Saturday 30 March 2024

Who does Lord Shiv Ji worship?

 

Who does Lord Shiv Ji worship?

You may have seen Lord Śiva worshipping others in other instances. But Lord Śiva himself has given an answer for this.

200-201. “O Govinda, I do not meditate on anything. I do not bow to anybody. But in order to inspire the unbelieving animal beings, (Pasu) etc. this is shown to them. O Hari, otherwise, they will remain sinners. Hence, it was to render help to the world that all these activities have been performed by me."

~ Narada Purana Ch. 79

The same is again repeated in Padma Purana.

Śaṅkara said: O Viṣṇu, I am not meditating upon anyone. I am not saluting anything. O Viṣṇu, I am not waiting upon anyone. I shall not mutter any prayer here; but O Viṣṇu, I have to exhibit (like) this for leading the unbelievers to activity. Otherwise they will be sinners. Therefore, for obliging the world, I have done all this.

~ Padma Purana Patala-Khanda Chapter 114

So, in reality Lord Śiva doesn’t meditate on anything/anyone. It’s Lord Śiva who has to be meditated upon.

शिव एको ध्येयः शिवंकरः सर्वमन्यत्परित्यज्य

Shiva alone is to be meditated upon, which would give rise to all benefits.

~ Atharvasikha Upanishad (from Atharva-Veda)

Why does Lord Śiva worship others when Brahmā and Viṣṇu themself are asking Śiva’s devotion as boon.

This Brahmā, the grandfather of the worlds, is my right arm and then left arm of mine is Visnu who constantly stays with me in war fares. I am very happy with you. I offer boons to you as per your desire. In case you are pleased and if boons are to be bestowed on us, О Lord of Devas, let there be eternal devotion in us for you.

~ Vayu Purana Ch.55

Repeated in Brahmanda Purana

This Brahmā, the grandfather of the worlds is my right hand. Viṣṇu who is never defeated in any battle, is my left hand. I am pleased well with both of you. I shall give unto you the boon as you please. We said to Mahādeva who was standing in front of us with grace.

“O lord of the Devas, you are delighted; if a boon has to be bestowed by you, let us be devoted to you for ever.”

~ Brahmanda Purana Anuṣaṅga-pāda Chapter 26

Again repeated in Padma Purana

Viṣṇu said: O Śambhu, let me always have devotion for the couple of your feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment