Tuesday, 8 September 2026

The Day the Fire Went Out

The Day the Fire Went Out Raghav had been angry for so long that he no longer remembered what peace felt like. Anger had become his second skin. It lived in his voice, in the way he walked, in the tightening of his jaw whenever someone disagreed with him. It lived behind his eyes, where even ordinary inconveniences became personal insults. A late bus made him furious. A waiter bringing cold tea made him furious. A neighbor parking his scooter too close to Raghav's gate could ruin his entire evening. He shouted at shopkeepers. He argued with strangers. He insulted his employees. He had once thrown a glass at his younger brother during an argument over money. The glass missed. His brother did not. He stopped speaking to Raghav after that. Raghav told everyone it was his brother's fault. That was how he survived. Nothing was ever his fault. At forty-three, Raghav had a respectable job, a modest house, a wife named Meera, and a daughter named Anika. He had everything a reasonable man might have considered enough. Yet Raghav felt cheated by life. He believed the world owed him something. Respect. Success. Recognition. Obedience. And whenever the world failed to provide those things, he became angry. His wife learned to recognize the signs. The silence at dinner. The sharp closing of doors. The way he threw his keys onto the table. The smell of alcohol on his breath. The alcohol had begun innocently enough. A glass after work. Then two. Then a bottle shared with colleagues. Then a bottle alone. Eventually, he no longer needed an excuse. He drank when he was angry. He drank when he was sad. He drank when he was happy. He drank because he had nothing to do. And he drank because he had too much to think about. Alcohol did not cure his anger. It simply gave his anger a louder voice. One evening, Raghav returned home drunk. Meera was waiting at the dining table. Their daughter sat beside her with a schoolbook open. "You are late," Meera said quietly. Raghav threw his keys down. "So?" "You promised Anika you'd help her with her project." "I forgot." "You promised." "I said I forgot!" Anika lowered her eyes. Meera looked at him. "You're drunk." Raghav laughed. "So now you're my doctor?" "I'm your wife." "Then behave like one." Meera stared at him. "What does that mean?" "It means stop lecturing me." "I am not lecturing you." "You always lecture me." "Because you're destroying yourself." Raghav slammed his fist on the table. "Enough!" The room went silent. Anika flinched. Raghav saw it. For half a second, shame entered his eyes. Then anger pushed it away. He pointed at his daughter. "And you—stop staring at me like that." Anika stood. She ran to her room. Meera's face hardened. "Leave her alone." Raghav shouted something he would later not remember. Meera did. She remembered every word. That night, she took Anika and went to her mother's house. Raghav woke the next morning to an empty home. On the kitchen table was a piece of paper. There were only four words. We are afraid of you. Raghav read them. He crumpled the paper. Then he opened another bottle. The months that followed were worse. Meera stopped answering his calls. Anika refused to speak to him. At work, his temper finally cost him his position. He screamed at his manager during a meeting. The manager told him to leave. Raghav cursed him. By evening, he was unemployed. His friends stopped inviting him anywhere. His brother refused to see him. His savings disappeared into alcohol. His house became dirty. His beard grew wild. His eyes lost their brightness. He had become exactly what he once despised. A bitter, lonely man sitting in a dark room with a bottle. One rainy night, Raghav drank until he could no longer stand. He stumbled outside. He did not know where he was going. He walked through the rain without an umbrella. At some point, he reached the old temple near the river. He had passed it hundreds of times. He had never entered. He had always considered religion something for weak people. He stood beneath the temple's stone archway. A bell rang somewhere inside. Raghav looked toward the sound. An old man was sitting near the temple steps. He wore a simple white robe. His hair was silver. His face was peaceful. Beside him sat a small brass bowl. The old man was feeding stray dogs. One dog came close. The old man smiled and gave it a piece of bread. Raghav stared. The old man looked up. Their eyes met. "You are angry," the old man said. Raghav laughed. "So?" The old man smiled. "Nothing." "Then why say it?" "Because sometimes a man needs to hear what everyone else is afraid to tell him." Raghav walked closer. "Who are you?" "People call me Swami Anand." "Are you a priest?" "Something like that." "A Guru?" The old man shrugged. "If you need to call me that." Raghav laughed again. "Can you fix my life, Guruji?" Swami Anand looked at him. "No." Raghav was surprised. "Then what good are you?" The Guru smiled. "I can show you where you went wrong." "And then?" "You must walk back yourself." Raghav sat down. He had no idea why. Perhaps it was the rain. Perhaps the alcohol. Perhaps something inside him was tired of fighting. "I have nothing left," he said. Swami Anand handed him a cup of water. "You have a choice." "I've tried everything." "No." "What haven't I tried?" "Silence." Raghav frowned. "I don't understand." "You have spent years shouting at everyone. When was the last time you sat quietly and listened to yourself?" Raghav looked away. "I don't like what I hear." "That is why you drink." The words struck him. Raghav became angry. "You don't know me." "I know enough." "You think you're better than me?" "No." "Then don't judge me." "I am not judging you." "Then what are you doing?" "Waiting." "For what?" "For you to become tired of being the man you are." Raghav stared at him. The Guru returned to feeding the dogs. For the first time in years, Raghav had no reply. He returned the next morning. He did not know why. Swami Anand was sweeping the temple courtyard. Raghav stood nearby. "Why do you come here?" the Guru asked. "I don't know." "Good." "Good?" "Not knowing is sometimes the beginning of knowing." Raghav almost laughed. "You speak in riddles." "No. You listen in anger." That silenced him. The Guru handed him the broom. "Help me." Raghav stared at it. "You want me to sweep?" "Yes." "I've never done this." "You've done worse." Raghav took the broom. For the next hour, he swept leaves. Nobody praised him. Nobody noticed. Nobody took photographs. Nobody called him important. At first, he hated it. Then something strange happened. He became peaceful. Not completely. Just for a few minutes. When he finished, Swami Anand gave him tea. "Come tomorrow." Raghav nodded. He began visiting every morning. The Guru never gave him grand speeches. Instead, he gave him small tasks. Sweep the courtyard. Feed the dogs. Carry water. Help an old man climb the steps. Listen to someone without interrupting. Say nothing when insulted. Raghav found the last one almost impossible. One morning, a man shouted at him for leaving a bucket in the wrong place. Raghav felt the familiar fire rise. His fists tightened. His mouth opened. Then he remembered the Guru. Say nothing. He walked away. That evening, Swami Anand asked: "What happened?" "Someone insulted me." "And?" "I didn't answer." "Why?" "I didn't want to become angry." The Guru smiled. "That is not enough." "Why?" "Because you still wanted to." Raghav stared at him. The Guru continued: "Suppression is not peace. If you put a lid on boiling water, it remains boiling." "Then what should I do?" "Understand the fire." "What fire?" "The wound beneath your anger." Raghav looked down. "What wound?" "That is for you to discover." Weeks passed. Raghav reduced his drinking. Then he relapsed. One night, he drank an entire bottle. The next morning, he did not go to the temple. He was ashamed. He expected the Guru to be disappointed. Instead, Swami Anand visited his house. Raghav opened the door. He looked terrible. "I failed," he said. The Guru entered. "No." "I drank." "Yes." "I promised myself I wouldn't." "And you broke your promise." "Then I failed." Swami Anand sat down. "If a child falls while learning to walk, do you call him a failure?" "No." "Then stand up." Raghav's eyes filled with tears. "I don't know how." "One day at a time." The Guru helped him seek proper medical support for his alcohol dependence and insisted that spiritual practice alone was not enough. "God can give you strength," he said, "but you must also accept help from human beings." Raghav entered a recovery program. For the first time, he admitted: I cannot control this alone. That sentence was harder for him than any prayer. Months passed. Raghav remained sober. Not perfectly. There were difficult days. There were cravings. There were nights when he wanted to disappear into a bottle. But now he had somewhere to go. Sometimes he sat beside Swami Anand without speaking. One evening, he finally asked: "Guruji, why was I so angry?" The old man looked at the river. "Because you were hurt." "By whom?" "Life." Raghav waited. The Guru continued. "You expected life to obey you. It did not. So you believed life had betrayed you." Raghav whispered: "My father." Swami Anand said nothing. "My father was angry too." Raghav looked at the river. "He shouted all the time. If I made mistakes, he beat me. If I cried, he called me weak." He swallowed. "I promised myself I'd never become him." The Guru looked at him. "And yet?" Raghav began crying. "I became him." "Yes." "I hated him." "And you carried him inside you." Raghav covered his face. The Guru placed a hand on his shoulder. "You cannot heal a wound by pretending it isn't there." The transformation did not happen overnight. It happened in small moments. Raghav apologized to his brother. His brother did not forgive him immediately. Raghav accepted that. He wrote to Meera. She did not answer for months. He continued writing—not demands, not excuses, only apologies. He wrote to Anika. He told her: You never deserved to be afraid of me. He did not ask her to come home. He did not ask her to forgive him. He simply told her the truth. One year after meeting Swami Anand, Raghav received a message. It was from Anika. Can I meet you? Raghav stared at the screen. His hands trembled. They met at a small cafĂ©. Anika was nineteen. She looked older than he remembered. Raghav stood when she entered. "Hello." "Hello, Papa." He almost cried at the word. They sat. For several minutes, neither spoke. Finally, Anika said: "Are you still drinking?" "No." "How long?" "One year." She nodded. "Are you still angry?" Raghav smiled sadly. "Sometimes." "Then what changed?" He thought of the temple. The river. The broom. The old Guru. "I learned that anger isn't strength." Anika looked at him. "What is it?" "Pain that doesn't know how to speak." She looked down. Then she reached across the table. She touched his hand. Raghav closed his eyes. It was the first time she had touched him willingly in years. Two years passed. Raghav became a volunteer at the temple. He helped people struggling with addiction. He never pretended to be a saint. When someone asked how he had changed, he said: "I didn't become a different man. I became aware of the man I had been." Swami Anand remained his guide. One morning, Raghav arrived at the temple and found the Guru sitting beside the river. The old man looked unusually tired. "Guruji?" Swami Anand smiled. "Sit." Raghav sat beside him. "I have something to tell you." "What?" "My time is almost finished." Raghav's face changed. "Don't say that." "Why?" "Because I need you." The Guru laughed softly. "That is exactly what I have been trying to teach you." "What?" "Don't depend on the teacher. Learn the teaching." Raghav shook his head. "I can't lose you." "You will." Tears filled Raghav's eyes. "Then what will I do?" The Guru pointed toward the river. "What does the river do when a stone is removed from its path?" "It keeps flowing." "Exactly." That evening, Raghav stayed with him. They watched the sunset. The Guru spoke little. Before Raghav left, Swami Anand gave him a small wooden box. "Open it when you are angry." "What is inside?" "You'll know when the time comes." Raghav smiled. "You're mysterious again." "No." The Guru smiled. "You're impatient again." They laughed. It was the last time they laughed together. The following morning, Swami Anand was gone. He had died peacefully before sunrise. Raghav stood beside his body and wept like a child. He felt abandoned. Angry. Lost. For three days, he did nothing. On the fourth morning, he remembered the wooden box. He opened it. Inside was a mirror. Nothing else. Raghav stared at his reflection. For a moment, he was confused. Then he understood. The Guru had never promised to remove his anger. He had taught Raghav to look at it. Not blame it. Not obey it. Not drown it in alcohol. Look at it. Understand it. And choose what to do next. Years later, people began calling Raghav "Guruji." He hated it. "I'm not a Guru," he would say. "I'm a student." He opened a small rehabilitation center near the river. On the wall was a simple sentence: No one is beyond transformation. He helped people who reminded him of himself. Men who shouted. Men who drank. Men who had destroyed marriages. Men who believed they were too broken to change. He never judged them. He knew too well what judgment felt like. One rainy evening, a young man came to the center. He was drunk and furious. "My life is finished," the man shouted. Raghav looked at him. "I have nothing left." Raghav smiled gently. "I know." The young man stared. "How?" "Because I once stood exactly where you are standing." "Can you fix me?" Raghav shook his head. "No." The young man looked disappointed. "But I can show you where the road begins." He handed him a cup of water. "Sit." The young man sat. Outside, rain fell against the windows. Raghav looked toward the river. He could almost hear Swami Anand's voice. You must walk back yourself. Raghav smiled. Many years later, when Raghav was an old man, Anika visited him with her own daughter. The little girl ran into his arms. "Nana!" Raghav laughed. He held her tightly. Anika watched them. Her eyes were wet. "Papa?" "Yes?" "I used to wonder if you would ever change." Raghav looked at his granddaughter. "So did I." "Are you happy now?" He thought for a moment. "I am peaceful." "Is that the same?" "No." He smiled. "It's better." That evening, Raghav walked alone to the river. The temple bell rang behind him. The sun was disappearing. He sat beneath the old tree where Swami Anand had once sat. For a moment, he felt the familiar anger rise. A memory. A disappointment. A wound from long ago. But he did not fight it. He breathed. He watched it. And then he let it pass. The river moved quietly before him. Raghav closed his eyes. "Thank you, Guruji," he whispered. The wind moved through the trees. For one brief moment, he imagined he heard a familiar voice. "I didn't save you, Raghav." "You saved yourself." Raghav smiled. And perhaps that was the greatest lesson of all. A Guru does not carry a man's burden forever. He teaches him how to carry it without being crushed. A bottle had once been Raghav's escape. Anger had once been his identity. But neither was his destiny. His destiny was the choice he made every morning after waking: To remain the man he had been, or to become the man he could still be. And every morning, he chose again. The fire inside him had not disappeared. It had changed. Once, it had burned everyone around him. Now, it became a small lamp. A light by which he could see himself. And in that light, at last, Raghav understood something he had spent half his life trying to learn: Peace does not come when the world stops hurting you. Peace comes when the hurt no longer controls what you do with your life. ChatGPT is AI and can make mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment