Wednesday, 9 September 2026

The King Who Became a Monk for One Day

The King Who Became a Monk for One Day King Rudraveer had everything a man could desire. He had a palace of white marble. He had twelve gardens filled with roses and sandalwood trees. He had horses from distant kingdoms, jewels from mountain mines, ships that crossed foreign seas, and soldiers whose armor flashed beneath the sun. When he entered a room, everyone stood. When he spoke, everyone listened. When he wanted something, it was brought to him. When he disliked someone, that person disappeared from court. For twenty-two years, Rudraveer had been king. And for twenty-two years, everyone had told him the same thing. "You are fortunate." But Rudraveer had begun to wonder whether they were wrong. Perhaps he was the most unfortunate man in the kingdom. Because the one thing he desperately wanted could not be commanded. Silence. The trouble began with a sound. A whisper. The king had been attending a council meeting when he heard two ministers speaking behind a curtain. "The king is losing his mind." "No. He is simply tired." "He has become suspicious of everyone." "Wouldn't you be suspicious if everyone around you wanted something?" The king stopped walking. The ministers did not know he was there. He listened. "He trusts nobody." "Can you blame him?" "His own brother betrayed him." "His generals compete with one another." "His son wants the throne." "And the people?" A pause. "They fear him." Rudraveer quietly walked away. He returned to his chamber. That evening, he dismissed everyone. He sat alone beside an open window. Below, thousands of lamps illuminated the capital. The city belonged to him. The army belonged to him. The treasury belonged to him. Even the lives of his subjects, in some terrible sense, depended on his decisions. Yet he could not find one person who would speak to him without fear. He whispered: "What is the use of being king?" No one answered. The next morning, the king announced that he was ill. Doctors arrived. He refused them. "Leave me alone." For three days, he remained in bed. On the fourth morning, he called his chief minister, Haridas. "I am going away." Haridas stared at him. "Where?" "I don't know." "Your Majesty, the kingdom—" "The kingdom will survive." "Where will you go?" Rudraveer looked at him. "Somewhere nobody knows me." Haridas became frightened. "Are you planning to abdicate?" "No." "Then?" "I want to stop being king." "For how long?" Rudraveer thought. "One day." Haridas blinked. "One day?" "Yes." The minister stared at him. "Your Majesty, that makes no sense." "Exactly." That evening, Rudraveer left the palace secretly. He wore an old brown robe. He removed his crown. He left his sword behind. He took only a wooden bowl and a walking stick. No guards accompanied him. No horses. No servants. He walked through the city. Nobody recognized him. For the first time in twenty-two years, nobody bowed. It felt wonderful. He laughed. A fruit seller shouted at him. "Move! You're blocking the road." Rudraveer smiled. Nobody had spoken to him like that in years. He kept walking. Beyond the city stood an old monastery. It belonged to a group of monks who had taken vows of simplicity. The abbot, Swami Anant, was sitting beneath a neem tree. Rudraveer approached. "I want to become a monk." The abbot looked at him. "For how long?" "One day." Anant smiled. "Why?" "I am tired." "Of what?" "Everything." "Power?" "Yes." "People?" "Yes." "Responsibility?" "Yes." The abbot studied him. "And what do you expect to find here?" "Peace." "Then you have come to the wrong place." Rudraveer frowned. "Why?" "Because peace is not a place." The king was silent. Anant stood. "If you want to stay, you must work." "I have servants." "Not here." "What must I do?" "Clean the kitchen." Rudraveer stared at him. "Anything else?" "Wash the bowls." "Anything else?" "Carry water." Rudraveer sighed. "Fine." The abbot smiled. "Good. Your royal education has begun." Rudraveer's first task was carrying water from a well. He had never carried water in his life. The bucket was heavy. He spilled half of it before reaching the monastery. A young monk laughed. Rudraveer glared. "What's funny?" "You." "Why?" "You walk like a king." "I am not a king." The monk smiled. "Then why are you angry like one?" Rudraveer said nothing. That afternoon, he cleaned the kitchen. He broke three bowls. The cook shouted. "You useless man!" Rudraveer nearly ordered his arrest. Then he remembered. He was not king. He apologized. The cook stared at him. "Who are you?" "Nobody." "Good." The cook handed him another bowl. "Wash it." By sunset, Rudraveer was exhausted. He sat beneath a tree. The young monk joined him. "My name is Dev." "Rudra." "Where are you from?" "Far away." "What did you do?" "I ruled." Dev laughed. "Ruled what?" "A kingdom." "Really?" "Yes." "How many people?" "Nearly three million." Dev looked impressed. "That's a lot of people." Rudraveer nodded. "Did they obey you?" "Most of them." "Then why did you leave?" Rudraveer looked toward the mountains. "Because I discovered something." "What?" "Everyone obeyed me." Dev waited. "And?" "I realized nobody loved me." Dev was quiet. Then he asked: "Did you love them?" Rudraveer looked at him sharply. "What?" "Your people." "I protected them." "That's not what I asked." Rudraveer looked away. "I don't know." That night, the monks ate rice and vegetables. No silver plates. No musicians. No elaborate ceremony. Just food. Rudraveer ate more peacefully than he had eaten in years. After dinner, the monks gathered around a fire. The abbot spoke. "A man once came to me and said, 'I want to