Thursday 9 December 2021

I was managing a McDonald’s in Florida.

 

I was managing a McDonald’s in Florida.

Unlike today, staffing was never a real problem. I was searching for a someone to work three hours a day at lunch.

I went thru all my applications and most were all looking for full time or at least 20 hours.

I found one however, buried at the bottom that was only looking for lunch.

His name was Nicky.

Hadn't met him but thought I would give him a call and see if he could stop by for an interview. When I called, he wasn't in but his mom said she would make sure he would be there.

At the accorded time, Nicky walked in. Nicky suffered from Downs Syndrome. His physical appearance was a giveaway.

I was young. Had never interacted on a professional level with a developmentally disabled person.

I had no clue what to do, so I went ahead and interviewed him. He was a wonderful young man. Excited to be alive.

For only reasons God knew at that time, I hired him. 3 hours a day, 3 days a week to run a grill.

I let the staff know. Predictably the crew made sure I got the message, " no one wants to work with a retard." To this day I find that word offensive.

We had a crew meeting and prepared for his arrival.

Nicky showed up for work right on time.
He was so excited.

He clocked in and started his training. Couldn't multi task, but was a machine on the grill.

Now for the fascinating part.....
Back in that day, there were no computer screens to work from. Every order was called by the cashier.

It required concentration to get the order right. While Nicky was training, the sandwich maker next to him asked the grillman what was on the next sandwich. Nicky replied,"single, no pickle no onion."

A few minutes later it happened again.
It was then that we discovered Nicky had a hidden and valuable skill. He memorized everything he heard!

WHAT A SKILL SET.

It took 3 days and every sandwich maker requested to work with Nicky.

After his shift he would join the crew. It was then that they discovered another trait. Nicky was a walking perpetual calendar!

With a perpetual calendar as a reference, they would sit for hours asking him what day of the week was December 22, 1847. He never missed.

His mom would come in at 2 to pick him. As I went to get him from the back, his mom said something I will never forget.
"Let him stay there as long as he wants.
He has never been accepted like he is here”.

Nicky had a profound impact. His presence changed a lot of people.

Today I believe with every fiber of my body that Nicky's hiring was no accident.

This Christmas, I hope we all understand what we are celebrating. We are all like Nicky.
We each have our shortcomings.

No comments:

Post a Comment