Friday, 25 September 2026
The Day the Rain Fell Up
The Day the Rain Fell Up
Maya Rao believed that everything in life could be explained.
Gravity.
Heartbreak.
Bad decisions.
Even love.
Especially love.
She was a physicist, after all.
She spent her days working with equations that described things no one could see and her evenings arguing with people who insisted that certain things were simply “meant to be.”
Nothing was meant to be.
Everything had a cause.
That was Maya's philosophy.
Then she met Julian.
Julian believed in everything she didn't.
Fate.
Ghosts.
Lucky numbers.
Second chances.
He collected old watches because he believed they remembered the people who had owned them.
He kept dried flowers between the pages of books.
He talked to stray cats.
He once told Maya that the moon looked lonely.
She had replied:
“The moon is 384,400 kilometers away. It doesn't have feelings.”
He had smiled.
“You're adorable when you're wrong.”
She had hated him immediately.
Which was unfortunate.
Because three months later, she would fall in love with him.
And six months after that, she would discover something so impossible that it would make her question everything she had ever believed.
They met at the Bellweather Observatory.
Maya had been hired to investigate a strange signal detected by one of the observatory's radio telescopes.
The signal had appeared every night at exactly 2:17 a.m.
It wasn't a natural phenomenon.
It wasn't a satellite.
It wasn't interference.
Someone—or something—was sending it.
Maya loved mysteries that could eventually become equations.
Julian was there because the observatory was hosting an exhibition of historical astronomical instruments.
He was a historian.
And, according to Maya, completely unnecessary.
“You're standing in front of the equipment,” she told him.
He looked behind himself.
“Oh.”
“Move.”
He moved.
She continued working.
Thirty seconds later, he asked:
“What are you looking for?”
“A signal.”
“What kind?”
“A repeating electromagnetic transmission.”
“From aliens?”
“No.”
“You answered very quickly.”
“Because there's no evidence.”
“You haven't found the aliens yet.”
“I haven't found anything.”
“That's different.”
Maya looked at him.
He was smiling.
She disliked his smile.
It was too relaxed.
Too confident.
Too warm.
“What do you do?” she asked.
“History.”
“So you study things that already happened.”
“Yes.”
“I study things that haven't happened yet.”
“Then we're opposites.”
“Apparently.”
He offered his hand.
“Julian.”
She stared at it.
Then shook it.
“Maya.”
His hand was warm.
She noticed.
She hated that she noticed.
Over the next few weeks, Julian became a permanent irritation.
He appeared everywhere.
The café.
The archive.
The observatory.
The laboratory.
He brought coffee.
She didn't drink coffee.
He brought tea.
She hated tea.
He eventually learned she liked hot chocolate.
He never mentioned how he found out.
He simply left a cup beside her computer one night.
She looked at it.
“Why?”
“You looked tired.”
“I always look tired.”
“Exactly.”
She took the cup.
“Thank you.”
“You're welcome.”
He walked away.
Maya watched him go.
Her colleague Priya noticed.
“You like him.”
“I don't.”
“You're smiling.”
“I am not.”
“You are.”
Maya touched her face.
She was smiling.
She stopped.
Julian's theories about the signal were ridiculous.
“It sounds like a message,” he said.
“Everything sounds like a message if you're determined enough.”
“Maybe it's from the future.”
“That's impossible.”
“Why?”
“Because information cannot travel backward through time.”
“What if time isn't what we think it is?”
Maya sighed.
“That's not science.”
“Neither was flight once.”
“That doesn't make every impossible idea possible.”
He leaned closer.
“Do you ever wonder if you're wrong?”
“All the time.”
That surprised him.
She continued:
“That's why I do experiments.”
Julian smiled.
“I like you.”
Maya looked up.
“What?”
“I said I like your theory.”
“No, you didn't.”
He laughed.
“Fine.”
She looked away.
Her heart was beating too fast.
The first time they kissed, it was accidental.
There had been a storm.
The observatory lost power.
The emergency lights flickered red.
Julian found Maya in the telescope room.
“You okay?”
“Yes.”
“Liar.”
“I'm fine.”
Lightning flashed outside.
She jumped.
He smiled.
“You're afraid of storms?”
“No.”
“You jumped.”
“I was startled.”
“By thunder?”
“Yes.”
“That's adorable.”
“Don't.”
He stepped closer.
“Don't what?”
“Look at me like that.”
“Like what?”
“Like…”
She stopped.
He was very close.
“What?”
She didn't answer.
He kissed her.
She kissed him back.
For several seconds, neither moved.
Then Maya pulled away.
“This is a terrible idea.”
“Probably.”
“You're impossible.”
“I know.”
She smiled.
“So am I.”
They began dating.
Neither of them announced it.
They simply became inseparable.
Julian taught Maya to dance.
Maya taught Julian how to read scientific papers.
He took her to museums.
She took him stargazing.
He believed the stars were beautiful.
She explained their chemical compositions.
He complained.