become enlightened.'" "What did you tell him?" someone asked. "I told him to wash the floor." The monks laughed. The abbot smiled. "He became angry." "Why?" "Because he wanted enlightenment to make him important." Rudraveer looked at him. "Did he succeed?" "No." "What happened?" "He spent twenty years washing floors." "And?" "One morning he realized he no longer cared whether anyone noticed." The fire crackled. The abbot looked at Rudraveer. "That was the beginning." Rudraveer slept on a mat. He dreamed of the palace. He saw the throne. The crown. The army. The ministers. Then he saw himself sitting alone. He woke before dawn. For several minutes, he listened. No trumpets. No guards. No servants. Only birds. He smiled. Perhaps this was peace. Perhaps he had found what he wanted. At sunrise, Anant gave him another task. "Go into the village." "Why?" "Beg for food." Rudraveer stared at him. "Beg?" "Yes." "I have never begged." "Then today will be educational." Rudraveer took the bowl. He walked into the village. The first woman refused him. "Go away." The second gave him a piece of bread. The third laughed. "Young man, get a job." Rudraveer wanted to tell her he owned half the land around her village. Instead, he bowed. "Thank you." At the fourth house, an old woman filled his bowl. Then she looked closely at him. "You look familiar." Rudraveer's heart stopped. "Do I?" "Yes." "Who do I resemble?" She squinted. "The king." Rudraveer laughed nervously. "I've never met him." The woman smiled. "Good. He looks unhappy." When Rudraveer returned, the abbot was waiting. "You were recognized." "No." "Someone thought you resembled the king." "What should I do?" "Nothing." "What if someone discovers me?" "Then they discover you." Rudraveer frowned. "I came here to escape." "From whom?" "Everyone." Anant nodded. "And did you?" Rudraveer looked around. The monks were laughing. Someone was sweeping. A child was playing near the well. He suddenly understood. "No." "Why?" "Because I brought myself." The abbot smiled. "Now you're learning." By afternoon, something changed. A messenger arrived at the monastery. He was carrying a royal seal. Rudraveer's heart began beating faster. The messenger spoke to Anant. "The king has disappeared." Rudraveer froze. The abbot looked at him. The messenger continued: "The ministers are fighting." "The prince has demanded the throne." "Several generals have moved troops toward the capital." "Rumors say the king is dead." Rudraveer stood. "What?" The messenger looked at him. "Who are you?" Anant answered. "A monk." The messenger left. Rudraveer turned to the abbot. "I must return." "Why?" "Because my kingdom is collapsing." Anant said nothing. "I must go." "Then go." Rudraveer took one step. Then stopped. "Are you not going to stop me?" "No." "Why?" "Because if you are still running from yourself, another day will not cure you." Rudraveer stared at him. "What do you mean?" Anant smiled. "Come back when you know." Rudraveer returned to the palace that evening. The gates opened. Soldiers fell to their knees. "Your Majesty!" He walked through the courtyard. Ministers ran toward him. The prince embraced him. "You are alive!" Rudraveer pushed him away. "What happened?" "Your disappearance created chaos." "And the generals?" "They were preparing for war." "Why?" "Everyone assumed the throne was empty." Rudraveer looked at the throne. He suddenly felt tired. Very tired. He walked into the great hall. His crown lay on the throne. He stared at it. Then he did something nobody expected. He picked it up. He placed it on the floor. And stepped on it. Everyone gasped. The prince whispered: "Father?" Rudraveer turned. "I am going back." "To the monastery?" "Yes." The hall erupted. "Your Majesty!" "You cannot!" "The kingdom needs you!" Rudraveer raised his hand. Silence. "I spent twenty-two years believing the kingdom needed a king." He looked at the ministers. "I was wrong." That night, Rudraveer returned to the monastery. Anant was waiting. "You came back." "Yes." "What did you learn?" Rudraveer sat down. "I thought power was the problem." "And?" "I was the problem." Anant smiled. "Better." "I thought I wanted freedom." "And?" "I wanted to escape responsibility." "Better." "I thought I wanted peace." "And?" Rudraveer looked at him. "I wanted silence." Anant waited. "But peace is different." "How?" "Peace means I can remain calm even when the world is not." The abbot nodded. "And now?" Rudraveer smiled. "I want to become king again." Anant laughed. "Of course." The next morning, Rudraveer returned to the capital. But he was not the same man. He abolished several royal privileges. He reduced taxes on farmers. He opened the royal granaries during famine. He required ministers to hold public meetings. He allowed criticism of the crown. He dismissed officials who had used fear to control citizens. Most importantly, he began listening. At first, people were suspicious. Then they noticed something. The king had changed. He no longer entered meetings demanding obedience. He entered asking questions. "Who disagrees?" "Why?" "What am I missing?" His ministers were terrified at first. Then they became honest. The kingdom improved. But there was one person who remained unhappy. His son. Prince Veer. Veer had spent years waiting to become king. He believed his father was weak. "You have abandoned the throne," he said one night. Rudraveer looked at him. "No." "You spend time with monks." "Yes." "You speak to peasants." "Yes." "You allow people to insult you." "If they have reason." "You have become weak." Rudraveer smiled. "Perhaps." Veer stepped closer. "Then perhaps the kingdom needs someone stronger." Rudraveer looked at his son. "Do you want my throne?" Veer said nothing. "Take it." The prince stared. "What?" "If you can convince the council that you are ready, I will give you the crown." Veer did not expect this. "You're serious?" "Yes." "Why?" "Because a crown should belong to someone who wants to serve." Veer smiled. "I will prove myself." The council met. Veer gave a powerful speech. He promised strength. Order. Expansion. Glory. Some ministers applauded. Then Rudraveer spoke. "I have one question for my son." Veer looked at him. "If you become king, what will you do when your people disobey you?" Veer answered immediately. "I will punish them." "And if they criticize you?" "Silence them." "If they resist?" "Crush them." Rudraveer nodded. "Thank you." He turned to the council. "Now you know what kind of king he will be." The council chose Rudraveer. Veer left the room furious. Three months later, disaster struck. A rebellion began in the northern provinces. Veer secretly supported it. He believed the army would overthrow his father. Rudraveer was warned. "Arrest him." The generals demanded. "Execute him." The ministers insisted. Rudraveer refused. "He is my son." "He is a traitor." "Yes." "Then punish him." Rudraveer shook his head. "I will not allow my anger to become law." He summoned Veer. The prince entered expecting execution. Instead, his father gave him a choice. "Leave the kingdom." "Why?" "Because I cannot trust you." "You are banishing me?" "I am giving you the chance to become someone better." Veer stared at him. "You still love me?" Rudraveer nodded. "That is why I cannot give you the throne." Years passed. Rudraveer became known as the Quiet King. He remained powerful. But he no longer loved power for its own sake. Every year, on the anniversary of his disappearance, he returned to the monastery. He would remove his crown. Wash dishes. Carry water. Sweep the floor. One year, Anant asked: "Do you still want to be king?" Rudraveer smiled. "Yes." "Why?" "Because I finally understand what a king is." "What?" "Not the owner of a kingdom." He looked toward the village. "The servant of one." Anant nodded. "Then perhaps you are ready." "Ready for what?" The abbot said nothing. When Rudraveer was seventy-two, he became ill. His doctors told him he had only months to live. He called his ministers. "I will abdicate." The council protested. But Rudraveer insisted. "I spent half my life believing the throne made me important." He smiled. "It doesn't." He appointed a council of representatives to govern until a successor could be chosen. Then he left the palace. For the last time. He returned to the monastery. Anant had died years earlier. A younger monk was now abbot. Rudraveer entered the monastery carrying his old wooden bowl. The abbot recognized him. "You have returned." "Yes." "To stay?" Rudraveer smiled. "Yes." He spent his final weeks there. One morning, he asked for the crown he had carried with him. The monks brought it. Rudraveer placed it on the floor. He looked at it for a long time. Then he laughed. "What?" A monk asked. "I spent my life trying to possess this." He touched the crown. "And all it ever did was possess me." That afternoon, Rudraveer died beneath the neem tree. The kingdom mourned. Thousands came to his funeral. But something strange happened. The crown was not buried with him. He had ordered it melted down. The gold was used to build a school. Years later, a young student asked her teacher: "Was King Rudraveer really a great king?" The teacher smiled. "That depends." "On what?" "On which Rudraveer you mean." "The king." "The first one was powerful." "And the second?" "The second one was wise." "Which was better?" The teacher looked toward the school courtyard. "The one who became a monk for one day." The girl frowned. "But he was a king." "Yes." "Then why become a monk?" "Because he needed to lose his crown before he could understand it." But there was one final secret. It was discovered nearly a century later. While repairing the monastery's old library, workers found a sealed wooden box. Inside was a letter written by Rudraveer. It was addressed to Anant. The letter had never been delivered. It read: You once asked me why I wanted to become a monk. I gave you many answers. None were true. I said I was tired of power. I was actually tired of fear. I said I wanted peace. I actually wanted to escape responsibility. I said I wanted to discover God. I actually wanted to discover myself. You taught me something in one day that twenty-two years on a throne could not teach me. The world does not become smaller when you remove the crown. You become smaller when you believe the crown makes you greater. I wanted to become a monk for one day. Instead, that one day became the rest of my life. The letter ended with a final sentence: If anyone asks whether I was happier as a king or as a monk, tell them neither. I was happiest when I stopped needing to be either. The monks preserved the letter. And the story of Rudraveer became legend. Not the story of a king who abandoned his kingdom. Not the story of a monk who returned to power. But the story of a man who discovered that the greatest throne is the one inside the mind—and the greatest victory is learning that you do not have to sit upon it. And somewhere beneath the old neem tree, where the king had once carried water in a wooden bucket, a small wildflower grew. Nobody planted it. Nobody watered it. Nobody claimed it. It simply grew. And that, the monks said, was exactly how Rudraveer had finally learned to live. Without ownership. Without applause. Without fear. Free.

No comments:

Post a Comment