Sunday 3 March 2024

One of my Hindu friends said, Hinduism is not a religion. It is civilization. Is it true?

 

One of my Hindu friends said, Hinduism is not a religion. It is civilization. Is it true?

The very first Malaysian I met was a teenage Hijabi who was dressed very modestly.

When I asked her what her name was, she responded “Sarasvati” and I just stared at her incredibly surprised. Sarasvati/Saraswati, is the name of the Hindu Goddess of Art & Knowledge. Saraswati is also one of the most well known Hindu goddesses.

When I proceeded to ask her why she had a Hindu name, she replied “Malaysia is a Muslim country where the people live like Hindus, this is not weird for us. Even some of our imams have names from Sanskrit”.

That about sums up the influence Hinduism has had on many cultures and civilizations in the Asian continent and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment