Friday, 25 September 2026

The Places Between Us

The Places Between The first time Lena met Noah, they were both lost. This was not unusual for either of them. Lena traveled because she liked being lost. Noah traveled because he was running away from being found. They met in a train station in northern Italy at six seventeen in the morning, beneath a departure board that insisted every train was delayed. Lena was sitting on her backpack, eating an apple. Noah was standing three feet away, staring at a map upside down. She watched him for almost a minute. Finally, she said, “You know that's upside down.” He looked at the map. Then at her. “I know.” “You've been holding it that way for ten minutes.” “I like the challenge.” She smiled. “Where are you going?” He pointed. “Somewhere north.” “That is south.” He looked at the map again. “Then somewhere south.” She laughed. He smiled. Neither knew that this would become the beginning of a journey neither had planned. Lena had been traveling alone for eight months. She had left London after her mother died. Not because she was unhappy. Because staying in the same places made everything feel like a memory. She traveled with one backpack, a battered camera, and a notebook. She photographed abandoned buildings. Empty railway stations. Forgotten villages. Things that had once been important and weren't anymore. Noah traveled with less. One backpack. Three shirts. A notebook he never showed anyone. He said he was traveling until he found somewhere worth staying. Lena thought that sounded romantic. Later, she realized it sounded lonely. They spent the morning together because their train was delayed. Then they spent lunch together because they had missed their connection. Then they walked through the city because neither wanted to admit they were enjoying the company. By sunset, Lena knew that Noah hated olives. Noah knew that Lena photographed doors. “Why doors?” he asked. “They're interesting.” “They're doors.” “Exactly.” He smiled. “What are you hoping to find behind them?” She looked at him. “I don't know yet.” They said goodbye that evening. No numbers. No promises. No social media. Just goodbye. The next morning, Lena boarded a train. Three hours later, she stepped off in a small coastal town. She walked into a bakery. And there was Noah. He was sitting by the window. She stopped. He looked up. His face changed. “No.” She laughed. “You followed me?” “I didn't.” “You're here.” “So are you.” “This is impossible.” “Statistically unlikely.” “You're stealing my line.” “I don't think you have a line.” She smiled. “Coffee?” “Absolutely.” They spent two days in that town. Then went separate ways again. This time they exchanged numbers. Neither admitted how relieved they were. The next time they met was in Prague. Neither had told the other they were going there. Lena was standing on Charles Bridge at midnight, taking photographs. Noah appeared beside her. “That's becoming creepy.” She jumped. “You!” He smiled. “Me.” “How did you—” “I could ask you the same thing.” She lowered her camera. “What are the chances?” “Low.” “Very low.” “Almost impossible.” They stared at each other. Then Lena laughed. “Where are you staying?” He shrugged. “You?” She shrugged. “Dinner?” “Definitely.” That became the first rule of their strange friendship: Whenever fate put them in the same city, they had dinner. They met in Prague. Then Budapest. Then a village in Croatia where neither could pronounce the name. They met in a museum in Vienna. At a train station in Germany. In a crowded market in Marrakech. Once, they saw each other across an airport terminal. Neither spoke. They simply smiled. Then their flights took them in opposite directions. Their lives became a map of almosts. Almost together. Almost apart. Always meeting. Never planning. By the fourth meeting, Lena realized she was falling in love. She didn't tell him. By the fifth, Noah knew he was falling in love. He didn't tell her. Their friends noticed. Their friends were not amused. “You two are idiots,” Lena's friend Sophie told her over the phone. “We're friends.” “You've crossed three countries to have dinner with a man.” “It was coincidence.” “You once flew six hours because you heard he was in Athens.” “I was already going to Greece.” “You went to Athens for four hours.” “I had things to do.” “What things?” Lena paused. “Dinner.” Sophie sighed. “You're in love with him.” Lena looked out the hotel window. “I know.” “Does he know?” “No.” “Why?” “Because I don't know if he feels the same.” Sophie laughed. “Have you ever considered asking?” “No.” “Why?” “Because then I might have an answer.” The strange meetings continued. They met in a lighthouse. On a ferry. In an underground bookstore. At a wedding neither attended. At a hospital. That last meeting changed everything. Lena had been in Istanbul when she received a message. Are you okay? She stared at it. Noah never texted first. Yes. Why? His reply came immediately. Good. She called. He didn't answer. She called again. Nothing. Then she received an address. She went. Noah was sitting in a hospital corridor. His face was pale. “What happened?” “My father.” Lena sat beside him. “Is he okay?” “No.” She took his hand. He didn't pull away. “My mother died when I was seventeen,” he whispered. “I didn't know.” “I don't talk about it.” “I know.” He looked at her. “How did you know?” “Because I know you.” His eyes filled with tears. For the first time, Lena saw how tired he was. She leaned against him. Neither spoke. They stayed there all night. In the morning, his father died. Noah didn't cry. Not until Lena held him. Then he broke. And she held him until sunrise. After the funeral, Noah stopped traveling. Lena continued. For three months, they didn't meet. Then, unexpectedly, she found him in a small bookstore in Lisbon. He was standing beside a shelf of poetry. She froze. He turned. Neither spoke. Then he smiled. “I was wondering when you'd show up.” She walked toward him. “I wasn't looking for you.” “I know.” “Why are you here?” “I don't know.” She touched his arm. “Are you okay?” “No.” She nodded. “Me neither.” They spent the night walking through Lisbon. At dawn, they sat beside the river. Noah looked at her. “Lena.” “Yes?” “I'm tired of saying goodbye.” Her heart stopped. “Then don't.” He kissed her. It was not dramatic. There were no fireworks. No music. Just the soft sound of water against the shore. But Lena would remember it for the rest of her life. For six months, they traveled together. It was the happiest time either of them had ever known. They shared hotel rooms. Missed trains. Cooked terrible meals. Got lost constantly. Lena photographed Noah sleeping. Noah complained. He secretly kept the photographs. They talked about settling somewhere. Maybe Italy. Maybe Portugal. Maybe somewhere no one knew them. One evening, on a train crossing the French countryside, Lena asked: “Do you ever think about what would happen if we hadn't met?” Noah looked at her. “I try not to.” “Why?” “Because I think I'd still be looking.” She smiled. “For me?” “For something.” She rested her head on his shoulder. “What?” He kissed her hair. “You.” Then the train stopped. Not at a station. In the middle of nowhere. The lights went out. People murmured. Outside, there was nothing but darkness. The conductor walked through the carriage. “Everyone must remain calm.” The train had struck something on the tracks. Nobody was seriously injured. But the train wouldn't move until morning. Lena and Noah sat beside each other. At midnight, she fell asleep against him. At 2:17 a.m., Noah woke. He looked out the window. There was a light in the distance. A small house. One window glowing. He woke Lena. “Look.” She stared. “There's a house.” “Why is there a house here?” “I don't know.” They left the train with a few other passengers to find help. But when they reached the house, everyone else had disappeared. Lena knocked. The door opened. Nobody was there. Inside was a kitchen. A table. Two chairs. And photographs. Hundreds of them. Lena walked closer. Her blood went cold. Every photograph showed her. Not recent photographs. Childhood photographs. Teenage photographs. Photographs she had never seen. Then she saw Noah. His photographs were there too. Dozens. Hundreds. Different ages. Different clothes. Different places. Lena turned. “Noah.” He wasn't there. She ran outside. The train was gone. The tracks were gone. The road was gone. Only the house remained. Then she heard Noah's voice behind her. “Lena.” She turned. He was standing in the doorway. But he looked different. Older. Much older. His hair was gray. His face was lined. She stumbled backward. “No.” He smiled sadly. “I know.” “What happened?” He walked toward her. “We've been here before.” “What?” “This isn't the first time.” He handed her a photograph. It showed the two of them standing outside the same house. Lena looked at the date. She laughed nervously. “This is impossible.” He handed her another. Another. Another. Another. Always them. Always traveling. Always meeting. Always falling in love. Always arriving at this house. “What is this?” “I don't know.” “You said we've been here before.” “We have.” “Why don't I remember?” “Because you always forget.” She stared at him. “And you?” He looked at the photographs. “I remember everything.” The house began to change. The walls shifted. The photographs rearranged themselves. Lena saw hundreds of versions of herself. Hundreds of versions of Noah. Different names. Different lives. Same faces. Same meetings. Same love. Same ending. “What happens at the end?” she whispered. Noah didn't answer. She found the final photograph herself. It showed them standing beside the house. Only Noah was holding a suitcase. Lena was crying. On the back: SHE LEAVES. HE WAITS. Lena looked at him. “What does that mean?” He closed his eyes. “I always wait.” “For me?” “Yes.” “And I always leave?” “Yes.” “Why?” “Because every time you remember, you choose to leave.” She stared. “I would never do that.” “You always say that.” “Then why don't you stop me?” “Because you always ask me to let you go.” Tears filled her eyes. “Why?” He looked at her. “Because if you stay, you die.” Silence. “What?” “You never make it past thirty-five when you stay.” She stared at him. “You're lying.” “I wish I were.” He showed her another photograph. Lena. Dead. Another. Dead. Another. Always thirty-four. Always thirty-five. Always beside him. Her heart began pounding. “What happens if I leave?” “You live.” “And you?” “I wait.” She looked at the photographs. All those lives. All those meetings. All those goodbyes. “You've been waiting for centuries?” “Yes.” “Why?” He smiled. “Because every life, you find me again.” She began crying. “And every life, I forget.” “Yes.” “That's cruel.” “I know.” She took his hand. “What if this time I stay?” He closed his eyes. “Then I'll finally get what I want.” “What?” “To stop waiting.” Morning came. The house disappeared. The train returned. The passengers were asleep. Lena woke in Noah's arms. For a moment, she thought it had all been a dream. Then she saw the photograph in her hand. It showed them standing outside the house. On the back: THIS TIME, REMEMBER. She looked at Noah. He was awake. “You remember?” “Yes.” “So do I.” He smiled. Neither spoke. The train began moving. Toward the future. For the first time, they didn't know what would happen. They arrived in Paris. They found an apartment. They built a life. Lena stopped traveling. Noah opened a small bookshop. They grew old together. Thirty-five came. Nothing happened. Thirty-six. Nothing. Forty. Nothing. They laughed about the strange house. They decided it had been a shared hallucination. At sixty-two, Noah died peacefully in his sleep. Lena held his hand. She cried. But she had lived. She had survived. She had stayed. Lena died eighteen years later. She left the world surrounded by books, photographs, and letters from Noah. Her final photograph was placed beside her bed. It showed the two of them at the train station where they first met. On the back she had written: We were never lost. We were always finding each other. The photograph was buried with her. And that should have been the end. But it wasn't. Because three days after her funeral, the photograph disappeared. No one knew how. No one knew why. Years later, a young woman bought an old camera at a flea market. There was a photograph inside. A photograph of two strangers. A man. A woman. Standing beside a train. She had never seen them before. Yet something about the picture made her heart ache. She turned it over. There was writing on the back. Don't worry. You'll find him. She frowned. Then she heard someone behind her. “Excuse me.” She turned. A young man stood there. He was holding a red umbrella. “Is this yours?” She looked at it. “No.” He smiled. “That's strange.” “What?” “I was sure it was.” She laughed. “I've never seen you before.” He looked at her for a long moment. Then, quietly, he said: “I know.” And somewhere far away, in a house that no longer existed, an old clock began ticking. 2:17. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. The two travelers walked away together. Neither knew where they were going. Neither needed to. Because some journeys aren't about reaching a destination. Some are about finding the same person— again, and again, and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment