Thursday, 10 September 2026

Part Three: The Truth in the Basement

Part Three: The Truth in the Basement The child's laughter continued in the darkness. It was soft at first. Almost playful. Then it became louder. Closer. I stood completely still. Thomas's hand was still gripping my arm. “Don't move,” he whispered. “Who is Daniel?” He didn't answer. The wall behind us creaked. A long crack appeared across the plaster. Dust fell from the ceiling. Then came three knocks. Knock. Knock. Knock. Thomas released me. “Run.” “What?” “Run!” He pushed me toward the door. We stumbled into the corridor. Behind us, something struck the wall. The entire house seemed to shake. I ran down the stairs. Thomas followed. We reached the second floor. Then the first. When I looked back, he was no longer behind me. “Thomas?” No answer. “Thomas!” Silence. I turned toward the staircase. A small figure stood at the top. A boy. He was wearing a red sweater. His face was burned on one side. His head was tilted strangely. I couldn't move. The boy smiled. “Did you hear that?” I couldn't speak. He pointed toward the basement. “She's waiting for you.” Then he disappeared. I ran. I didn't know where else to go. The basement door stood open. I had never opened it. Cold air rushed up the stairs. I descended slowly. The smell of smoke became stronger with every step. At the bottom, I found Thomas. He was standing beside an old machine. The same machine I had seen in the diagrams. The memory machine. “What is this place?” I asked. Thomas didn't look at me. “Where it all happened.” “Tell me the truth.” He remained silent. “Tell me!” He finally turned. His face was wet with tears. “You really want to know?” “Yes.” “Then you need to remember.” He switched on the machine. The basement filled with a low electrical hum. Lights flickered across the walls. I stepped backward. “What are you doing?” “Giving you your memories back.” “I don't want them.” “You don't have a choice.” He pressed a button. Pain exploded inside my skull. I screamed. Images flashed before my eyes. Two boys. A kitchen. A woman. A birthday cake. Daniel laughing. Thomas crying. A locked bedroom door. Then— Fire. I saw everything. Daniel had been holding a box of matches. He had threatened to burn the curtains. Thomas begged him to stop. Daniel laughed. Then the curtain caught fire. The flames spread instantly. Thomas ran toward the door. It was locked. He screamed for Mother. She came running. She opened the door. Smoke filled the room. Daniel was trapped. Thomas grabbed his hand. “Come on!” But Daniel pulled away. He was terrified. Thomas reached for him again. Then the ceiling collapsed. Daniel disappeared beneath the flames. I screamed. “No!” The memory changed. Mother dragged Thomas outside. Daniel was dead. But Thomas kept screaming. “I killed him!” Mother held him. “You didn't.” “I couldn't save him!” “You didn't kill him.” But Thomas wouldn't stop. “I killed him!” Mother looked toward the burning house. And something changed in her expression. That was when she made her decision. She didn't want to lose another son. So she lied. She told Thomas that he was Daniel. She told him Daniel had survived. She told him Thomas had died. Then she brought him to the basement. The machine began. Memory after memory was altered. Daniel's face was placed inside Thomas's mind. Thomas's memories were buried. But something went wrong. The machine couldn't erase everything. It created fragments. Voices. Dreams. The knocking. The strange feeling of knowing places I had never visited. And most importantly— Daniel. I opened my eyes. I was lying on the basement floor. Thomas stood above me. “Now you remember.” I stared at him. “You weren't lying.” He shook his head. “No.” “You really are Thomas.” “Yes.” “Then who am I?” He didn't answer. I stood slowly. The machine continued humming. “Who am I?” Thomas looked at the machine. “You're what she made after the treatment failed.” I stared at him. “What does that mean?” “She tried to turn you into Daniel.” “But?” “But you became something else.” The basement door slammed shut. We both turned. Mother stood at the bottom of the stairs. She looked older than she had in the photograph. Much older. Her hands trembled. “Stop the machine,” she whispered. Thomas shook his head. “Not this time.” She looked at me. “Daniel.” I felt anger rise inside me. “My name isn't Daniel.” She smiled sadly. “I know.” Thomas stepped toward her. “Tell him.” She said nothing. “Tell him what you did.” “I was trying to save you.” “You destroyed both of us.” “I couldn't lose another son.” “You didn't lose one.” Thomas's voice cracked. “You lost both.” Mother looked at me. “You were never supposed to wake up.” I stared at her. “What?” She looked toward the machine. “The memories were supposed to remain buried.” “Then why did you bring me here?” “I didn't.” Thomas interrupted. “I did.” I turned toward him. “Why?” He smiled. “Because I need you.” “For what?” “To finish what Mother started.” He moved toward the machine. I suddenly noticed something. There was another chair. Beside the first. Two chairs. Two sets of restraints. My blood ran cold. “You're going to put me back in.” Thomas nodded. “And you're going to put yourself in the other chair.” “Yes.” “Why?” “Because there are two memories left.” He looked at Mother. “Daniel's.” Then he looked at me. “And mine.” I understood. “You want to combine them.” Thomas nodded. “So you can become Daniel?” “No.” His expression changed. “So Daniel can become alive.” The basement became silent. I laughed nervously. “That isn't possible.” Thomas pointed toward the machine. “You've already seen what it can do.” “No.” “You felt him.” I remembered the child. The red sweater. The burned face. The voice. The knocking. I shook my head. “That was an illusion.” Thomas looked at Mother. “Tell him.” Mother closed her eyes. “Daniel's memories were never destroyed.” I stared at her. “What?” “They were stored.” “Where?” She pointed toward the machine. “In there.” I looked at the machine. A strange sound came from it. A heartbeat. Slow. Steady. Thump. Thump. Thump. I stepped closer. The machine's screen flickered. A name appeared. SUBJECT D: DANIEL Then another. SUBJECT T: THOMAS And beneath them: COMPOSITE SUBJECT: UNKNOWN I stared at the final line. “What is composite subject?” Mother whispered: “You.” The machine suddenly activated. The lights flashed. Pain shot through my head. I fell to my knees. And then I heard a voice. My own voice. “Help me.” I looked up. A boy stood across the room. Daniel. He was crying. “Please.” I reached toward him. Thomas shouted: “Don't!” The boy looked at Thomas. “You killed me.” Thomas froze. Daniel smiled. “You remember now.” Thomas stepped backward. “No.” “You killed me.” “I was a child.” “You pushed me.” “I was trying to save you.” “You left me.” Thomas covered his ears. “Stop!” Daniel turned toward me. “You're carrying my memories.” I shook my head. “I don't want them.” “You don't get to choose.” The machine screamed. A blinding light filled the basement. Then everything went black. When I opened my eyes, I was lying on the floor. The machine was silent. Thomas was gone. Mother was gone. The basement door was open. I stood slowly. “Thomas?” Nothing. I climbed the stairs. The house was empty. Morning light entered through the broken windows. I walked outside. The rain had stopped. The road was quiet. My car stood exactly where I had left it. The engine started on the first attempt. I got inside. Before driving away, I looked back at Blackwood House. For a moment, I thought I saw three figures standing at an upstairs window. Mother. Thomas. Daniel. Then they disappeared. I drove away. For several kilometers, I said nothing. I tried to convince myself that it was over. That I was free. Then I noticed something on the passenger seat. A photograph. I hadn't put it there. It showed two boys standing beside the house. I turned it over. There was writing on the back. Not my mother's handwriting. Mine. There were never two brothers. I stared at the words. My hands tightened around the steering wheel. A memory surfaced. A memory I had never seen before. Three boys. Not two. Three. Daniel. Thomas. And me. I slammed the brakes. The car stopped in the middle of the empty road. I stared at the photograph. The third boy was standing behind the others. His face was blurred. But he was wearing a red sweater. I looked into the rear-view mirror. The back seat was empty. Then— Knock. Knock. Knock. I slowly turned around. Nothing. Another three knocks. This time they came from inside the trunk. I stepped out of the car. The trunk opened by itself. Inside was nothing except an old tape recorder. My mother's voice came from it. “If you're hearing this, then the experiment succeeded.” I froze. The recording continued. “But I made one mistake.” Static. Then: “I thought I had created one replacement child.” A pause. “I was wrong.” My heart began pounding. “I created three.” The tape stopped. I stared into the empty trunk. Then a voice spoke behind me. “Did you hear that?” I turned. Thomas stood in the road. He was smiling. Beside him stood Daniel. And between them was another boy. The third boy. He looked exactly like me. Thomas pointed at him. “This is the real reason I brought you back.” “Who is he?” Thomas smiled. “You.” I looked at my reflection in the car window. The face staring back at me was not Daniel's. Not Thomas's. It was something different. Something I had never seen before. And suddenly I understood. My mother had not erased one child's memories. She had divided them. She had taken Daniel's memories. Thomas's memories. And the memories of the child she had created from both. She had given each of us a different identity. But the house had remembered everything. And now it wanted us together. The three boys stepped closer. The world around me became strangely silent. Then Daniel whispered: “Come home.” Thomas repeated: “Come home.” The third boy smiled. And in my own voice, he said: “It's time to remember everything.” Behind us, Blackwood House appeared through the fog. Its windows were glowing. One by one, the lights turned on. Then the front door opened. I should have run. Instead, I walked toward it. Because somewhere deep inside me, beneath the memories, beneath the fear, beneath everything I thought I knew— I heard three knocks. Knock. Knock. Knock. And this time, I knew exactly what they meant. Someone was coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment