Wednesday 4 January 2023

A true leader!

 This Christmas weekend, I was in Goa.


On my last day, I went to return the self-driven car I had hired.

I was there before time. I handed over the car with extra fuel than I had received it with.

So, I requested the taxi owner to at least take me to a nearby temple, which is my weekly ritual for soaking up some energy.

After all, I had delivered extra fuel and time...so I thought I deserved at least a ride to the temple.

But the Taxi guy said, "No. Can't do. Sorry."

Anyway, while I was trying to convince him, there was a person standing outside the car rental shop.

He overheard my discussion and said, "I know a great Hanuman temple just two km away. Would you like to come with me? But I have a small scooty, not a car.

Inwardly, I jumped at the idea. Outwardly, I stayed calm, thinking he would ask for a lot of money.

I asked him, "How much for the favour?"

And he said, "Paisa chhodo aap chalo bas. Main le jayega aapko. (forget money, you just come)...in a Goan tone.

Respect!

Anyway, though I was still puzzled with the kindness of this man, I chose to trust him.

He took me to a beautiful ancient Hanuman temple. It had great energies and vibes.

He kept waiting patiently in the hot sun outside.

We then headed straight back to the hotel, where I was staying.

On the way back, he waved at a guy passing by, and they both shouted with great fervor, "Jai Digambar!" (a religious greeting in Jainism)

So I asked the guy, aap Jaini ho? (Do you follow Jainism?)

He replied with a no, shaking his head.

“I am Mohammad Shaikh. I am a Muslim sir.

Awed kind of Respect!

He then said,

"God's work is always first for me. It doesn't matter which religion or which God.
All forms of Gods are man-made, so I respect every man's faith.
Man is one - God may be different."

When we reached the hotel, he didn't ask for money at all.

As he was saying goodbye to me, I offered some money and he didn't say no. Your wish, he said.

It's then I asked him what do you do? ''

He said, "I give scooties on rent! "

And this 3rd time - Mohammad Shaikh Sahab - You just blew my mind !!

You could have easily tried to rent the scooty to me instead!

What a beautiful man! A true example of simplicity and respect.

It was not money, which was driving this man. It was his generosity and kindness towards man and respect for all.
A true leader!

No comments:

Post a Comment