Tuesday 13 February 2024

AS WE FORGIVE

 AS WE FORGIVE

 

Around the Year with Emmet Fox

 

February 14

 

As we repeat the Great Prayer intelligently,

we are suddenly caught up

and grasped as though in a vise,

so that we must face

 this problem of separation from God.

We must extend forgiveness to everyone.

Notice that Jesus does not say,

"Forgive me my trespasses

and I will try to forgive others."

He obliges us to declare

that we have actually forgiven,

and he makes our claim to our forgiveness

to depend upon that.

Who could be so insane as to endeavor,

to seek the Kingdom of God without desiring

to be relieved of his own sense of guilt?

We are trapped in the inescapable position

that we cannot demand our own release

before we have released our brother.

“Search me, 0 God, and know my heart:

try me, and know my thoughts.”

Psalm 139:23

 

No comments:

Post a Comment