Thursday 9 February 2023

An Incredible Journey

 Sharing someone’s post – extremely well articulated and thought provoking…

 
I graduated an IIT Gold Medalist. Became an entrepreneur. Now at Stanford. Soon will join McKinsey. People usually say: "You are talented", "You are inspirational", "You are the reason for your successes". I ask myself, "Really?"

I acknowledge my hard work. But 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗲𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗲𝗹𝘀𝗲 deserves way more credit.

• My father was an army officer. We had a decent family income. I was sent to good schools, gained exposure by moving to new cities, and played competitive sports. All of this created a strong foundation for life. Was this my accomplishment? Or was it privilege?

• Being the youngest of four siblings, I had the advantage of NOT going first. When I prepared for IIT-JEE, I knew what to do, what not to do.

• When I got up at 5 AM to study, my mom made hot tea. Multiply such support a hundred million times! Who deserves the credit?

• I had the freedom to follow my heart. I joined startups, quit them, started a non-profit, whatever I wanted. Not many constraints. A lot of that led me to Stanford. My accomplishment or privilege?

• I did not have to support my family financially. Some of my older siblings did. Privilege?

The list is endless. The point is - people have different starting points and I started miles ahead of most.

𝗪𝗵𝘆 𝗮𝗺 𝗜 𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀? 𝗧𝗼 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗱 𝘂𝘀:

• No matter who you are, recognize your privilege.

• Give credit to those who deserve it. It will mean the world to them.

• If you have less, don't feel powerless. If you have more, don't feel guilty. There's always someone above and below you.

• Most importantly, channel your privilege to do good in the world. That's the best gift back.

How has privilege impacted your journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment