Thursday, 24 September 2026
The summer began with a lie.
The summer began with a lie.
It was a small lie, almost harmless.
At least, that was what seventeen-year-old Anaya Sharma told herself when she stepped off the bus in the little coastal town of Bellmare and told the first person she met that her name was Ana.
She had spent the entire journey imagining the place.
In her mind, Bellmare was going to be quiet and sleepy, with white houses, blue shutters, and a sea that stretched forever. She imagined spending three months reading books on the beach, eating too much ice cream, and avoiding every difficult conversation waiting for her back home.
She had not imagined him.
He was standing beside the bus stop when she arrived.
Tall.
Sun-browned.
Messy black hair.
A faded blue shirt with the sleeves rolled to his elbows.
He was holding a bicycle with one hand and eating a peach with the other.
He looked at her suitcase.
Then at her.
Then at the suitcase again.
“You’re lost,” he said.
Anaya frowned.
“I’m not.”
“You’ve been staring at the same street sign for three minutes.”
“I was thinking.”
“About what?”
“Whether the sign is wrong.”
He smiled.
“It isn't.”
“How do you know?”
“Because I live here.”
She looked at the sign.
Then at him.
“That's not proof.”
He laughed.
“I’m Kabir.”
She hesitated.
“Ana.”
The lie slipped out before she could stop it.
Kabir nodded.
“Ana, then.”
He finished his peach and tossed the stone into a nearby trash bin.
He missed.
“Very impressive,” Anaya said.
“I was aiming for the road.”
“Sure.”
He picked up the stone and threw it again.
This time it landed perfectly.
“There.”
“Beginner's luck.”
“Want me to carry your suitcase?”
“No.”
“Good.”
He got on his bicycle.
Then, after riding three meters, he stopped.
“Where are you staying?”
“Rosewood House.”
He pointed down the road.
“That's twenty minutes away.”
“I can walk.”
“In this heat?”
“Yes.”
“You'll melt.”
“I'll survive.”
He smiled.
“See you later, Ana.”
She watched him ride away.
She told herself she was glad.
She told herself she had come to Bellmare to be alone.
She told herself many things that summer.
Most of them were lies.
________________________________________
Rosewood House belonged to Anaya's aunt, Mira, who spent most of the year traveling for work.
Her aunt greeted her at the door, hugged her tightly, and immediately began talking about everything except the reason Anaya had been sent away.
“You'll love the beach.”
“I know.”
“And the old lighthouse.”
“I've seen pictures.”
“And there’s a summer festival next month.”
“Sounds fun.”
“And—”
“Aunt Mira.”
Her aunt stopped.
Anaya smiled.
“I'll be fine.”
Mira looked at her carefully.
“You don't have to be fine all the time.”
Anaya looked away.
“I know.”
Neither of them mentioned the hospital.
Neither mentioned the diagnosis.
Neither mentioned the word treatment.
Instead, Mira carried the suitcase upstairs.
That evening, Anaya walked to the beach.
The sun was setting.
The sea looked like molten gold.
She took off her shoes and stepped into the water.
“Careful.”
She turned.
Kabir was standing behind her.
“You follow everyone you meet?”
“Only suspicious people.”
“You think I'm suspicious?”
“You lied about your name.”
Anaya froze.
“How do you know?”
He shrugged.
“People named Ana don't look at their own reflection every time someone says their name.”
She laughed despite herself.
“You're annoying.”
“I've been told.”
He pointed toward the water.
“Come swimming.”
“No.”
“Why?”
“I don't have a swimsuit.”
“You're wearing clothes.”
“That is not an argument.”
He walked backward into the sea.
“Your loss.”
Then he dove beneath the waves.
Anaya watched.
Five seconds.
Ten.
Twenty.
She frowned.
“Where did he—”
Kabir surfaced several meters away.
“Still alive!”
She laughed.
“You're ridiculous.”
“Come on!”
She shook her head.
But eventually, she walked into the water.
That was how it began.
Not with fireworks.
Not with music.
Just two teenagers running into the sea at sunset.
________________________________________
The days became longer.
Anaya and Kabir began meeting almost every afternoon.
They explored hidden beaches.
They climbed the lighthouse.
They bought mango ice cream from a woman who always gave Kabir an extra scoop because he had once fixed her broken bicycle.
They rode through town until sunset.
Kabir taught Anaya how to ride his bicycle.
She crashed into a hedge.
He laughed so hard that he fell off the bicycle himself.
She threw a leaf at him.
He threw two back.
They spent an entire afternoon fighting with leaves.
Neither remembered what they had originally been doing.
One night, they sat on the lighthouse roof watching the stars.
“Do you ever wonder what's out there?” Kabir asked.
“Space?”
“Beyond Bellmare.”
Anaya smiled.
“All the time.”
“Where would you go?”
“Anywhere.”
“That's not a place.”
“Paris.”
“Too expensive.”
“Tokyo.”
“Too far.”
“New York.”
“Too loud.”
“London.”
“Too rainy.”
She turned toward him.
“What about you?”
He thought for a moment.
“I'd stay.”
“Here?”
“Maybe.”
“You never want to leave?”
Kabir looked toward the ocean.
“My father says Bellmare is the only place worth knowing.”
“And what do you think?”
“I think he's wrong.”
Anaya smiled.
“Good.”
“Why?”
“Because someday I want to show you everything else.”
He looked at her.
For a moment, neither spoke.
The wind moved through her hair.
Kabir reached over and gently moved a strand away from her face.
Anaya's heart began beating faster.
He leaned closer.
She didn't move.
Their lips almost touched.
Then—
“ANA!”
Her aunt's voice echoed from below.
They jumped apart.
Anaya laughed nervously.
Kabir grinned.
“Saved by your aunt.”
“Shut up.”
________________________________________
By August, everyone in Bellmare knew about them.
They were always together.
People smiled when they passed.
The woman at the ice cream shop started calling them “the summer couple.”
Anaya pretended to hate it.
Kabir loved it.
One evening, they sat on the beach beneath a blanket.
Kabir handed her a small wooden box.
“What is this?”
“Open it.”
Inside was a silver pendant shaped like a tiny wave.
Anaya stared at it.
“You made this?”
“Sort of.”
“What does that mean?”
“I bought the silver.”
She laughed.
“And?”
“I carved the wave.”
“It looks like a potato.”
“It's a wave.”
“It's definitely a potato.”
He took it back.
“Fine. I'll give it to someone else.”
She grabbed it.
“No.”
He smiled.
“Thought so.”
She put it around her neck.
“Thank you.”
“For the record, it took me three attempts.”
“I like it.”
“Really?”
“Really.”
She looked at him.
“I don't want this summer to end.”
His smile faded.
“Neither do I.”
“Promise?”
He looked at her for a long moment.
“I promise.”
She leaned against his shoulder.
The ocean whispered in the darkness.
Neither of them knew how cruel that promise would become.
________________________________________
The first sign was the hospital bracelet.
Anaya noticed it when Kabir reached for her hand at the festival.
There was a faint white line around his wrist.
“What happened?”
He pulled his sleeve down.
“Nothing.”
“You have a hospital bracelet.”
“Old one.”
“When?”
“A while ago.”
“What happened?”
He smiled.
“I'm fine.”
She studied him.
“You always say that.”
“So do you.”
That silenced her.
The festival lights flickered above them.
Music played.
Children ran between the stalls.
Kabir bought her cotton candy.
Anaya didn't ask again.
Not that night.
________________________________________
Two weeks later, Anaya woke up in the middle of the night.
She couldn't breathe.
Her chest hurt.
She sat up.
A terrible dizziness swept over her.
She reached for the glass of water beside the bed.
It slipped from her hand.
The crash woke Aunt Mira.
Within minutes, they were in the car.
The hospital was twenty minutes away.
Anaya stared out the window.
The town passed in a blur.
She knew what was happening.
She had known for months.
The doctors had told her she might have six months.
Maybe less.
The summer was supposed to be her escape.
Kabir was never supposed to know.
Because knowing would change everything.
And she couldn't bear that.
At the hospital, the doctors stabilized her.
Mira sat beside the bed, crying silently.
Anaya looked at her.
“I don't want to go home.”
“You don't have to.”
“I want to go back to Bellmare.”
Mira squeezed her hand.
“You're staying here tonight.”
“Tomorrow?”
“We'll see.”
Anaya closed her eyes.
Tomorrow.
She had begun measuring her life in tomorrows.
________________________________________
The next morning, she left the hospital against medical advice.
When she returned to Bellmare, Kabir was waiting outside Rosewood House.
He looked furious.
“You disappeared.”
“I had something to do.”
“You didn't answer your phone.”
“It died.”
“You're lying.”
She stopped.
He walked closer.
“What happened?”
“Nothing.”
“You're doing it again.”
“Doing what?”
“Pretending everything is fine.”
She looked away.
Kabir's voice softened.
“Ana.”
She couldn't look at him.
“I'm sorry.”
“For what?”
She began crying.
He stepped forward.
She backed away.
“Don't.”
“What?”
“Don't make this harder.”
He stared at her.
“What are you talking about?”
She took off the pendant.
Held it out to him.
“Take it.”
He didn't move.
“Why?”
“Because I can't keep it.”
“Why?”
She swallowed.
“Because I'm sick.”
His face changed.
“I don't understand.”
“I have cancer.”
The word seemed to stop the world.
The sea.
The wind.
The birds.
Everything.
Kabir stared at her.
“How long?”
She couldn't answer.
“How long?”
“Maybe a few months.”
He shook his head.
“No.”
“Kabir—”
“No.”
“I didn't want you to know.”
“Why?”
“Because I wanted one summer where I wasn't the girl who was dying.”
His eyes filled with tears.
“You should have told me.”
“I wanted you to remember me.”
He stepped closer.
“I don't want to remember you.”
She looked at him.
“I want you here.”
She cried harder.
“I can't promise that.”
“You promised.”
“I know.”
He pulled her into his arms.
She buried her face against his chest.
For a long time, neither moved.
Then Kabir whispered:
“We'll make the rest of the summer count.”
________________________________________
They stopped counting days.
They stopped talking about the future.
They lived.
They swam at midnight.
They slept on the beach.
They stole peaches from a market stall.
They watched every sunrise.
They wrote their names on the lighthouse wall.
They danced in the rain.
And every night, Kabir asked the same question.
“Are you happy?”
Every night, Anaya answered:
“Yes.”
Until the final week of summer.
Anaya became weaker.
She slept more.
She stopped swimming.
One morning, she couldn't climb the lighthouse stairs.
Kabir carried her.
Halfway up, she laughed.
“Put me down.”
“No.”
“You're going to drop me.”
“I won't.”
“You're shaking.”
“So are you.”
When they reached the top, they sat beneath the old light.
Anaya leaned against him.
“Do you remember our first day?”
“You lied about your name.”
She smiled.
“I'm sorry.”
“You're forgiven.”
“I never told you my real name.”
Kabir looked at her.
“What is it?”
“Anaya.”
He repeated it softly.
“Anaya.”
She closed her eyes.
“Say it again.”
“Anaya.”
She smiled.
“I like that.”
________________________________________
On the last night of August, Bellmare held a fireworks festival.
The entire town gathered on the beach.
Music filled the air.
Children ran between the crowds.
Couples held hands.
Anaya and Kabir sat together at the edge of the water.
The first firework exploded above them.
Red.
Then blue.
Then gold.
Anaya rested her head on his shoulder.
“Promise me something.”
“Anything.”
“When I leave…”
He went still.
“Don't say that.”
“When I leave, don't stop living.”
He looked at her.
“I can't promise that.”
“You have to.”
“I don't know how.”
“You'll learn.”
Another firework exploded.
She took his hand.
“I want you to travel.”
“Where?”
“Everywhere.”
“Without you?”
“With me.”
She smiled.
“In your memories.”
He looked down.
The next firework lit the sky.
Then another.
Then—
Anaya suddenly gasped.
Her hand tightened around his.
“Anaya?”
She couldn't breathe.
Kabir stood.
“Help!”
People turned.
She collapsed.
The world became noise.
Sirens.
Footsteps.
Voices.
Hands.
Lights.
Kabir refused to let go.
At the hospital, doctors rushed her through the emergency doors.
Kabir waited.
One hour.
Two.
Three.
At dawn, a doctor finally came out.
Kabir stood.
“How is she?”
The doctor looked at him.
“She survived the night.”
Kabir exhaled.
“But…”
He knew there was always a but.
“She needs a transplant.”
“Then she'll get one.”
“We need a donor.”
“Test me.”
“You're too young.”
“Test me.”
The doctor hesitated.
“Fine.”
________________________________________
Three days later, Kabir received a phone call.
He had spent those days beside Anaya's hospital bed.
She barely spoke.
She slept most of the time.
He had stopped pretending he wasn't terrified.
The phone rang.
He answered.
“Hello?”
The voice on the other end was a doctor.
“Mr. Khan?”
“Yes.”
“We received your test results.”
Kabir sat upright.
“And?”
There was silence.
“You're a match.”
His heart stopped.
“What?”
“You're a compatible donor.”
Kabir looked toward Anaya.
She was asleep.
Tears filled his eyes.
“When can we do it?”
The doctor paused.
“There is something else you need to know.”
“What?”
“The transplant can only be performed once.”
Kabir frowned.
“I don't understand.”
“The donor procedure is dangerous.”
“How dangerous?”
The doctor hesitated.
“Fatal in rare cases.”
Kabir looked at Anaya.
She opened her eyes.
“What happened?”
He couldn't speak.
She sat up slowly.
“Kabir?”
He walked toward her.
“Nothing.”
She smiled weakly.
“You're lying again.”
He sat beside her.
Took her hand.
And for the first time since they met, he didn't know what to say.
________________________________________
The transplant took place two weeks later.
Anaya survived.
Kabir didn't.
The doctors said there had been complications.
His heart had stopped.
They tried to revive him.
They failed.
Anaya woke up three days later.
Her first question was:
“Where's Kabir?”
Nobody answered.
She asked again.
“Where is he?”
A nurse began crying.
Anaya understood.
“No.”
She tried to sit up.
“No.”
Her aunt held her.
“Anaya…”
“No!”
She screamed until her throat hurt.
She pulled the pendant from beneath her hospital gown.
The little silver wave rested against her chest.
She held it tightly.
“He promised.”
Mira cried.
“He kept his promise.”
Anaya shook her head.
“He promised we'd see everything.”
________________________________________
A year later, Anaya returned to Bellmare.
She walked along the beach alone.
The town looked exactly the same.
The ice cream shop.
The lighthouse.
The old market.
The blue house near the harbor.
Everything remained.
Except him.
She climbed the lighthouse.
It took her an hour.
At the top, she found the words they had carved into the wall.
ANAYA + KABIR
Underneath, someone had written:
A summer is not measured by its length.
She touched the words.
Then she noticed something else.
A small envelope had been taped beneath the railing.
Her name was written on it.
ANAYA
Her hands trembled.
She opened it.
Inside was a photograph.
It showed her standing on the beach, laughing.
She didn't remember anyone taking it.
On the back were six words.
You were my whole summer.
She pressed the photograph against her chest.
And then she saw the final line.
Don't spend the rest of your life missing me. Spend it living for both of us.
Anaya cried.
But this time, she smiled through the tears.
Years later, she would travel.
Paris.
Tokyo.
New York.
London.
Every place they had once imagined.
She would swim in oceans he never saw.
She would climb mountains he never climbed.
She would fall in love again someday, though she would always carry a quiet piece of the summer that had changed her.
And every August, she returned to Bellmare.
On the final night of summer, she sat beside the sea.
She wore the silver wave around her neck.
Fireworks exploded over the water.
Red.
Blue.
Gold.
And for a moment, in the reflection of the waves, she could almost see him beside her.
Seventeen years old.
Messy black hair.
Faded blue shirt.
That impossible smile.
“You're late,” he seemed to say.
She laughed softly.
“I know.”
The sea rolled toward her feet.
She closed her eyes.
“I kept my promise.”
The wind moved through her hair.
And somewhere beyond the darkness, the waves answered.
The summer ended.
But their story never did.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment