Sunday 18 September 2022

Met an old class mate.

 Met an old class mate.

We had not seen each other for about 30 years. 

When I saw him at a hotel lobby, he was looking quite simple - ordinary. 

The Lord has been very kind to me. 
Deep within me I was not impressed with his status compared to mine.

We started chatting and I could see the joy in him as he spoke to me.

I told him I would drop him home in my new Range Rover and I pointed it to him. He declined and said he had already called for his car. It was an old Honda Accord.

I invited him the next day for lunch at my house. 
I wanted to impress him - to show off my success and affluence to him.
I also wanted to discuss opportunities and possibilities to help him.

He looked impressed with my home. I had taken a heavy mortgage. In fact I was heavily in debt. 

We had lunch. He told me he was into small business and also into real estate. 

I brought up more business discussions. I asked him how I could help him. 
I even told him if he was interested, I could help him secure some loans... He looked at me and smiled.
He said he was fine.
He invited me over to his place. Then he left in his old car. 

I was grateful to God for what I had. I thought to myself...I was lucky. I worked in a good place, made good money....

Two weeks later, we went to his place . My wife was not too keen to go but I was able to convince her that we were very close friends in college. 

We asked for directions to his home. Those guiding us spoke his name with deference.
It was a simple but lovely home. A four bedroom bungalow. I saw four cars parked in front. We entered his home. It was simple but elegant and classy. He welcomed us warmly.
Lunch was well served. His wife called him Baba Wuraola.

During lunch, he asked about my MD. 
He said they were friends. 

I saw a company gift on one of his tables. That company owned about 38% shares in the place where I worked. 

I enquired about it. He smiled. 
He then told me he owned the company. 
He also owned the  
Wuraola Estate.
I was stunned!!!

I had learnt a lesson in humility - A big one. 

Driving back home, I was very quiet. 
I thought about myself. 
Living on heavy loans and showing off while someone who pays my salary is quite modest and living a simple life!

Indeed Deeper Rivers Flow In Majestic Silence!

No comments:

Post a Comment