Wednesday 16 March 2016

WHAT HUMANS HAVE FORGOTTEN AT THE ALTAR OF TECHNOLOGY



Imagination, big ticket dreams , thinking big have all contributed to the  phenomenal  growth and development of mankind. Simultaneously  harnessing of technology have  enabled us to break  boundaries and usher in   radical changes in our lives. Man has  landed on the moon and is exploring the unknown. We have animated discussions on the origin of universe and also on  the possibility that perhaps we are surrounded by some  ancient and futuristic aliens.
Stephen Hawking writes,' Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change . Life would be tragic if we weren't funny. We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something special.'
It is the intelligence of man , his mind which acts as  the growth engine of  development.But have we lost or innocence and  humanism in the process?
Pawan Munjal the Managing Director and CEO of Hero MotoCorp Limited , the world's largest manufacturer of two wheeler's says." At the heart of technology is humanism . Create products that will always have an emotional connect . Create products that will help your customers to smile and be joyous . Give them service that doesn't satisfy them but instead delights them."
What is technology? Technology is derived from the Greek word techne,'art , skill, cunning of hand ' and is a collection of techniques , skills , methods and processes used in production of goods and services or in accomplishment of objectives such as scientific investigations.
Humans are  blessed with gizmos , gargantuan appetite and google , but have lost the innocence of  a  child. Mind you I am not a Luddite! and today  technology dependent and driven , but do aver that we all are in a mad rat race running after a chimera.   Movers and Shakers have become achievers by depositing certain intrinsic human values in a sand box.
When Television invaded our homes, we forgot to read books.
Everyday , we prefer to watch the boisterous and rambunctious channels rather than the Discovery channel.
When the company provided me with a car at my doorstep, I forgot to walk and thus put on some girth.
When the organisation handed me with a smartphone, I forgot to wield the pen.
When my institution gifted me with laptops and computers , I forgot using the thesaurus and my felicity with numbers and words declined.
When we procured an air conditioner, the family  stopped sitting out in the garden and I stopped going under the tree to feel the cool breeze.
When urbanization subsumed our civilization , I forgot the environs of my quaint village.
With the smell of the perfume, I forgot the fragrance of the fresh air and flowers.
With the advent of fast food, junk food, Pizza Huts etall, my wife forgot to cook Dal and Rice.
Always running around , I forgot how to stop
And finally when I installed Whats app on my mobile I forgot how to SLEEP.
Yes I lost my innocence at the altar of TECHNOLOGY.

No comments:

Post a Comment