Saturday 6 May 2023

THE FOREST AND THE TREES

 THE FOREST AND THE TREES

 

. . . . what comes to us alone

may be garbled by our own rationalization

and wishful thinking.

The benefit of talking to another person

is that we can get his direct comment

and counsel on our situation. . . . .

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 60

 

I cannot count the times

when I have been angry and frustrated

and said to myself, “I can’t see the forest for the trees!”

I finally realized that

what I needed when I was in such pain

was someone who could guide me in separating

the forest and the trees;

who could suggest a better path to follow;

who could assist me in putting out fires;

and help me avoid the rocks and pitfalls.

I ask God, when I’m in the forest, to give me the courage

to call upon a member of A.A.

 

**********************************************

Aspects of Tolerance

 

All kinds of people have found their way into A.A.

Not too long ago, I sat talking in my office

with a member who bears the title Countess.

That same night, I went to an A.A. meeting.

It was winter, and there was a mild-looking little gent

taking the coats. I said, "Who's that?"

And somebody answered,

"Oh, he's been around for a long time.

Everybody likes him.

He used to be one of Al Capone's mob."

That's how universal A.A. is today.

<< << <<      >> >> >>

We have no desire to convince anyone

that there is only one way by which faith can be acquired.

All of us, whatever our race, creed, or color

are the children of a living Creator,

with whom we may form a relationship

upon simple and understandable terms

as soon as we are willing and honest enough to try.

1. A.A. COMES OF AGE, P. 102

2. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, P. 28

As Bill Sees It, P. 175

No comments:

Post a Comment