Wednesday 17 January 2024

WOULD A DRINK HELP?

 Good Morning!!!

 

God grant me the Serenity

to accept the things

I cannot change;

Courage to change

the things I can;

and Wisdom

to know the difference.

Thy will, not mine, be done.

 

*~*~*~*~*^Daily Reflections^*~*~*~*~*

 

January 18, 2024

 

WOULD A DRINK HELP?

 

By going back in our drinking histories,

we could show that years

before we realized it, we were out of control,

that our drinking even then was no mere habit

that was indeed the beginning

of a fatal progression.

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 23

 

When I was still drinking,

I couldn’t respond to any of life’s situations

the way other, healthier, people could.

The smallest incident triggered a state of mind

that believed I had to have a drink to numb my feelings.

But the numbing did not improve the situation,

so, I sought further escape in the bottle.

Today I must be aware of my alcoholism.

I cannot afford to believe

that I have gained control of my drinking –

or again I will think I have gained control of my life.

Such a feeling of control is fatal to my recovery.

 

**********************************************

Accepting God's Gifts

 

"Though many theologians hold

that sudden spiritual experiences

amount to a special distinction,

if not a divine appointment of some sort,

I question this view.

Every human being,

no matter what his attributes for good or evil,

is a part of the divine spiritual economy.

Therefore, each of us has his place,

and I cannot see that God intends to exalt one another.

"So, it is necessary for all of us to accept

whatever positive gifts we receive

with a deep humility, always bearing in mind

that our negative attitudes were first necessary

as a means of reducing us to such a state

of that we would be ready for a gift of the positive ones

via the conversion experience.

Your own alcoholism and the immense deflation

that finally resulted are indeed the foundation

upon which your spiritual experience rests."

Letter, 1964

© 1967 by Alcoholics Anonymous

® World Services, Inc

No comments:

Post a Comment