She laughed.
They were different in almost every way.
And somehow, it worked.
One night, lying on the observatory roof, Julian asked:
“Do you believe in fate now?”
“No.”
“Not even a little?”
“No.”
“Then how do you explain us?”
“Probability.”
He laughed.
“That's incredibly romantic.”
“I'm a romantic.”
“You once told me love was a neurological response.”
“It is.”
“And you said relationships are statistically irrational.”
“They are.”
“And yet you're holding my hand.”
She looked down.
She was.
“I've decided to accept the statistical anomaly.”
He kissed her forehead.
“I'll take it.”
Then the signal changed.
For three months, it had repeated every night.
At 2:17.
Always the same sequence.
Until one night, it stopped.
Maya checked the equipment.
Nothing.
She checked the data.
Nothing.
Then, at 2:17 exactly, every telescope in the observatory moved simultaneously.
The dishes turned toward the sky.
The computers switched on.
Every screen displayed the same message.
MAYA RAO
Julian stood beside her.
“What does that mean?”
“I don't know.”
Another line appeared.
JULIAN VALE
Maya's blood ran cold.
Then:
YOU HAVE SEVEN DAYS.
The screens went black.
They spent the next day trying to prove it was a hack.
It wasn't.
There was no external connection.
No trace.
No explanation.
The signal returned the following night.
DAY SIX.
Maya stopped sleeping.
Julian tried to remain calm.
“Maybe it's a prank.”
“Who knows our names?”
“Someone who knows us.”
“Who?”
He didn't answer.
The next night:
DAY FIVE.
The night after:
DAY FOUR.
Then:
DAY THREE.
On the third night, another message appeared.
ONE OF YOU WILL REMEMBER.
Maya stared at it.
“Remember what?”
Julian whispered:
“Us.”
She turned.
“What?”
He looked pale.
“I don't know.”
On the second night, Julian disappeared.
Maya searched everywhere.
His apartment.
The observatory.
The city.
Nothing.
At 2:17, the screens turned on.
DAY TWO.
Then:
HE HAS ALREADY FORGOTTEN.
Maya's hands shook.
The next message appeared.
YOU MUST FIND HIM BEFORE MIDNIGHT.
She ran.
She found Julian at the railway station.
He was sitting on a bench.
Alone.
Maya rushed toward him.
“Julian!”
He looked up.
He smiled politely.
“Hi.”
She stopped.
Something was wrong.
“Do you know me?”
He frowned.
“I don't think so.”
Her heart broke.
“It's me.”
“I'm sorry.”
“Julian.”
He stood.
“You know my name?”
“You're the man I love.”
He stared at her.
Then laughed nervously.
“I think you're mistaken.”
She grabbed his hand.
He pulled away.
“Don't.”
She began crying.
“Please.”
“I don't know you.”
The station clock changed.
11:59.
Maya looked at the clock.
Then at him.
One minute.
She stepped closer.
“You love me.”
“No.”
“You do.”
“I don't.”
“You taught me to dance.”
He shook his head.
“You hate dancing.”
“I do.”
“You hate coffee.”
“Yes.”
“You believe ghosts exist.”
He frowned.
“No.”
“You once told me the moon looked lonely.”
Silence.
His eyes changed.
Just for a second.
“I…”
“You remember.”
He touched his forehead.
“I remember…”
The clock struck midnight.
Everything went white.
Maya woke in her apartment.
Morning sunlight filled the room.
Her phone was ringing.
It was Priya.
“Maya?”
“Yes?”
“Are you okay?”
“Why?”
“You've been asleep for two days.”
Maya sat up.
“What?”
“There was an accident at the observatory.”
Her heart stopped.
“Julian.”
Priya went silent.
“Who?”
“Julian.”
“I don't know anyone named Julian.”
Maya dropped the phone.
She ran to the observatory.
It was empty.
No Julian.
No strange signal.
No messages.
No evidence.
The files containing his work were gone.
His apartment didn't exist.
His name wasn't in any database.
His photographs were missing.
His books were gone.
It was as if he had never existed.
Maya stood in the middle of the empty room.
For the first time in her life, she believed in something she couldn't explain.
She believed she was losing her mind.
For months, Maya searched.
Nothing.
She began therapy.
She stopped working.
She stopped sleeping.
She kept one thing.
A photograph.
She had taken it herself.
It showed two people lying on the observatory roof.
Julian was smiling.
Maya was asleep beside him.
The photograph had no date.
No metadata.
Nothing.
But it existed.
That was enough.
Then, one year later, Maya received a letter.
No return address.
Inside was a photograph.
A photograph of herself.
Older.
Standing beside a little girl.
On the back:
YOU FOUND HIM ONCE.
Below it:
FIND HIM AGAIN.
Maya spent the next five years studying time.
Not astronomy.
Not physics.
Time.
She read everything.
Quantum theory.
Relativity.
Theoretical models.
Ancient myths.
Every strange account of people remembering lives they shouldn't.
