Wednesday 17 August 2016

Inspirational Moments in Olympics


Pierre de Courbetin  had proposed these symbolic words for Olympic games- Citius, Altius , Fortius ( latin for Faster, Higher and Stronger).  Be it sports, workplace , homes and our lives these should be the guiding force. They should propel us to be achievers, not quitters but accept life with equipoise, equanimity , equilibrium and humility.
Many a times  the most Inspirational Moments do not fetch us   Medals at all…
A 5,000 meter runner stopped mid-race to help a fallen athlete in a true demonstration of sportsmanship at the Rio Olympics.
New Zealand’s Nikki Hamblin fell during the 5,000m heats and accidentally tripped up Abbey D’Agostino of the United States.
With Hamblin lying on the track behind her, American D’Agostino got back to her feet but refused to continue the race. Instead, she sacrificed her dreams and turned around to help the prone New  Zealander. This is a wonderful demonstration of invoking true human spirit. Humans  are born to share and care and not resort to mere
aggrandizement. D’Agostino has carved a niche for her selfless approach and attitude. This is the power of positive thinking.
The dialogue between the two athletes  is truly remarkable  and needs to be recounted.  It was something like this:
Hamblin lay there wondering what had happened when she felt D’Agostino’s hand on her shoulder.
–‘Get up, get up! We have to finish!” D’Agostino told her. ‘This is the Olympic Games. We have to finish this.’–
D’Agostino helped Hamblin up, and the two started to continue to run.
Having severely injured her knee during the fall, D’Agostino could barely hobble on one leg and when Hamblin looked back to see if she could help, the American simply said, ‘Go on, go on, I can’t put weight on my knee, I don’t know if I can run, but please keep going, keep going’..
D’Agostino eventually finished the final 5 laps, limping over the finish line.
‘I’ve never met this girl before’, said Hamblin. ‘It’s heartbreaking for us both, but she gave up her race for me. That girl epitomizes the Olympic spirit right there, sportsmanship, class and sheer determination.
I unfortunately injured her in my fall…and her getting up and shaking my shoulder, saying ‘Come on, get up’.
‘I am so impressed and inspired by her….Regardless of the race, results..That’s a moment that I’l never forget for the rest of my life.
When someone asks me what happened in Rio in 20 years time, that is my story. She is my story.’..
Everyone falls once in a while — in sports and in life. It’s what you do after you fall that matters. #Rio2016

No comments:

Post a Comment