Sunday 18 February 2024

INDIA BECKONS XIAO MING

 


Chapter 7

INDIA BECKONS XIAO MING

“To other countries I may go as a tourist, but to India

I come as a pilgrim.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.

 

As was her wont, Xiao Ming reached the airport well in time. The international airport at Kuala Lumpur housed luxury lounges, a wide variety of restaurants, children’s play areas and duty-free stores. But Ming was interested in moving around and pacing the airport. The athlete in her craved continuous movement, just as her brain that could never be still and calm.

Having completed the formalities, she walked up to a book store and purchased two books by the prominent new-age alternative medicine advocate, Deepak Chopra. The first one, Buddha A Story of Enlightenment was a work of fiction and the second one, a book called Ageless Body and Timeless Mind. After some shopping she began poring through the novel. Her hedonistic self-pined for an ageless body and she reserved that book for a more thorough read at a later time.

Once boarding was announced, Xiao Ming headed towards departures.   Soon   she   was   aboard, sandwiched   between   two passengers, carrying the books, her carry-on luggage and was beginning to feel cloistered. The young woman’s usual preference was either an aisle seat or a window seat. The person occupying the window seat already had his ears plugged with earphones and eyes closed.

Xiao Ming was a headstrong woman who seldom asked for assistance, but on this occasion, she was wondering whether she should seek a favour and request the passenger to trade seats, but wisely refrained from doing so.

The pilot made the routine welcome and pre-departure address and then the flight took off smoothly. Xiao Ming was still struggling to settle down peacefully. She tried to continue reading, but her vision kept moving towards the ceiling of the aircraft.

Suddenly, Xiao Ming’s gaze noticed the serene and contended look on the face of the person, who appeared to be Indian; “window-seat-man”, as she was labelling him in her mind.

To her other side was a Malay who appeared to be playing games on his smart phone and after sometime switched to his laptop. He appeared to be making calculations on a spreadsheet and was constantly fretting and fuming. She herself was grappling to discover
some physical and mental space. Ming was discomposed observing the tranquillity of the person seated next to her. They all appeared to be in the same age-group and she was trying to figure the personalities of the co-passengers. The person seated left to her seat looked wealthy but seemed extremely contented and composed while the one seated to her right was juggling with numbers and fretting, fuming and sweating even in an air-conditioned environment as the flight was gaining ascendancy.

“Good afternoon, sir, what will you have?” a petite airhostess woke up “window-seat-man” from his sleep. He slowly opened his eyes and ordered a vegetarian meal. Xiao Ming too ordered vegetarian fare, while the Malay was happy to devour pork sandwiches.

Xiao Ming sported a weak smile.

“Indian?”  she ventured hesitatingly. The gentleman to her left took a moment to second to realise that she was addressing him. “Oh, yes! Anav Athreya, Indian,” he finally spoke. The prepossessing Chinese blessed with wonderful assets, an athletic and well-toned body normally drew attention wherever she travelled. But her Indian co-passenger seemed different. The Malay did admire her physical presence and briefly spoke to her but could not engage her attention.

“Well, presently I am travelling home to India from London on a holiday. I’ll be travelling on to Chennai to visit my parents. I work in Shenzhen,” he spoke gently, with a few pauses here and there, as though wanting to make sure she understood what he was speaking.

“Oh, what a coincidence! I am from Shenzhen too. I’m Xiao Ming,” she said with a broad smile. “I’m a computer engineer and well, I am travelling to India too.”

“Yes, this flight goes to India!” Anav remarked.

I have booked myself on the Buddhist Circuit trail and intend to visit various Buddhist shrines and try to discover Buddha. Of late I have been visiting several Buddhist shrines and locales based in China, Malaysia and Thailand,” Xiao Ming spoke with purpose.

After this short, initial burst of conversation, an uneasy silence took over. Xiao Ming broke the silence by asking, “Incidentally were you meditating or listening to some music which was so spellbinding and riveting? Close to forty minutes since the flight took off and you sat motionless without uttering a word. To me it looked as if I was sitting next to a meditating monk!”

Anav burst out laughing. “Me and a monk … not happening, ever! On the contrary, I am more of an agnostic, a non-believer. At best you can call a me God-fearing kind of a person. My mother is highly religious and performs various rituals and propitiates all the deities in our neighbourhood. My dad is a retired civil servant. He is an agnostic and enjoys reading.”

After a pause he added, “Though when in India, I do accompany my parents to temples and reluctantly participate in the rituals of Hindu religion. We belong to the Brahmin community, where the Gods are worshipped and deified meticulously, with all devotion and sincerity,” the Tam-Brahm informed the winsome Chinese lady.

“And for the record,” he continued with a smile, “I do not practice any meditation. I enjoy running, ten kilometres every day is par for the course. But when running, I am in the zone. However, a mentor, introduced me to Zen Buddhism and I was listening to a podcast about various concepts. Actually, I was trying to follow the tenet of, ‘When you walk. When you eat, you eat. When you talk, you talk’,” Anav clarified to Xiao Ming.

“Lately I have been listening to some podcasts, watching You Tube videos and trying to read some literature on Buddha. Strange as it may sound, I come from the land of Buddhism but was introduced to Buddha only in China,” remarked Anav.

“But I thought Buddha was born in Lumbini which is Nepal,” Xiao Ming spoke up.

“Yes, during those ancient times Nepal was a part of India. Nepal was also the only Hindu kingdom in the world until some years ago. And if we dabble into geopolitics, Nepal is of immense strategic interest to your country,” Anav replied.

The word strategy took her mind to Sun Tzu and Xi Jinping. “Yes, what you say is correct. It is of immense strategic importance,” Xiao Ming admitted. “Have you heard about Sun Tzu?” she inquired.

The Art of War! Yes. We had a parallel in Chanakya who wrote Arthashastra, a political and economic treatise.  He chaperoned Chandragupta Maurya, who was one of the most powerful suzerains of ancient India.”

They looked at each other and neither of them had any answers and once again looked at each other intently.

Ironically, both the young travellers had amassed vast fortunes, but on account of the vicissitudes of life were splashing into Buddhism.

Was it on account of a certain lack in life, anxiety, insecurities, fears or something else?

The flight to Delhi was a unique place for the inhabitants of the two Asian giants to meet and interact…

As he was conversing with Xiao Ming, Anav discerned the copy of Deepak Chopra’s novel lying on her lap. “Looks like you have made some advancement to appreciate Buddhism, as I see you seem to be reading about the Buddha.”

Xiao Ming paused and thought before replying. She remembered the images of the monk who transfigured into Buddha and the Buddha which metamorphosed into a bearded man. “This Indian is good at reading as what is going on in my brain.”

“Should I be candid and tell him about Xuan Zang and his voyage westwards and the way I was inspired by the ancient traveller to charter a similar path, in search of peace and the quintessential truth?” she contemplated.

“Hey!” Anav called out smiling and shaking her out of the reverie. “In case you do not wish to talk about it, heavens will not fall. It was an innocent query,” the Tamilian addressed young woman who had suddenly fallen silent.

Xiao Ming who seemed to have had a brain freeze, spoke up startled, “Sorry…er Mr. Anav. I was processing all that had been going through my brain, trying to formulate a cogent reply,” she was to say.

“Well very briefly, my family rose from abject poverty to scale the summit. I studied computer science and went on to found a start-up which did exceedingly well.”

Anav nodded his head, waiting for her to continue. “The app that was my creation was taken over and my start-up disappeared … puff, just like that into thin air,” Xiao Ming dramatically imitated a magician. “For sure, I was financially compensated. All of a sudden, I had everything that I could have wished for, but very swiftly that was accompanied by an enormous void in my life. In midst of abundance, I was caught in the vortex of undersupply and scarceness.”

Xiao Ming continued narrating her story. The Malay sitting to her right seemed to eavesdrop on the conversation and received a glare from her. He hurried back to playing the numbers game.

“Go on, it is quite an interesting story. But how do Buddha and Deepak Chopra make way into the picture?” Anav queried.

“You know Xiao Ming during my ten-year stay in China, I have read Confucius and Sun Tzu. I have noted down several of their quotations. I will find one to unravel the present state of your mind,” Anav said as he quickly scrolled down his tablet and exclaimed, “Aha! This one would be apt.”

“… ‘Therefore, when capable, feign incapacity; when active, inactivity. When near, make it appear that you are far away; when far away, that you are to lure him; feign disorder and strike him. When he concentrates, prepare against him; where he is strong, avoid him’. This is what your very own Sun Tzu said.”

“I look up to him. All corporate honchos, techs, military strategists and political leaders should read The Art of War,” Xiao Ming reverted back.

Xiao Ming added further, “While it is true my brain was distraught and nerves were frayed because of my past, but I rallied around and then made name and fortune with my invention, which at the cost of repetition I surrendered at the altar of power, yes, I did capitulate. In the meantime, I had some surrealistic experiences and then embarked upon this journey. As far as this novel is concerned, I saw the image of Buddha and picked it up and so far, have found it interesting to read.”

“But what is your sudden interest in Buddhism. You mentioned you are a Hindu?” she questioned him.

“Well, to be honest, I am looking for a deeper meaning to life. Amidst the oasis of wealth, I find that my mind is stuck in a swampy mass,” replied the Indian.

“There is a feeling of inadequacy. I am trying to figure it out. All the rituals in our temples back home have not quite triggered any peace and tranquillity within me,” added Anav.

Drinks were being served on the aircraft. The Malay had one. Anav ordered a soft drink and so did Xiao Ming.

“You stay away from liquor?” Anav asked her.

“I used to consume wine quite a bit. But of late I’ve drastically reduced it,” she answered.

After a little while, Anav shut his eyes and Xiao Ming went back to her book. In the amphitheatre of her brain, she was drawing parallels between the pangs in her life, the suffering of Buddha and the obstacles faced by Xuan Zang.

Her knowledge of religiosity and spiritualism was limited. Some unknown forces like the shooting stars that her mother prayed to whilst facing a misadventure and Buddha and his various figurines, but very little otherwise. Her logical brain always wondered as to why the Buddha was either seated in the Lotus pose, standing or assumed a reclining position.

She wondered what was in store at her next stop.

Xiao Ming was not quite sure about concepts such as attainment of enlightenment. She had read about the meditative experiences, but had no practical experience in the matter.

Xiao Ming heaved a sigh. The Malay after a few drinks and a heavy lunch was snoring with his eyes covered. Anav opened his eyes, apparently having caught a few winks of sleep.

Anav and Xiao Ming looked at each other and exchanged a smile. “I was listening to a podcast on Siddhartha attaining enlightenment.

“Does it mean mindfulness?” Xiao Ming countered.

“I am afraid, I have no clue. But in our interaction so far, I have come to realise that the trajectory of our lives may have been at variance but have a commonality in experiencing scantiness in the oasis of abundance. It is somewhat ironical that we are discussing Buddha, his travails in life and subsequent enlightenment. However, I do not wish to bandy this word in a casual manner.”

“Hmmm,” responded Xiao Ming thoughtfully.

“When Buddha attained enlightenment, it happened to be a full moon night in the scorching weather of May. It is strange that, Buddha was born on a full moon day, attained enlightenment on a full moon day and attained Mahaparinirvana, again on a full moon day. That is the day he cast his mortal self,” Anav was to tell Xiao Ming, as she recollected these facts.

“Well coming back to his story, upon attaining enlightenment, whatever it means, he maintained silence for an entire week. He did not utter a single word much to the chagrin of the angels. As per myth, the angels were petrified as they realised that only once in a millennium does a person blossom like Buddha and then, he was silent,” Anav continued.

“Fascinating, please continue and I too would like to listen to these podcasts,’ Xiao Ming interrupted.

The Malay’s snoring added to the white noise in the background.

“The angels beseeched Buddha to narrate his experience. He was to say, ‘Those who know, they would know even without my uttering a word and those who do not know the quintessential truth would not appreciate it even if I say something. Any description of luminosity to a person who cannot see is of no use. This is my ukase. It is pointless
in conveying something so sublime and pristine to a person who has not tasted the ambrosia of life, and therefore I maintain silence. How can one convey something so intimate and personal? Scriptures in the past have recorded that where the cacophony of words terminates, symphony of truth flowers’,” Anav narrated the interaction between
Buddha and the angels.

“This is indeed stellar,” Xiao Ming reacted. “Tell me more Anav, this is so fascinating.” The Chinese literally exclaimed like a child, which not only woke up the Malay but disturbed several other passengers too.

Drinks and lunch were served and the passengers seemed to be satiated. Several of them slipped into a slumber, some played with gizmos, while others watched movies or started reading and some were completing the targeted work.

Suddenly, there was an unexpected announcement by the captain, “Passengers are requested to fasten their seat belts as we are running into turbulent weather.” The aircraft was rocking and swaying, panic spread through the passengers. Frenetic airhostesses were trying to assuage frayed nerves.

The air craft began to descend with ferocity and the sense of panic spread further. “We are around hour an hour away from New Delhi, passengers are requested not to panic,” a reassuring announcement was made by the captain. After negotiating the troubled atmosphere, the airplane rose again.

“Oh gosh! That was close,” Anav said to Xiao Ming and she nodded in agreement.

“If Buddha was caught in this turbulence, what would he have done?” Xiao Ming enquired from Anav.

“Well from my very limited knowledge of Buddha and his tenets, I reckon he would have delineated it in four ways: One, there is dukkha or misery in the world. Two, there is always a cause of misery and three there is always an end to misery and finally there is path out of misery,” the Indian answered in a very concise manner. “He gained this wisdom through enormous amount of what we call tapas in India, basically severe spiritual austerities and practises.”

“However, let me tell you, during the turbulence I was equally petrified as all of us were. I have been exposed to Buddha and his techniques very recently. Perhaps, I would give credit to my education at the Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai, and my DNA, that is
the Brahminical mind. Well, the last one is what we twice born, that is those who wear the sacred threat are inculcated with,” he said in half-mocking tones.

“It is said that Hindus are extremely liberal in their thinking and thus grasp a variety of issues quiet seamlessly. Let me narrate a very fascinating story, a conversation between a Hindu gentleman and a Christian girl who were travelling from the US to India. So, the story goes like this,” Anav began.

“What's your Holy Book?” asked the prepossessing American girl.

“We don't have one Holy Book, we have hundreds and thousands of philosophical and sacred scriptures,” the gentleman replied.

“Oh, come on … at least tell me who is your God?” “What do you mean by that?”

“Like we have Jesus and Muslims have Allah - don't you have a God?”

He thought for a moment. Muslims and Christians believe in one God (male God) who created the world and takes an interest in the humans who inhabit it. Her mind is conditioned with that kind of belief.

According to her (or anybody who doesn't know about Hinduism), a religion needs to have one Prophet, one Holy book and one God. The mind is so conditioned and rigidly narrowed down to such a notion that anything else is not acceptable. He understood her perception and concept about faith, but realised that you can't compare Hinduism with any of the present leading religions where you have to believe in one concept of God.

He tried to explain to her, “You can believe in one God and you can be a Hindu. You may believe in multiple deities and still you can be a Hindu. What's more - you may not believe in God at all, still you can be a Hindu. An atheist can also be a Hindu.”

This sounded very crazy to her. She couldn't imagine a religion so unorganized, still surviving.

“I don't understand but it seems very interesting. Are you religious?”

What could he tell this American girl?

He said, “I do not go to a temple regularly. I do not make any regular rituals. I have learned some of the rituals in my younger days. I still enjoy doing it sometimes.”

“Enjoy?? Are you not afraid of God?”

“No - we are not afraid of God. Nobody has made any such compulsions to perform these rituals regularly.

She thought for a while and then asked: “Have you ever thought of converting to any other
religion?”

“Why should I? Even if I challenge some of the rituals and faith in Hinduism, nobody can convert me from Hinduism. Because, being a Hindu allows me to think independently and objectively, without conditioning. I remain as a Hindu never by force, but by choice.”

He told her that Hinduism is not a religion, but a set of beliefs and practises. It is not a religion like Christianity or Islam because it is not founded by any one person or does not have an organized controlling body like the Church or the Order, he added, there is no institution or authority.

“So, you don't believe in God?” She wanted everything in black and white.

“I didn't say that. I do not discard the divine reality. Our scriptures, or Sruthis or Smrithis - Vedas and Upanishads or the Gita - say God might be there or he might not be there. But we pray to that supreme abstract authority (Para Brahman) that is the creator of this universe.”

“Why can't you believe in one personal God?”

“We have a concept - ABSTRACT - not a personal god.”

“The concept or notion of a personal God, hiding behind the clouds of secrecy, telling us irrational stories through few men, whom, he sends as messengers, demanding us to worship him or punish us, does not make sense. I don't think that God is as silly as an autocratic emperor, who wants others to respect him or fear him.”

He told her that such notions are just fancies of less educated human imagination and fallacies, adding that generally ethnic religious practitioners in Hinduism believe in personal Gods. The entry level Hinduism has over-whelming superstitions too. The philosophical side of Hinduism negates all superstitions.

“Good that you agree God might exist. You said that you pray. What is your prayer then?”

“Lokaah Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shantihi,”
                 She laughed, “What does it mean?”

“May all the beings in all the worlds be happy. Let there be Peace, Peace, and Peace everywhere.”

“Hmm. Very interesting. I want to learn more about this religion. It is so democratic, broad-minded and free!” she exclaimed.

“The fact is, HINDUISM is a religion of the individual, for the individual and by the individual with its roots in the Vedas and the Bhagavad-Gita.”

“It is all about an individual approaching a personal God in an individual way according to his temperament and inner evolution - it is as simple as that.”

“How does anybody convert to Hinduism?”

“Nobody can convert you to Hinduism, because it is not a religion, but it is a culture, a way of living life, a set of beliefs and practises. Everything is acceptable in Hinduism because there is no single Authority or Organization either to accept you or to reject you or to oppose you on behalf of Hinduism.”

He continued, “If you look for meaning in life, don't look for it in religions; don't go from one cult to another or from one guru to the next.”

“For a real seeker, the Bible itself gives guidelines when it says ‘Kingdom of God is within you’. He reminded her of Christ’s teaching about the love that we have for each other. That is where you can find the meaning of life. Loving each and every creation of the God is absolute and real.”

“Isavasyam idam sarvam Isam (the God) is present (inhabits) here everywhere - nothing exists separate from the God, because God is present everywhere. Respect every living being and non-living thing as God. That’s what Hinduism teaches you.”

“Hinduism is referred to as Sanatana Dharma, the eternal faith. It is based on the practice of Dharma, the code of life. The most important aspect of Hinduism is being truthful to oneself. Hinduism has no monopoly on ideas. It is open to all. Hindus believe in one God (not a personal one) expressed in different forms. For them, God is a timeless and formless entity.”

“The ancestors of today’s Hindus believed in eternal truths and cosmic laws and these truths are opened to anyone who seeks them. The British coined the word “Hindu” and considered it as a religion,” the gentleman continued.

He said, “Religions have become a multi-level-marketing industry that has been trying to expand the market share by conversion. The biggest business in today’s world is spirituality. I am a Hindu because it doesn’t pre-condition my mind with any faith system. In Hinduism we don’t have any managers of God. Some say, ‘Be Muslim’. Some say, ‘Be Christian’. The Vedas say ‘Be Human’. Some say, ‘Follow Prophet’. Some say, ‘Follow Jesus’. Vedas say, ‘Follow your conscience’.”

“You would have heard some say that God is over seventh sky. Some say that God is over fourth sky. Vedas say that God is with me, within me.”

“Some say that God tests, others that God punishes. Yet others that God forgives. But the Vedas say that God supports. Hinduism is the original, rather a natural yet logical and satisfying spiritual, personal and a scientific way of living a life. Hinduism is not a religion, it’s a culture, a way of life,” the gentleman concluded.

Xiao Ming sat quietly, absorbing all that Anav had narrated, even as he continued by way of explanation, “Now, neither am I a rabid or a practising Hindu, I am an agnostic, but this conversation appealed to me a lot and sums up my own beliefs.”

As the conversation rolled-on, another set of secrets tumbled from the shelves of Xiao Ming’s and Anav’s lives. Apart from the privation they faced in their lives, the two suffered physically as well.

Xiao Ming had always been an affectionate person but over the years had turned into a haughty, impatient and moody person. However, combined with her sometimes-hedonistic and reckless lifestyle it took a toll on her internal system. While she maintained a strict physical fitness regime, her stomach revolted regularly perhaps due frequent consumption of liquor, not that she was addicted to it. As she was fixated in creating the Virtual Buddy app, she had to perforce travel and eat outside which affected her digestive system. She was in search of a cure as the frequent bouts of abdominal pain and irritable bowel syndrome resulted in frequent mood changes and loss of concentration. Additionally, she suffered from severe cramps during her menstrual cycles and found no succour to overcome this ailment.

The ten-kilometre-runner who was otherwise extremely fit, had begun to suffer from acute spondylitis and bouts of arthritis. The nagging pain in his neck, knees and shoulder made him temperamental and at times had a debilitating affect during his work schedule and daily chores.

 This was of perhaps on account of long hours at the desk, working on the computer and dependency on gizmos and smart phones. He had read somewhere that on an average humans use a smartphone a minimum of 80 to 180 times a day and this plays havoc on the tissues in the neck, shoulders and back which often got knotted up, leading to excruciating pain.

So, both had issues with their bodies and minds and were keen to find resolution.

Behind the veneer of athleticism and seemingly fit bodies both the alluring Chinese woman and the smart Indian were looking for help.

Shortly thereafter the captain of the aircraft announced that they would begin their descent at the Indira Gandhi International airport.

“It has been a very interesting conversation with you Anav. You are exceedingly   well-informed and knowledgeable,” Xiao Ming mentioned with a glowing face.

“That’s nice of you. In midst of Buddha getting caught in the turbulence and the meandering foray about Hinduism, I clean forgot to mention another podcast, which could pave the way for your future plans,” Anav added.

As the flight descended and taxied on the tarmac, Xiao Ming asked Anav about his plans. “So, you head to your parents’ place at Chennai?”

“Not right away. I would be spending some days with my friend at Delhi. He is a dramatist, writes and above all is a meditation teacher.”

Xiao Ming’s jaws fell. “What … and I thought you were the repository of all this wisdom,” she said with consternation.

“Well, he is my Virtual Buddy app, my mentor. We all have one in our lives. All the podcasts were those of my friend.”

“My goodness you concealed a secret,” Xiao Ming protested.

“‘Conceal your dispositions, and your condition will remain secret, which leads to victory; show your dispositions, and your condition will become patent, which leads to defeat,’ said Sun Tzu,” Anav signed-off.

No comments:

Post a Comment