She discovered something.
Across history, there were reports of the same two people appearing together.
Different names.
Different centuries.
Different countries.
Always the same faces.
Always meeting.
Always falling in love.
Always separating.
And in every record, one person was a scientist.
The other was a historian.
Maya's hands shook.
It wasn't a coincidence.
They had done this before.
Over and over.
She found the earliest record in a monastery manuscript dated 1432.
Two names:
Mara and Julian.
Then another.
Miriam and Elias.
Then 1891.
Maria and Julien.
Different lives.
Same souls.
Same story.
Maya understood.
They weren't meeting for the first time.
They were meeting again.
She returned to the observatory.
It was abandoned now.
She entered the telescope room.
The old equipment was covered in dust.
She switched on the main system.
Nothing.
Then the clock hit 2:17.
The screens flickered.
HELLO, MAYA.
She stopped breathing.
A second line appeared.
YOU HAVE REMEMBERED.
Then:
HE HAS NOT.
Maya whispered:
“Where is he?”
The screen answered.
EARTH.
She laughed bitterly.
“That's not helpful.”
Another message:
LOOK BEHIND YOU.
She turned.
The door opened.
A man stood there.
Older.
Gray at the temples.
Holding an umbrella.
A red one.
Maya stared.
He stared back.
Then he smiled.
“I think I stole this from you once.”
Her heart broke.
“Julian.”
He nodded.
“I remember.”
She ran to him.
He caught her.
They held each other.
For one perfect moment, the years disappeared.
“I thought I lost you.”
“You did.”
“Where were you?”
“Everywhere.”
She pulled away.
“What happened?”
He looked at the machines.
“The truth.”
“What truth?”
He took her hand.
“We aren't supposed to be together.”
She stared.
“Why?”
“Because every time we find each other, something breaks.”
The observatory lights flickered.
The screens activated.
A final message appeared.
ONE LIFE REMAINS.
Maya's heart sank.
“What does that mean?”
Julian looked at her.
“It means this is our last chance.”
The truth was worse than either of them imagined.
Centuries earlier, two people had discovered a way to communicate across time.
They tried to use it to find each other after death.
Instead, they created a loop.
Every lifetime, they were drawn together.
Every lifetime, the universe corrected itself by separating them.
Sometimes through death.
Sometimes through distance.
Sometimes through memory.
But the pattern remained.
Meet.
Fall in love.
Lose each other.
Repeat.
Until now.
This was the final cycle.
After this, there would be no more.
No more meetings.
No more second chances.
No more Maya and Julian.
Maya looked at him.
“So we have one life.”
“Yes.”
“Then let's use it.”
He smiled.
“I was hoping you'd say that.”
They left the observatory.
They moved to a small town by the sea.
They opened a bookstore.
They adopted a dog.
They traveled.
They grew old together.
For thirty years, nothing strange happened.
No signals.
No clocks.
No messages.
They believed the curse was over.
On their final night together, Maya was eighty-one.
Julian was eighty-three.
They sat on the beach.
The stars filled the sky.
“You know,” Maya whispered, “the moon still looks lonely.”
Julian smiled.
“You finally believe me.”
“No.”
She rested her head against his shoulder.
“I just know that some things don't need to be explained.”
He kissed her forehead.
“I love you.”
“I know.”
She closed her eyes.
He held her hand.
They watched the sunrise.
And then Maya died peacefully beside him.
Julian followed three days later.
The world moved on.
Their bookstore was sold.
Their house was emptied.
Their photographs were boxed.
Their names faded.
But fifty years later, a young astrophysicist working at the Bellweather Observatory discovered something strange.
A signal.
Repeating.
Every night.
At exactly 2:17 a.m.
He called his supervisor.
“Professor, you need to see this.”
The screen displayed a sequence.
Numbers.
Coordinates.
Then two names.
MAYA RAO
JULIAN VALE
The professor frowned.
“Who are they?”
The young scientist shook his head.
“I don't know.”
The screen changed.
A final message appeared.
THEY HAVE BEEN FOUND.
The professor stared.
“Found where?”
The system answered:
HERE.
At that exact moment, the observatory door opened.
A young woman stepped inside.
She was carrying an umbrella.
Behind her came a young man.
He was holding an old watch.
They looked at each other.
Neither knew why.
Neither had ever met before.
Yet both smiled.
“Have we met?” the woman asked.
The man shook his head.
“No.”
She laughed.
“Strange.”
He looked at her for a long moment.
Then said:
“I feel like I've been looking for you.”
She smiled.
“I was about to say the same thing.”
Outside, rain began falling.
Then, impossibly, the rain began moving upward.
The scientist stared through the window.
The young couple didn't notice.
They were too busy looking at each other.
And somewhere inside the observatory, hidden beneath layers of machinery and time, a tiny clock began ticking.
2:17.
Tick.
Tock.
Tick.
Tock.
The cycle had not ended.
It had only changed its name.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment