Tuesday 12 December 2023

A COMMON SOLUTION

God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; and Wisdom to know the difference. Thy will, not mine, be done. *~*~*~*~*^Daily Reflections^*~*~*~*~* December 12, 2023 A COMMON SOLUTION The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 17 The most far-reaching Twelfth Step work was the publication of our Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous. Few can equal that book for carrying the message. My idea is to get out of myself and simply do what I can. Even if I haven't been asked to sponsor and my phone rarely rings, I am still able to do Twelfth Step work. I get involved in "brotherly and harmonious action." At meetings I show up early to greet people and to help set up, and to share my experience, strength and hope. I also do what I can with service work. My Higher Power gives me exactly what He wants me to do at any given point in my recovery and, if I let Him, my willingness will bring Twelfth Step work automatically. ********************************************** Let Go Absolutely After failure on my part to dry up any drunks, Dr. Silkworth reminded me of Professor William James's observation that truly transforming spiritual experiences are nearly always founded on calamity and collapse. "Stop preaching at them," Dr. Silkworth said, "and give them the hard-medical facts first. This may soften them up at depth so that they will be willing to do anything to get well. Then they may accept those spiritual ideas of yours, and even a Higher Power." We beg of you to be fearless and thorough from the very start. Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil - until we let go absolutely. 1. A.A. COMES OF AGE, P. 13 2. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, P. 58 ******* Just a thought……………. "True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly under the grace of God." (BB - p. 125) So ...... Are we trying to be useful to someone but ourselves? Are we walking or racing? Walking or crawling? Proudly and arrogantly or humbly with humility? Have we found a balance, a perspective? If grace is an undeserved favor from God, are we grateful for the grace we've been so freely given? Is it God's will or our will we're trying to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment