Thursday 13 April 2023

THE FALSE COMFORT OF SELF-PITY

 THE FALSE COMFORT OF SELF-PITY

 

Self-pity is one of the most unhappy

and consuming defects that we know.

It is a bar to all spiritual progress

and can cut off all effective communication

with our fellows because of its

inordinate demands for attention and sympathy.

It is a maudlin form of martyrdom,

which we can ill afford.

AS BILL SEES IT, p. 238

 

The false comfort of self-pity

screens me from reality only momentarily

and then demands, like a drug,

that I take an ever-bigger dose.

If I succumb to this

it could lead to a relapse into drinking.

What can I do?

One certain antidote is to turn my attention,

however slightly at first, toward others

who are genuinely less fortunate than I,

preferably other alcoholics.

In the same degree that I actively

demonstrate my empathy with them,

I will lessen my own exaggerated suffering.

 

**********************************************

IN GOD'S ECONOMY

 

"In God's economy, nothing is wasted.

Through failure, we learn a lesson in humility

which is probably needed, painful though it is."

We did not always come closer to wisdom

by reason of our virtues;

our better understanding is often rooted

in the pains of our former follies.

Because this has been

the essence of our individual experience,

it is also the essence of our experience as a fellowship.

1. LETTER, 1942

No comments:

Post a Comment