Wednesday, 2 September 2026

THE GIRL IN THE WALLb WHO RECALLED

THE GIRL IN THE WALL Part Three — The Girl Who Remembered I went home carrying the photograph. My mother was waiting in the kitchen. She looked at me and knew immediately. “You found it.” “Yes.” She sat down. I put the photograph on the table. “Which one am I?” She didn't answer. “Mom.” Her eyes filled with tears. “I don't know anymore.” That frightened me more than any lie could have. “You knew once.” “Yes.” “Tell me.” She shook her head. “Please.” She looked at the photograph. “The night your father died, both of you were in the room.” “What happened?” “He came after Elena.” I closed my eyes. The memory returned in fragments. My father's hands. Elena screaming. My mother running upstairs. A glass breaking. Then me. Holding something. A fireplace poker. Blood. My father on the floor. Elena standing behind me. My mother screaming. And then— Nothing. “What happened after?” My mother whispered: “You said something.” “What?” “You said, ‘I didn't mean to.’” I looked at the photograph. “Who said it?” “I don't know.” My mother began to cry. “You were identical. You were both covered in blood. And when the police came, I couldn't tell them which one had done it.” “So you lied.” “Yes.” “You told them Mara was dead.” “Yes.” “Why?” “Because Elena was holding the weapon.” My heart stopped. “But you just said you didn't know.” “I didn't.” She looked at me. “I knew one thing.” “What?” “You were the one crying.” I looked down. The girl in the photograph. The crying girl. Me. Except— A memory struck me so violently I nearly fell from the chair. I wasn't crying. Elena was. I had been standing beside my father. Holding the poker. And I was smiling. Not because I wanted him dead. Because I had finally realized he couldn't hurt us anymore. The memory vanished. I gasped. My mother grabbed my hand. “What?” “I remember.” “What?” “I killed him.” She closed her eyes. “Yes.” The room became silent. “But why did you say you didn't know?” “Because Elena asked me to.” I looked at her. “She told me to say it was an accident.” “Why?” “Because she knew what would happen to you if the police found out.” I couldn't understand. “She protected me?” “Yes.” My mother wiped her eyes. “She took your name.” I stared at her. “You switched us.” “Yes.” “Then who became Elena?” My mother didn't answer. I already knew. I ran upstairs. Into my bedroom. I opened the drawer where I kept my oldest possessions. A bracelet. A childhood photograph. A birthday card. The bracelet had always been mine. At least, that's what I'd believed. I turned it over. There were initials scratched into the metal. E.V. Elena Vale. I sat on the bed. All my life, I had thought I was Mara. But the name on my bracelet belonged to Elena. I opened the childhood photograph. Two girls stood beside a tree. One was smiling. The other was crying. On the back: Mara on the left. Elena on the right. I stared. The smiling girl was me. The crying girl was my sister. But I was wearing Elena's bracelet. Why? Because we had switched clothes that night. Not identities. Clothes. Names. Lives. Everything had been confused deliberately. Then I noticed something else. The photograph wasn't twenty years old. It had been taken after the night my father died. The date was written in the corner. June 15. The day after. I looked at the two girls. One had a bruise beneath her eye. The other had blood on her sleeve. I recognized the blood. My blood. Suddenly the entire story rearranged itself. My father had attacked me. Elena had tried to protect me. I had killed him. Elena had taken responsibility. My mother had panicked. Mrs. Bell had offered another solution. Erase the memories. Give the girls new identities. Make the murder disappear. But something had gone wrong. They had not erased the truth. They had buried it. And buried memories have a way of becoming ghosts. I went back to Mrs. Bell's house. She was waiting. “You remember,” she said. “Yes.” “Everything?” “Enough.” She sighed. “Then you know why we did it.” “No.” Her expression hardened. “You killed him.” “Yes.” “And your sister protected you.” “Yes.” “So?” “So why did you make me believe she was the murderer?” Mrs. Bell didn't move. “I didn't.” I stared at her. “Then who did?” She smiled. “Your sister.” The room went cold. “What?” “She couldn't live with what she'd done.” “She didn't kill him.” “No.” “But she believed she did.” Mrs. Bell nodded. “She believed she caused his death because she pushed him.” “And I struck him.” “Yes.” “So she blamed herself.” “Yes.” “Why?” “Because she loved you.” I looked away. The truth hurt. More than the murder. More than the lies. Elena had spent twenty years believing she had destroyed our family. And I had spent twenty years believing I was her. Mrs. Bell walked to the window. “She asked me to erase everything.” “You erased both of us.” “She asked me to erase her.” “But you couldn't.” “No.” “Why?” Mrs. Bell looked at me. “Because your sister was never my patient.” I frowned. “She was my daughter.” I couldn't speak. Mrs. Bell was Elena's biological mother. Not my mother. Not my mother's friend. She had been having an affair with my father. Elena was her daughter. That was why she had protected her. That was why she had manipulated the memories. That was why she had guided me back toward the truth. I stepped away. “You've been doing this for twenty years.” “Yes.” “Why?” “Because Elena came back.” “Where is she?” Mrs. Bell smiled. “She came home yesterday.” My heart stopped. The front door opened. Someone walked in. A girl. Seventeen. Dark hair. Narrow face. A scar above her eyebrow. My face. She looked at me. And I knew. Not because Mrs. Bell told me. Because I remembered her. “Elena.” She smiled. “Mara.” We stood facing each other. For a moment, neither moved. Then she began to cry. “I knew you'd remember.” I couldn't stop myself. I hugged her. She held me so tightly it hurt. “I thought you were dead,” I whispered. “I thought you hated me.” “I never knew you.” “You did.” She pulled away. “When we were little.” I looked at her. “You remembered?” “Pieces.” “Why didn't you come back?” “Because Mom wouldn't let me.” “Which mom?” She smiled sadly. “That's complicated.” We both laughed. It was the first time I had laughed in days. Then she handed me something. A cassette. “What's this?” “The last one.” I looked at Mrs. Bell. She turned away. I put the cassette into the player. Static. Then my own childhood voice. “I know they'll erase this.” A pause. “But I also know Mara will come back.” I looked at my sister. The voice continued. “When she does, don't tell her what happened.” I frowned. “Let her find it.” Another pause. “Because if she remembers too quickly, she'll remember the wrong thing.” The tape clicked. Then my childhood voice whispered: “We have plenty of time.” I looked at Elena. She was crying. “What does that mean?” She took my hand. “It means we knew we'd forget.” “Who wrote the messages?” “I did.” “The notes?” “I did.” “The photograph?” “I hid it.” “The room?” “You built it.” I stared at her. “What?” “You built the room.” “No.” “You did.” She looked at Mrs. Bell. “Before the memory treatment, you hid everything.” The pieces fell into place. The carved words. The cassette. The photograph. The red coat. The diary. I had been investigating myself. But not because someone wanted me to discover the truth. Because I had wanted my future self to discover it. Before they erased me, I had built a trail. I had planted the evidence. I had written the messages. I had hidden the photograph. I had created a mystery that only I could solve. And I had forgotten doing it. I began laughing. Then crying. Then laughing again. My sister held me. “You knew,” she said. “I knew what?” “That you'd come back.” We went upstairs. I found the final message inside the wall. Not one of the old notes. A new one. Written in my handwriting. I opened it. There were six words. I KNEW YOU WOULD COME BACK. I stared at the sentence. Then something else happened. A final memory returned. Not the night my father died. Not the hospital. Not the treatment. The morning before everything disappeared. I was standing in this exact room. My sister was beside me. We were twelve. She was crying. I was holding the photograph. I had already written the message. She asked me: “What if we forget?” I had smiled. Then I had taken her hand. “We have plenty of time.” I understood. We had never been trying to remember the past. We had been trying to protect the future. The mystery wasn't a trap. It was a promise. I looked at Elena. “We should leave.” She nodded. We packed quickly. No clothes. No photographs. Nothing that belonged to the house. At the front door, my mother stood waiting. She looked older than she had that morning. “Where will you go?” I didn't know. Anywhere. Somewhere without ghosts. Somewhere without locked rooms. Somewhere nobody knew our names. Elena took my hand. We stepped outside. The rain had started again. For a few minutes, we walked without speaking. Then we reached the road. A car was waiting. Mrs. Bell stood beside it. “I can take you to the station.” I looked at her. “Why are you helping us?” “Because I owe you both a life.” I almost believed her. Then I saw the expression on Elena's face. She was staring at the car. “What?” She pointed. There was blood on the back seat. Fresh. I stopped. Mrs. Bell's smile disappeared. “Don't get in.” We ran. Behind us, a door slammed. Someone shouted. We crossed the road. A car accelerated toward us. Elena grabbed my arm. We jumped onto the pavement. The car swerved. For several seconds, neither of us moved. Then Elena laughed. “Still alive.” I looked at her. “Barely.” She took my hand. We ran toward the railway station. Behind us, the house stood dark against the rain. The windows looked like black eyes. I knew then that our story wasn't over. Perhaps it had never been about discovering who we were. Perhaps it was about discovering who had been watching us. At the station, the departure board flickered. One train. Eleven minutes. We bought two tickets. No names. Just destinations. We sat on the platform. For the first time, nobody was following us. Elena rested her head against my shoulder. “Do you think we'll be okay?” I looked down the tracks. “I don't know.” She smiled. “At least we're together.” The announcement came. The train was approaching. Lights appeared in the distance. We stood. The platform trembled. Elena squeezed my hand. And then I saw her face. For one terrible second, she wasn't Elena. She was the little girl in the photograph. The crying girl. And I remembered something I had forgotten until that exact moment. There had never been two girls. Not at the beginning. Not in the house. Not in the photograph. There had been three. A third child had been standing behind us. A girl nobody had ever mentioned. A girl whose face had been scratched out of every photograph. A girl who had watched my father die. A girl who had watched us forget. I turned toward the dark end of the platform. Someone was standing there. A woman. Holding a red coat. My mother's voice whispered behind me. “Mara.” I turned. She was there. I don't know how she had followed us. I don't know who had called her. I don't know whether the woman with the red coat was Mrs. Bell or someone else. I only knew that Elena had stopped beside me. And she was staring at the woman. “She found us.” The train screamed into the station. Doors opened. People poured onto the platform. Someone grabbed my arm. I pulled away. Elena grabbed my hand. We ran. We reached the carriage. The doors began closing. We jumped inside. The woman with the red coat was running toward us. Too far away. The doors shut. The train began moving. Elena collapsed into the seat. I looked through the window. The woman stood perfectly still. Then she smiled. Not at me. At Elena. My sister saw it too. “What does she want?” I looked at the photograph in my hand. The old photograph. The one I had thought showed two girls. Now, under the station lights, I could finally see the truth. There was a third shadow behind us. And beneath it, almost invisible, someone had written a sentence. Not six words. Not five. Only three. YOU REMEMBERED WRONG. I looked at Elena. She looked at me. Neither of us spoke. The train carried us into the darkness. For the first time, I understood the one thing nobody had told us. We hadn't escaped. We had simply reached the next part of the story. Elena squeezed my hand. I squeezed hers back. Neither of us knew where the train was going. Neither of us knew who would be waiting when we arrived. But there was one thing I finally knew for certain. We had spent twenty years believing we were running out of time. We had spent twenty years believing there would eventually be a moment when the past caught us. We had spent twenty years believing we could outrun what happened that night. But the truth had been there from the beginning. Waiting. Patient. Unforgiving. The train gathered speed. Elena leaned her head against the window. Outside, the lights disappeared one by one. I looked at her. She looked at me. And somewhere behind us, far beyond the last station, the house remained standing. Waiting for us to come back. Waiting for us to remember. Waiting for us to understand why the third girl had never been mentioned. Elena closed her eyes. “Do you think we made it?” I looked into the darkness beyond the glass. I thought about the photograph. The messages. The blood. The locked room. The woman with the red coat. And the memory that still refused to return. “No,” I whispered. The train disappeared into the night. We were never going to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment