night Mom died?” Daniel stiffened. “Of course.” “Do you remember what Dad told us?” “That she had an accident.” “She fell down the stairs.” “Yes.” “And you believed him?” Daniel stared. “What are you asking?” “I’m asking whether you remember seeing her before she died.” Daniel's mouth went dry. He remembered the ambulance. The flashing lights. His father's bloodshot eyes. Clara crying. But he didn't remember seeing his mother. Not clearly. He had been eight. Clara had been ten. Their mother had supposedly slipped on the stairs. But something had always bothered him. A bruise on her wrist. A strange mark on the kitchen floor. His father's silence. Daniel looked at Clara. “What happened?” She shook her head. “Not yet.” “Why not?” “Because Dad said you weren't ready.” Daniel laughed bitterly. “Dad's been dead six months.” “I know.” “And you're still obeying him?” “Yes.” “Why?” Clara looked toward the empty chair. “Because he was right.” Daniel followed her gaze. The chair was empty. But the plate in front of it was no longer empty. A serving of chicken sat there. Daniel stopped breathing. “Clara.” She didn't look up. “What?” “Did you put that there?” “No.” The lights flickered. Daniel stood. “Very funny.” Clara grabbed his wrist. “Don't.” “Let go.” “Daniel, sit down.” “Someone is in this house.” “No.” “Then explain that.” Clara looked at the plate. Her face went pale. “I can't.” Daniel pulled his hand free. “I’m leaving.” He reached the hallway. The front door slammed shut. He tried the handle. Locked. “Clara!” She didn't move. “Clara!” “I told you.” “What?” “You have to finish dinner.” Daniel turned. The house was silent. Then, from the dining room, came a slow scrape. The empty chair moved across the floor. Once. Twice. Until it was directly behind Daniel. He froze. A voice whispered beside his ear. “Sit down.” It was his father's voice. Daniel stumbled backward. Clara began crying. “Dad?” No answer. The chair remained still. Daniel looked at his sister. “What is happening?” “I don't know.” “You're lying.” “I swear.” “Then why did you bring me here?” “Because Dad told me to.” “You said he knew something was wrong.” “He did.” “What?” Clara pointed upstairs. “The letter.” Daniel stared at the staircase. Then he slowly walked toward it. The letter was waiting on his father's desk. It was sealed with black wax. Daniel broke it. Inside was a single page. Daniel, If you are reading this, then I am dead. You will want to leave. Don't. You will want to accuse Clara. Don't. You will want to remember your mother. You must. Daniel's hands trembled. He continued. There are things I never told you. Some because I was ashamed. Some because I was afraid. And one because I wanted you to have a childhood. Daniel stopped. His eyes moved to the next line. Your mother did not fall down the stairs. The room seemed to tilt. He read on. I pushed her. Daniel dropped the letter. “No.” He picked it up again. The words had not changed. She had discovered what I had done. She knew about the money. She knew I had been stealing from the company. She threatened to leave. I lost control. Daniel's stomach turned. He remembered his father's hands. His mother's voice. The night she died. The police. The funeral. Everything. But the letter continued. Clara saw me. Daniel closed his eyes. You did not. He looked up. You were asleep. Daniel stared at the page. Then came the sentence that made his blood run cold. But Clara has believed for thirty years that you saw everything. He read it again. She thinks you remember. Daniel's breathing became shallow. Why? Why would Clara think that? Then he remembered. The night their mother died, he had woken briefly. He had seen Clara standing at the top of the stairs. She was crying. Their father was below. Their mother was on the floor. Daniel had heard his father say: “Never tell Daniel.” Then darkness. He had forgotten. Or perhaps he had been made to forget. Daniel folded the letter. He walked downstairs. Clara was still at the table. She looked up. “You read it.” “Yes.” “And?” “Dad killed Mom.” Clara closed her eyes. “Yes.” “You knew.” “Yes.” “And you knew he was dying.” “Yes.” “Why didn't you tell me?” “Because he asked me not to.” Daniel stared at her. “He lied to us.” “I know.” “Why did you protect him?” Clara's eyes filled with tears. “Because he threatened to kill you.” Daniel sat. “What?” “He told me that if I ever told you, he'd make sure you died too.” “He was sick.” “He was dangerous.” “Then why stay?” Clara looked toward the kitchen. “Because I thought I could protect you.” Daniel looked at the empty chair. “What does this have to do with dinner?” Clara didn't answer. The clock on the wall showed 10:15. Daniel's stomach tightened. “Why midnight?” “I don't know.” “Did Dad explain?” “No.” “Then what exactly are we waiting for?” Clara looked at him. “For you to remember.” “Remember what?” “The rest.” They ate in silence. The food had gone cold. Daniel forced himself to swallow. Every bite seemed to unlock another memory. His mother singing. His father shouting. Clara hiding beneath the table. A broken glass. Blood. The stairs. Then something else. A door. A locked door beneath the staircase. Daniel looked up. “There was a room.” Clara stopped eating. “What?” “Under the stairs.” “No.” “Yes.” “There wasn't.” “There was.” Daniel stood. “I remember.” Clara grabbed his arm. “Daniel, don't.” “Where is it?” “Don't open it.” “Why?” “Because Dad said never to.” “He's dead.” “That doesn't matter.” Daniel pulled away. He walked into the hallway. The door beneath the stairs was hidden behind an old bookcase. He remembered it now. His father had kept the door locked. Daniel moved the bookcase. There it was. A small wooden door. The key was still in the lock. He turned it. The door opened. Cold air rushed out. Inside was a narrow room. There were boxes. Old photographs. Newspapers. And dozens of cassette tapes. Daniel picked one up. The label read: DANIEL — AGE 8 His hands began shaking. He found an old tape recorder. Pressed play. Static. Then his own childhood voice. “Dad?” A man's voice answered. “Tell me what you saw.” “I saw Mom fall.” “No.” Silence. Then his father's voice: “You saw Mom fall.” The child began crying. “But you pushed her.” A sharp slap. Daniel dropped the tape recorder. Clara stood in the doorway. “He made you forget.” Daniel turned. “How?” “Medication.” “What?” “He gave you pills.” Daniel stared at her. “For years.” “He said they were vitamins.” “I didn't know.” “Why didn't you stop him?” “I tried.” “You were a child.” “I was ten.” “You couldn't have stopped him.” Clara's face crumpled. “I should have.” Daniel walked toward her. Then he noticed something. Behind Clara stood a second door. He pointed. “What is that?” She turned. There was no door. Daniel blinked. The wall was solid. “Nothing.” “No.” He touched it. The wall felt cold. Then he heard something. A faint tapping. From inside. Tap. Tap. Tap. Clara stepped backward. “Daniel.” He looked at her. “What's behind this wall?” “Nothing.” Tap. Tap. Tap. “Clara.” She started crying. “Please.” “What's behind it?” “Dad.” Daniel froze. “What?” “He's behind it.” “That’s impossible.” “He told me to wait.” “Who?” “Dad.” “Dad is dead.” “I know.” “Then how—” The wall cracked. A thin black line appeared. Daniel stepped backward. The crack widened. A door appeared. And from the darkness behind it came their father's voice. “Daniel.” Clara screamed. The voice continued. “You finally remembered.” Daniel couldn't move. “Dad?” “Your sister lied to you.” Clara shook her head. “No.” The voice laughed. “She always was a liar.” Daniel looked at Clara. “What is he talking about?” “I don't know.” The voice said: “She killed your mother.” Daniel's face went blank. “What?” Clara whispered: “Don't listen.” “She pushed her.” “No.” “She pushed her down the stairs.” “No!” “She was angry.” Daniel looked at Clara. “Is it true?” Clara was crying. “No.” The voice continued. “She killed her.” Daniel remembered the night again. His mother standing at the top of the stairs. Clara behind her. His father below. But now the memory changed. He saw Clara pushing their mother. Their mother falling. His father arriving. Clara screaming. Daniel watching. Then his father grabbing him. The memory shifted again. Nothing made sense. “Which one of you is lying?” Daniel whispered. Neither answered. The clock downstairs struck eleven. The empty chair scraped across the floor. Then another voice spoke. A woman's voice. Their mother's. “Daniel.” He turned. “Mom?” Her voice came from the kitchen. “Don't trust either of them.” Clara collapsed onto the floor. “No.” Daniel ran downstairs. The dining room was empty. Except for the plates. And the chair. And the food. His mother's voice whispered: “Remember.” Daniel stood in the center of the room. His memories came back all at once. Not pieces. Everything. The night his mother died. His father had not killed her. Clara had not killed her. Daniel had. He had been eight years old. He had found his father stealing money. He had threatened to tell his mother. His father had struck him. Daniel had grabbed the knife. His mother had stepped between them. Daniel had pushed her. She fell. His father covered it up. But Clara had seen. She had taken the blame. She had protected Daniel. Then their father had spent years manipulating them both. But why? Daniel looked at Clara. “You knew.” She nodded. “I knew you did it.” “Why did you let Dad say it was him?” “Because you were a child.” “And later?” “You had forgotten.” “Why didn't you tell me?” “Because I promised Mom.” Daniel froze. “Mom was alive?” Clara nodded. “She survived the fall.” “What?” “She lived for three days.” Daniel's breath caught. “Three days?” “She made me promise.” “Promise what?” “Never tell you.” “Why?” “Because she didn't want you to spend your life believing you were a murderer.” Daniel began crying. “She forgave me.” “Yes.” “Before she died?” “Yes.” “Why didn't Dad tell me?” Clara looked toward the empty chair. “Because he couldn't.” Daniel stared. “What do you mean?” Clara pointed at the chair. “Because Dad wasn't the one who brought you here.” Daniel looked at the chair. The cushion sank. Something invisible sat down. A fork lifted from the table. Then the voice spoke. “Your mother was.” Daniel stopped breathing. The kitchen door opened. A woman stood there. His mother. Exactly as he remembered her. Young. Pale. Smiling. Clara whispered: “Mom.” Their mother looked at them. “I've waited thirty years for you to finish dinner.” Daniel couldn't speak. His mother smiled. “You were always a slow eater.” He began to cry. “Why?” “Because there was one thing you needed to understand.” “What?” She looked at the empty chair. “Your father didn't die six months ago.” Daniel frowned. “He died thirty years ago.” Silence. Clara looked at him. “What?” Their mother smiled sadly. “The man you called Dad for the last thirty years was not your father.” Daniel felt the room spin. “What?” “He was something else.” The empty chair moved. Slowly. Toward them. Their mother whispered: “He took your father's place.” Daniel stared at Clara. She looked as terrified as he felt. “Then who have we been living with?” Their mother answered. “Your guilt.” The chair stopped. The lights went out. When they came back on, the chair was empty. The front door stood open. The rain had stopped. And the clock showed midnight. Daniel looked at the table. There were now three plates. His. Clara's. And his mother's. He reached for her plate. It was still warm. Clara whispered: “Is she gone?” Daniel shook his head. “No.” “How do you know?” He looked at the empty chair. Because beneath the plate was a final note. He picked it up. Only four words were written. You may leave now. Daniel looked at his sister. “For the first time,” he said, “I think we can.” They stood together. They walked to the door. Neither looked back. But just before Daniel stepped outside, he heard his mother's voice one last time. “Daniel?” He turned. The dining room was empty. “Yes, Mom?” Her voice came softly from the darkness. “Next time, eat while it's hot.” Daniel smiled. Then he closed the door behind him. Twenty years later, Daniel still remembered that dinner. He remembered the rain. The cold chicken. The empty chair. His mother's voice. Most of all, he remembered the strange peace that came after. He and Clara rebuilt their lives. They sold the house. Moved away. Married. Had children. They never spoke about the supernatural events of that night. Not to anyone. Until Clara was dying. She was ninety. Daniel sat beside her hospital bed. She smiled. “Do you remember the dinner?” “Yes.” “Do you remember what Mom told us?” “Yes.” Clara laughed weakly. “I never understood the last part.” “What last part?” “She said, ‘You may leave now.’” Daniel smiled. “What about it?” “She wasn't talking about the house.” He frowned. “What was she talking about?” Clara looked toward the empty chair beside her bed. Daniel followed her gaze. There was nothing there. Clara whispered: “She was talking about us.” Daniel's smile disappeared. “What do you mean?” Clara reached for his hand. “We were never supposed to survive that night.” He stared at her. “What?” “The real twist, Daniel.” Her grip tightened. “We didn't leave the house.” Daniel couldn't breathe. “We died there.” The hospital room vanished. The rain returned. The old dining room appeared. Two plates sat on the table. Two chairs. Two ghosts. Daniel looked at Clara. She was no longer ninety. She was fourteen again. He was sixteen. Across from them sat their mother. Young. Smiling. Waiting. Daniel looked down at his hands. They were transparent. Clara laughed. “We've been dead for thirty years.” Their mother lifted her fork. “Now,” she said, “you can finally finish dinner.” And this time, neither of them was hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment