Tuesday, 8 September 2026

The House Next Door

Every evening at seven, Meera Sharma stood at the front window and watched the road. She always knew the sound of her husband's car. Even after eleven years of marriage, she could recognize the engine before she saw the headlights. But most evenings, the car did not come. Arjun was away again. Business trips had become a permanent feature of their marriage. Singapore. Dubai. London. Mumbai. Bangalore. Sometimes he was gone for three days. Sometimes two weeks. Once, he had been away for nearly two months. He always had an explanation. "Important client." "Board meeting." "Expansion." "Investor dinner." "Flight delayed." Meera had stopped asking questions. She had learned that there were two kinds of loneliness. The first was being alone. The second was being married to someone who was never there. The second was worse. Their house was beautiful. Too beautiful, perhaps. It had polished floors, large windows, a garden, and a guest room that remained untouched for years. There was a dining table for six. Meera usually ate at one end. Arjun's chair remained empty. At first, she had waited for him. Later, she stopped waiting. Then she met Kabir. He lived next door. Kabir moved into the neighboring house on a warm September morning. He was thirty-eight, perhaps five years younger than Arjun. He lived alone. He worked from home as an architect and spent much of his time in the garden. The first time Meera spoke to him, he was struggling with a cardboard box. "Need help?" she asked. He looked up. "Only if you're willing to risk your back." She laughed. "Then no." "Fair enough." He smiled. "I'm Kabir." "Meera." "I know." She raised an eyebrow. "How?" "The newspaper delivery boy called you by name yesterday." "Oh." "Don't worry. I'm not secretly studying you." She smiled. "That's exactly what a secret student would say." Kabir laughed. It was an ordinary conversation. Nothing happened. Not then. But something had changed. For the first time in a long while, someone had made Meera laugh. Kabir's presence slowly became part of her routine. They exchanged greetings over the garden wall. Then coffee. Then conversations. He noticed things Arjun never noticed. "You're cutting your hair?" "Yes." "It suits you." Arjun had not noticed. He noticed when bills were unpaid. He noticed when the car needed servicing. He noticed when his shirts were missing from the laundry. He noticed everything that required management. But he rarely noticed Meera. Kabir did. One evening, Meera sat outside reading. Kabir was watering his plants. "Do you like that book?" he asked. "It's wonderful." "What is it about?" "A woman who feels invisible." Kabir turned off the hose. "That sounds depressing." "It is." "Then why are you smiling?" Meera looked at him. She did not know. The first time Arjun came home after three weeks away, Meera had prepared his favorite dinner. He arrived at ten. She was waiting. "You're late." "Flight was delayed." "You didn't call." "I was busy." He kissed her forehead. Then he opened his suitcase. "Where's my blue shirt?" "In the laundry." "Why wasn't it ironed?" Meera stared at him. "Welcome home." Arjun looked at her. "What?" "Nothing." He went upstairs. Meera sat alone at the dining table. Her food had gone cold. She looked through the window. Kabir's house was dark. For some reason, she wished his light were on. The affair began with a lie so small that Meera barely noticed it. Arjun left again. Meera told him she was going to visit a friend. She didn't. She went to Kabir's house. They talked for hours. About books. About childhood. About dreams. About loneliness. When Kabir touched her hand, Meera did not pull away. She knew it was wrong. That knowledge did not stop her. Their first kiss happened in the kitchen. It lasted only a few seconds. Afterward, Meera stepped back. "We shouldn't." Kabir nodded. "I know." She expected him to argue. He didn't. That made it worse. She kissed him again. For several months, their relationship remained hidden. They met when Arjun traveled. They exchanged messages late at night. They learned each other's habits. Kabir knew Meera liked jasmine tea. Meera knew Kabir hated loud music. He knew she was afraid of thunderstorms. She knew he couldn't sleep without reading. They became a secret world. A world where Meera felt alive. But secrets have weight. Eventually, the weight began to change her. She became nervous whenever Arjun came home. She started hiding her phone. She deleted messages. She learned to lie smoothly. And every lie made the next one easier. One evening, Arjun asked: "Do you know Kabir well?" Meera's heart stopped. "Why?" "He seems friendly." "He's our neighbor." "Have you been spending time with him?" She looked directly at her husband. "No." It was the first time she had lied to him while looking directly into his eyes. Arjun smiled. "Good." Then he went upstairs. Meera remained in the kitchen. She suddenly felt sick. Then something strange happened. Arjun began coming home unexpectedly. A day early. A week early. Once, he returned at midnight without warning. Each time, Meera panicked. But Arjun never seemed suspicious. In fact, he became strangely affectionate. He bought her flowers. He took her to expensive restaurants. He began calling during the day. He said: "I miss you." Meera felt guilty. The guilt was almost unbearable. She wondered if Arjun knew. Perhaps he had discovered everything and was waiting. Perhaps he was pretending. One night, she asked: "Do you trust me?" Arjun looked at her for a long time. "Of course." The answer frightened her more than suspicion would have. One rainy afternoon, Meera received a message from Kabir. We need to talk. Tonight. She replied: About what? No answer. At eight, she went next door. Kabir was standing by the window. He looked troubled. "What happened?" He handed her an envelope. "What is this?" "Open it." Inside was a photograph. Meera stared at it. It showed Arjun. He was standing outside a hotel. Beside him was a woman. Meera recognized her. She was Arjun's business partner, Nisha. The photograph appeared intimate. Meera felt the floor disappear beneath her. "Where did you get this?" Kabir said nothing. She looked at him. "Is he having an affair?" "I don't know." "Then why show me?" "Because you deserve to know." Meera looked again. Suddenly everything made sense. The business trips. The strange calls. The unexplained absences. The late nights. The flowers. The unexpected returns. Her stomach twisted. "How long?" Kabir shook his head. "I don't know." Meera began crying. Kabir put his arms around her. For once, she did not think about right or wrong. She simply allowed herself to be held. That night, she confronted Arjun. He was sitting in the living room. She placed the photograph on the table. "What is this?" Arjun looked at it. His expression did not change. "Where did you get it?" "Answer me." He sighed. "She's a colleague." "You're lying." "No." "You're having an affair." Arjun stood. "Meera—" "How long?" He looked at her. Then something unexpected happened. He smiled. Not warmly. Sadly. "You really want the truth?" "Yes." "All right." He sat down. "I have known for six months." Meera froze. "Known what?" "About you and Kabir." The room became silent. Meera could not breathe. Arjun continued. "I know about the messages. I know about the visits. I know about the nights you've spent next door." She stared at him. "How?" "I hired someone to follow you." Meera's face burned with shame. "Then why didn't you say anything?" Arjun looked exhausted. "Because I was waiting." "For what?" "For you to tell me yourself." Meera began crying. "I'm sorry." Arjun looked away. "Are you?" "Yes." "Are you sorry because you betrayed me, or because I found out?" She had no answer. Arjun stood. "You want to know something funny?" "What?" "The photograph of me and Nisha?" Meera looked at him. "It's real." Her heart sank. "So you were cheating." "No." "What?" "Nisha was my investigator." Meera stared at him. "Your what?" "I suspected someone was stealing money from the company." He pointed to the photograph. "That hotel meeting was about the investigation." Meera's mind raced. "You expect me to believe that?" "You don't have to." He walked toward the door. "But there is something else." "What?" Arjun turned. "I haven't been traveling for business." Meera felt cold. "Then where?" He looked at her. "To a hospital." The next morning, Arjun took Meera to a private clinic. They walked down a quiet corridor. A doctor greeted them. "Mrs. Sharma?" Meera nodded. The doctor looked at Arjun. "She doesn't know?" "Not yet." Meera stared at them. "Know what?" The doctor took a breath. "Your husband has been undergoing treatment for a serious heart condition." Meera looked at Arjun. "What?" "He was diagnosed nearly a year ago." Her knees weakened. "You've been sick?" Arjun nodded. "Why didn't you tell me?" "Because I was afraid." "Afraid of what?" "That you'd stay because you felt sorry for me." Meera began crying. "Arjun..." He looked at her. "I didn't want to become your responsibility." "But I was your wife." "I know." His voice cracked. "That's why I couldn't tell you." The doctor left them alone. Meera sat beside him. "Why did you keep traveling?" "Treatment." "All those business trips?" "Most of them." She looked at him. "And Nisha?" "She knew. She helped me manage the company while I was receiving treatment." Meera covered her face. The guilt returned. But this time it was unbearable. Then Arjun said something that changed everything. "There is one more thing." Meera looked up. "What?" "I didn't discover your affair by accident." She frowned. "What do you mean?" "I knew about Kabir before you did." "What?" "I chose that house because of him." Meera stared at her husband. "What are you saying?" Arjun looked toward the window. "Do you remember the first time I introduced you to this neighborhood?" "Yes." "I told you I had found the house." "Yes." "I didn't." He paused. "Kabir did." Meera's blood ran cold. "Why?" "Because Kabir is my brother." She stared at him. "No." "Half-brother." "That's impossible." "He changed his surname years ago." Meera shook her head. "Why would you put him next door?" Arjun looked at her. "Because I needed someone to look after you." She stared at him. "And you thought your brother would do that?" "I thought he'd be around if something happened to me." Meera could barely speak. "But he..." She stopped. Arjun looked at her. "Yes." Meera ran next door. Kabir opened the door. She slapped him. He did not defend himself. "You knew!" His eyes filled with tears. "Yes." "You're Arjun's brother." "Yes." "You knew he was sick." "Yes." "And you still..." Kabir looked away. "I fell in love with you." "You lied to me." "I know." "You betrayed your brother." "I know." "Why?" Kabir's voice broke. "Because for the first time in my life, someone looked at me and didn't see his shadow." Meera stared at him. "What?" Kabir sat down. "Arjun was always the successful one. The responsible one. The brilliant one. I was the failure." He laughed bitterly. "When our father died, Arjun gave me money. He helped me start my career. He even bought this house." Meera was stunned. "He bought this house?" Kabir nodded. "He wanted me nearby because he knew his health was getting worse." "Then why did you become involved with me?" "I don't know." "That's not an answer." Kabir looked at her. "I loved you." "And what did Arjun ask you to do?" Kabir's face changed. "He asked me to watch over you." "That's all?" "Yes." "Did he know about us?" Kabir was silent. Meera understood. "He knew." Kabir nodded. "From the beginning?" "Not from the beginning." "Then when?" "After the first month." Meera closed her eyes. She suddenly remembered every strange look Arjun had given her. Every unexpected return. Every question. Every time he had said he trusted her. It had not been ignorance. It had been knowledge. He had known. And he had remained silent. Meera returned home. Arjun was sitting by the window. She stood before him. "Why?" He looked at her. "Why did you let this happen?" Arjun's eyes filled with tears. "Because I was dying." "You could have told me." "I know." "You could have fought for our marriage." "I know." "You could have been here." "I know." "Then why didn't you?" Arjun looked down. "Because I thought giving you freedom was the only way I could love you." Meera shook her head. "That isn't love." "No." He looked at her. "It's fear." For a long time, neither spoke. Then Meera asked: "How long do you have?" Arjun smiled sadly. "The doctors don't know." "Months?" "Maybe." "Years?" "Maybe not." Meera sat beside him. She took his hand. "I don't know if I can forgive you." "I don't expect you to." "I don't know if I can forgive myself." "You shouldn't have to do it today." She looked at him. "What happens now?" Arjun squeezed her hand. "Now we tell the truth." The truth was ugly. There was no simple forgiveness. Meera ended her relationship with Kabir. Kabir left the city. Arjun stopped traveling. For the first time in eleven years, the family ate dinner together. Some evenings were silent. Some ended in arguments. Some ended in tears. But they were together. Meera learned that love was not always romantic. Sometimes it was sitting beside someone during chemotherapy. Sometimes it was holding a hand at three in the morning. Sometimes it was saying, "I'm still angry with you," and staying anyway. Arjun learned that protecting someone by hiding the truth was not protection. It was another kind of betrayal. And Meera learned something about herself. Her affair had not begun because Kabir was extraordinary. It had begun because she was lonely. But loneliness did not excuse betrayal. Understanding the reason did not erase the consequences. Months passed. Arjun's condition worsened. One evening, he asked Meera to sit beside him in the garden. The same garden where she had once waited for his car. "Do you regret marrying me?" he asked. Meera thought for a long time. "I regret the years we wasted." "So do I." "Do you regret me?" He smiled. "Never." She took his hand. The sky turned orange. "I wish you'd told me." "I was afraid." "I know." He looked at her. "Do you still love me?" Meera's eyes filled with tears. "Yes." It was not the same love as before. It was wounded. Complicated. Older. But it was real. Arjun leaned back. "That's enough." Arjun died six weeks later. Meera was beside him. There was no dramatic final speech. No miracle. No sudden recovery. Just silence. When he took his last breath, Meera held his hand. She cried until morning. At the funeral, Kabir returned. He stood at the back. Meera saw him. Their eyes met. Neither approached the other. After everyone left, Kabir came to her. "I'm sorry." Meera nodded. "So am I." He looked toward Arjun's grave. "He saved me once." "What do you mean?" Kabir swallowed. "Years ago, I was in serious trouble. Arjun paid my debts. He gave me this house. He helped me start again." Meera looked at him. "Why didn't you tell me?" "Because I was ashamed." She looked at the grave. "Everyone was hiding something." Kabir nodded. "Yes." Meera turned away. "Goodbye, Kabir." He understood. "Goodbye." He left. A year later, Meera sold the house. Before leaving, she walked through every room. The dining table. The empty guest room. The bedroom. The garden. The window where she had waited for Arjun. She found an envelope inside the drawer of his desk. Her name was written on it. She opened it. Inside was a letter. Meera, If you are reading this, I'm probably gone. There is something I never told you. When I first met Kabir again after all those years, I asked him to move next door. But I did not do it only because I was sick. I did it because I knew you were lonely. I had spent years believing that providing for you was the same as loving you. It wasn't. I thought money could replace time. It can't. I thought a beautiful house could replace a husband. It can't. And when I discovered your relationship with Kabir, I was angry. But then I realized something terrible. I had left an empty space in our marriage and expected you never to notice the emptiness. That does not excuse what happened. But perhaps it explains it. I don't know whether you will forgive me. I don't know whether you will forgive yourself. But please don't spend the rest of your life punishing yourself for being human. Live. That's the only thing I want from you now. And if you ever fall in love again, don't choose someone who merely needs you. Choose someone who is willing to be there. Always. Arjun. Meera read the letter twice. Then she cried. Not because Arjun had forgiven her. But because he had finally understood her. Five years later, Meera lived in a small house near the sea. She had remarried. Her new husband was not wealthy. He did not travel constantly. He did not send expensive gifts. He sometimes forgot things. Sometimes they argued. Sometimes they disappointed each other. But he was there. Every evening, they ate dinner together. One night, he asked: "Are you happy?" Meera looked through the window. She thought of Arjun. She thought of Kabir. She thought of the woman she had once been. "I am learning." Her husband smiled. "That's not an answer." Meera smiled back. "It is the only honest one I have." Outside, the sun disappeared beneath the horizon. And somewhere far away, the house next door stood empty. Its windows were dark. Its garden had become overgrown. The place where a secret affair had begun had long since been forgotten. But Meera had never forgotten the lesson. Loneliness could make a person vulnerable. Secrets could become prisons. And love, when mixed with fear, guilt, and silence, could become almost impossible to recognize. The greatest tragedy was not that Meera had loved the wrong man. It was that three people had spent years loving one another badly because none of them had been brave enough to tell the truth. And the greatest twist of all was this: The man Meera thought had abandoned her had secretly spent his final year trying to make sure she would never be alone. He had failed. But perhaps, in the end, he had taught her what he had spent a lifetime failing to understand. Being present is the simplest form of love. ChatGPT is AI and can make mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment