Tuesday 21 February 2023

God grant me the Serenity

  

God grant me the Serenity

to accept the things

I cannot change;

Courage to change

the things I can;

and Wisdom

to know the difference.

Thy will, not mine, be done.

 

*~*~*~*~*^Daily Reflections^*~*~*~*~*

 

February 21, 2023

 

I'M PART OF THE WHOLE

 

At once, I became a part–

if only a tiny part–of a cosmos….

AS BILL SEES IT, p. 225

 

When I first came to A.A.,

I decided that “they” were very nice people–

perhaps a little naive, a little too friendly,

but basically decent, earnest people

(with whom I had nothing in common).

I saw “them” at meetings –

after all, that was where “they” existed.

I shook hands with “them” and,

when I went out the door, I forgot about “them.”

Then one day my Higher Power,

whom I did not then believe in,

arranged to create a community project outside of A.A.,

but one which happened to involve many A.A. members.

We worked together, I got to know “them” as people.

I came to admire “them,” even to like “them” and,

in spite of myself, to enjoy “them.”

“Their” practice of the program in their daily lives–

not just talk at meetings –

attracted me and I wanted what they

had. Suddenly the “they” became “we.”

I have not had a drink since.

 

**********************************************

Out of the Dark

 

Self-searching is the means

by which we bring new vision, action, and grace

to bear upon the dark and negative side of our natures.

With it comes the development of that kind of humility

that makes it possible for us to receive God’s help.

Yet it is only a step. We will want to go further.

We will want the good that is in us all,

even in the worst of us, to flower and grow.

But first of all, we shall want sunlight,

nothing much can grow in the dark.

Meditation is our step out into the sun.

“A clear light seems to fall upon us all–

when we open our eyes.

Since our blindness is caused by our own defects,

we must first deeply realize what they are.

Constructive meditation is the first requirement

for each new step in our spiritual growth.”

1. Twelve and Twelve, p. 98 - 2. Letter, 1946

 

*****

A good self-examination of AA attitude

might include the question,

 

“Am I a dead weight in AA?”

 

No matter why any individual goes to meetings,

no matter what YOU think YOU are bringing to it

or getting out of AA –

if it isn’t to locate a newcomer to take through the steps

and get him to God,

you just might be wasting your, his and God's time.

It doesn't matter how many pithy shares you launch,

no matter how much coffee you make,

how many service meetings you attend,

how many times you give out your phone number

to someone you know damn well is never going to call you –

if you aren’t going to meetings

with the sole purpose of finding another alkie

to take through the twelve steps –

then you are dragging the fellowship into the ground,

and one day when its completely gone,

when no meetings exist anymore

which come close to resembling the original purpose,

you should not wonder why.

Via - Danny J Schwarzhoff

 

**********************************************

God is no stranger to anonymity

and often appears in human affairs

in the guises of “luck,” “chance,”

or “coincidence.”

Joe McFadden

 

It seems in every interaction there is something to learn

if we can only see ourselves as students.

If we can humble ourselves,

and allow ourselves to see the world

without our own beliefs and dogmas,

then we could see so much beauty

awaiting us in each momen

No comments:

Post a Comment