Sunday 10 December 2023

Lakshmana

How powerful was Laxman according to Valmiki Ramayana? How powerful was Laxman? To answer this question, let me tell you a story: After the 14 years of exile, when Lord Rama came back to Ayodhya, then Agastya Rishi came to meet him and the conversation of Lanka war broke out. Lord Ram told him how he killed raging heroes like Ravana and Kumbhakarna and also Lakshmana killed many powerful asuras like Indrajit and Atikayya. Then Agastya Rishi said, 'Of course Ravana and Kumbhakarna were very brave, but the greatest asura was Meghnad (Indrajit). He fought Devraj Indra in heaven and tied him and brought him to Lanka. Indra was freed when Brahma asked Meghnad to leave him. Laxman killed the most powerful person, so he became the greatest warrior. Lord Ram was very happy to hear the praise of brother's bravery from Agastya rishi, but curiosity was arising in his mind that why Agastya Rishi is saying that Indrajit's slaughter was more difficult than Ravana. To calm the curiosity of Lord Ram, Agastya Rishi said, "Indrajit had the blessing that he can be killed by someone who had not slept for 12 years, who had not seen a woman's face for 12 years and has not eaten anything for 12 years. Hearing the words of Agastya Rishi Lord Ram said, "I used to give fruits and flowers of Laxman's share to him regularly for 14 years during the exile period". "I used to live in a hut with Sita, there was Lakshmana in the adjacent cottage, then how he had not even seen the face of Sita and had not slept for 12 years, how is this possible". Laxman was called and asked about the same. Then, he answered “When we went to the mountain, Sugriva asked us to identify her by showing her jewelry. I did not recognize any jewelry except Nupur on her feet, because I never looked at her. When you and Goddess Sita used to sleep in a hut, I used to guard outside all night. When sleep tried to capture my eyes, I had blocked my eyes with my arrows". Then Laxman told about being hungry for 12 years, "You used to do 3 parts of the fruits and flowers that I used to bring. You used to tell me by giving a portion - keep this fruit Lakshman. You never asked me to eat fruit - then how can I eat it without your permission? On hearing these things of Laxman, Lord Shri Ram embraced him". This was the reason that due to these harsh vows, he could do the courageous task of killing Meghnath and was called a brave warrior. Thanks All!

No comments:

Post a Comment