Thursday, 24 September 2026
The Kiss at Platform Seven
The Kiss at Platform Seven
The Kiss at Platform Seven
The first time Aria saw Noah, he was running for a train he was never supposed to catch.
It was raining so hard that the railway station looked as though it had been submerged beneath a gray ocean.
People hurried beneath umbrellas.
Announcements echoed from the ceiling.
Suitcases rattled over wet tiles.
And on Platform Seven, a train was preparing to leave.
Aria stood beneath the station clock, clutching a small brown suitcase.
She had nineteen minutes until her train.
Nineteen minutes until she left the city.
Nineteen minutes until she stopped being the girl who had spent the last three years waiting for someone who was never coming back.
Then Noah appeared.
He came sprinting down the stairs.
He slipped.
Caught himself.
Nearly collided with an old man.
Apologized without stopping.
And jumped onto the train just as the doors began to close.
Aria watched, amused.
The doors shut.
The train began moving.
Then, through the window, Noah looked directly at her.
Their eyes met.
For one strange second, the entire station disappeared.
Then the train was gone.
Aria looked at the clock.
18 minutes.
She smiled.
She had no idea that the stranger on the train was about to change her life.
________________________________________
Noah got off at the next station.
Aria saw him again exactly seventeen minutes later.
He was standing on the opposite platform.
She stared.
He stared back.
Then he laughed.
“You followed me.”
“I was here first.”
“That sounds suspicious.”
“You're the one who jumped onto a moving train.”
“It wasn't moving.”
“It was absolutely moving.”
He grinned.
“I'm Noah.”
“Aria.”
He looked at her suitcase.
“Where are you going?”
“Away.”
“That's vague.”
“It's supposed to be.”
He nodded.
“Fair enough.”
The station announcement crackled.
Aria's train was delayed.
She sighed.
Noah looked at the departure board.
“Looks like you have time.”
“For what?”
He pointed toward the station café.
“Coffee.”
“I don't drink coffee.”
“Tea?”
“I don't trust strangers who run onto trains.”
“Then I'm out of options.”
She laughed.
He smiled.
That was the beginning.
________________________________________
They spent the next hour talking.
Not about important things.
Not yet.
They talked about terrible movies.
Bad food.
The strangest jobs they'd ever had.
Noah claimed he could play six instruments.
Aria asked him to prove it.
He admitted he could play one.
Barely.
She told him she wanted to become a photographer.
He asked why.
“Because photographs make moments stay.”
He looked at her.
“Do you want everything to stay?”
“No.”
“Then why photographs?”
“Because sometimes you need proof that something happened.”
Noah's smile disappeared.
“Maybe.”
Her train was announced.
Aria stood.
“I should go.”
He looked suddenly disappointed.
“Right.”
She picked up her suitcase.
“Goodbye, Noah.”
“Wait.”
He pulled a pen from his pocket.
“Give me your hand.”
“What?”
“Your hand.”
She hesitated.
Then held it out.
He wrote a phone number across her palm.
“If you ever want coffee.”
She looked at the number.
“And if I don't?”
“Then wash your hand.”
She laughed.
“Goodbye.”
“Goodbye, Aria.”
She boarded the train.
He watched until it disappeared.
________________________________________
She called him that night.
She told herself it was because she wanted coffee.
He knew better.
They talked for three hours.
The next night, four.
Within a month, they were inseparable.
Noah took her to places she had never noticed in her own city.
An abandoned cinema.
A rooftop garden.
A tiny bookstore hidden beneath a railway bridge.
Aria photographed everything.
Noah photographed her.
“You're terrible at taking pictures,” she told him.
“I only take pictures of beautiful things.”
“That's why you're terrible.”
He laughed.
One evening, they climbed onto the roof of a parking garage.
The city glittered beneath them.
Aria sat beside him.
“What's your biggest fear?”
Noah looked at her.
“Losing someone.”
“That's very specific.”
“What's yours?”
“Being forgotten.”
He frowned.
“You're impossible to forget.”
“You don't know that.”
“I do.”
“How?”
He leaned closer.
“Because I already tried.”
Her heart skipped.
“What happened?”
“I failed.”
She smiled.
Their faces were inches apart.
For a second, Aria thought he would kiss her.
He didn't.
Instead, he whispered:
“Not yet.”
“Not yet?”
“You'll understand.”
She didn't.
________________________________________
Three months later, Aria received a letter.
There was no return address.
Inside was a photograph.
It showed Noah standing outside a hospital.
On the back, someone had written:
Ask him what happened on March 14.
Aria stared at the date.
March 14.
Tomorrow.
She confronted Noah that night.
“What happened on March 14?”
He froze.
“Who told you?”
“That's not an answer.”
He looked away.
“Aria…”
“What happened?”
He sat down.
“My brother died.”
She felt her anger disappear.
“Oh.”
“He was nineteen.”
“What happened?”
“Car accident.”
“I'm sorry.”
Noah nodded.
“Every year, I visit the hospital.”
“Why?”
He didn't answer.
Instead, he asked:
“Do you trust me?”
She wanted to say yes.
But she remembered the photograph.
“I don't know.”
He looked hurt.
“That's fair.”
________________________________________
The next morning, Noah disappeared.
His phone was off.
His apartment was empty.
Aria called everyone she knew.
Nothing.
At noon, she received another photograph.
This one showed Noah beside a woman.
The woman was young.
Beautiful.
Smiling.
On the back:
She died because of him.
Aria's hands went cold.
She searched the woman's face.
Something about her looked familiar.
Then she remembered.
The woman was Noah's sister.
She had seen her once in an old photograph.
But the message was impossible.
Noah had said he had only one sibling.
His brother.
Aria went to Noah's apartment.
The landlord let her inside.
In a drawer, she found a newspaper clipping.
FAMILY OF THREE KILLED IN HIGHWAY COLLISION.
The photograph showed Noah.
His mother.
His father.
His brother.
Four people.
Aria stared.
Where was the woman?
She searched deeper.
Behind a loose panel in the wall, she found dozens of photographs.
The same woman.
At different ages.
With Noah.
Laughing.
Holding hands.
Then one photograph stopped her.
It showed Noah and the woman standing in front of the railway station.
On the back:
Our last summer.
Aria's heart began racing.
There was a name.
Elena.
She searched online.
Elena Vale.
Noah's sister.
Died twelve years ago.
Aria sat on the floor.
Noah had lied.
But why?
________________________________________
She found him at the old cinema.
He was sitting alone in the back row.
“You lied to me.”
He didn't turn.
“I know.”
“Who was Elena?”
“My sister.”
“You said your brother died.”
“He did.”
“So did she?”
Noah looked at her.
“My brother died first.”
Aria stared.
“What?”
“He survived the accident.”
“Then why did you say—”
“He died three days later.”
Noah looked down.
“Elena died at the scene.”
Aria sat beside him.
“What happened?”
Noah's voice shook.
“I was driving.”
Silence.
“I was seventeen. My brother was beside me. Elena was in the back seat. My parents were in the front.”
He closed his eyes.
“A truck crossed the median.”
Aria reached for his hand.
He pulled away.
“I survived.”
“You were seventeen.”
“I was driving.”
“It wasn't your fault.”
“You don't know that.”
“I know accidents happen.”
He shook his head.
“You weren't there.”
“No.”
“I was.”
He stood.
“I watched them die.”
Aria followed him.
“Why didn't you tell me?”
“Because I didn't want you to know me as the boy who killed his family.”
“You didn't.”
“I did.”
“Noah.”
He turned.
“I loved them.”
“I know.”
“I should have died too.”
Aria's heart broke.
“You don't get to decide that.”
He stared at her.
Then she stepped closer.
“You don't get to punish yourself forever.”
His eyes filled with tears.
“I don't know how to stop.”
She reached up.
Touched his face.
“Start here.”
Then she kissed him.
Their first kiss was soft.
Almost frightened.
As though both of them were afraid that moving too quickly would break the moment.
When they separated, Noah whispered:
“I've wanted to do that since the station.”
“I know.”
“How?”
“You're terrible at hiding things.”
He smiled.
For the first time, he looked free.
________________________________________
For six months, they were happy.
Not perfectly.
But honestly.
Noah told her everything.
The nightmares.
The guilt.
The memories.
Aria told him about her own past.
Her father had left when she was young.
Her mother had died two years earlier.
She had spent years pretending she didn't care.
They understood each other's wounds.
They became each other's safe place.
Then Noah proposed.
Not with a ring.
Not with flowers.
He took her to Platform Seven.
The same station where they had met.
He stood beneath the old clock.
“Aria.”
She smiled.
“Yes?”
“I don't have a ring.”
“I don't care.”
“I don't have a speech.”
“You definitely don't.”
“I don't know what happens next.”
“Neither do I.”
He took her hand.
“But I know I want it to happen with you.”
She began crying.
“Noah…”
He pulled out the same pen he had used months earlier.
He wrote on her palm.
Not a phone number.
Two words.
Stay. Please.
She looked at him.
Then kissed him.
“Yes.”
________________________________________
Their wedding was planned for the following spring.
Aria bought a white dress.
Noah rented a tiny apartment near the sea.
They planned to travel.
They planned to have children.
They planned everything.
Then, three weeks before the wedding, Noah received a phone call.
He answered.
His face changed.
“What?”
Aria watched him.
“No.”
He listened.
Then:
“I'll be there.”
He hung up.
“What happened?”
He looked at her.
“My brother is alive.”
The room went silent.
Aria laughed nervously.
“That's impossible.”
“I know.”
“The doctors said—”
“I know.”
He sat down.
“They found him.”
“Where?”
“Another hospital.”
“How?”
“They identified him through old records.”
Aria stared.
“What does he want?”
Noah looked at her.
“He wants me to come.”
“Then go.”
“I don't know if I can.”
“You have to.”
He nodded.
“I'll be back tomorrow.”
He kissed her forehead.
Then he left.
He never came back.
________________________________________
Two days passed.
Then three.
Then four.
Aria called the hospital.
They said no one named Noah Vale had been admitted.
She called the number Noah had given her.
Disconnected.
She went to his apartment.
Empty.
Everything was gone.
His clothes.
His photographs.
His books.
Even the little wooden chair he hated.
Aria collapsed onto the floor.
She couldn't breathe.
Then someone knocked.
It was an elderly man.
He handed her an envelope.
“Noah asked me to give you this.”
She opened it.
Inside was a letter.
Aria,
If you're reading this, I'm already gone.
Her vision blurred.
She continued.
My brother isn't alive. I knew that. You need to understand why I lied.
There is a truth about the accident I never told you.
She stopped.
Her hands shook.
I wasn't driving.
Aria stared at the page.
My father was.
She read faster.
He had been drinking. He lost control. I took the blame because my brother was still alive, and my father made me promise never to tell anyone. He said the family would be destroyed.
After the accident, my father died. My mother survived for three days. My brother survived for three days too. Elena died immediately.
I carried the guilt because I thought I deserved it.
Aria cried.
But there is another reason I disappeared.
Her hands trembled.
My brother left behind a daughter.
Aria stopped.
A child.
She's eleven. Her mother died last year. My brother had hidden her existence from everyone. She has no one.
I couldn't leave her.
I am going to find her.
I don't know how long it will take.
I don't know if I'll come back.
But I need you to understand something.
I love you.
And for the first time in my life, I refuse to let someone I love believe that I abandoned them.
The letter ended.
Stay. Please.
________________________________________
Aria waited.
One month.
Then two.
Then six.
Noah never returned.
She continued with her life.
She became a photographer.
She traveled.
She exhibited her photographs.
She photographed weddings.
Cities.
Strangers.
Children.
Oceans.
Every photograph was an attempt to capture something before it disappeared.
She never married.
People asked why.
She never knew how to answer.
Years passed.
One autumn afternoon, she received a package.
Inside was a photograph.
It showed a little girl standing on a beach.
Beside her stood Noah.
Older.
Tired.
Smiling.
Alive.
On the back was a message.
He told me about you.
The handwriting wasn't Noah's.
The little girl's.
He says you taught him how to live.
Aria cried.
Then she found another photograph.
Noah had taken it.
It showed Platform Seven.
The old station clock.
And beneath it, two people holding hands.
Aria recognized them.
Herself.
Noah.
The picture must have been taken years earlier.
On the back were four words.
I never forgot you.
________________________________________
Ten years later, Aria returned to Platform Seven.
The station had changed.
New signs.
New trains.
New shops.
But the clock remained.
She stood beneath it.
Older now.
Her hair shorter.
Her face different.
But she still carried the same brown suitcase.
She had brought the photographs.
She looked at the clock.
Then someone spoke behind her.
“Still don't trust strangers?”
Aria froze.
She turned.
Noah stood there.
Older.
Gray at his temples.
A scar across his eyebrow.
But his eyes were the same.
She couldn't speak.
He smiled.
“Hi, Aria.”
She dropped the suitcase.
For several seconds, neither moved.
Then she walked toward him.
Stopped inches away.
“You disappeared.”
“I know.”
“You broke my heart.”
“I know.”
“I hated you.”
“I know.”
“You took ten years.”
“I know.”
She punched his shoulder.
He laughed.
Then she began crying.
He reached for her.
She stepped into his arms.
They held each other beneath the station clock.
“I thought you were dead.”
“I almost was.”
“What happened?”
“I found my niece.”
“Is she okay?”
“She is.”
“Where is she?”
“Waiting outside.”
Aria looked toward the station entrance.
A young woman stood there.
Seventeen years old.
She smiled.
“That's Elena.”
Aria looked at Noah.
He nodded.
“She wanted to meet you.”
Aria wiped her tears.
Then she laughed.
“You really are terrible at goodbyes.”
“I've had practice.”
She looked at him.
“Do you remember our first kiss?”
He smiled.
“Every day.”
Aria stepped closer.
“So do I.”
Then she kissed him.
It wasn't their first kiss.
It wasn't their last.
It was the kiss of two people who had spent ten years believing their story was over.
When they separated, Noah rested his forehead against hers.
“I still have the pen.”
Aria laughed.
“The one you used to write on my hand?”
He reached into his pocket.
“It's right here.”
She took it.
“What should I write?”
He smiled.
“Something different this time.”
She thought for a moment.
Then took his hand.
And wrote one word.
Home.
Outside, a train arrived.
Passengers stepped onto the platform.
Doors opened.
Doors closed.
People left.
People arrived.
The station clock continued ticking.
And beneath it, after all the lies, all the losses, all the years they had spent apart, Aria and Noah finally stood together.
Not because fate had been kind.
Not because their story had been easy.
But because, somehow, against every reason they had to give up, they had found their way back to each other.
And this time, neither of them let go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment