Tuesday, 28 July 2026
The Day I Planned to Be Alone
The Day I Planned to Be Alone
Part 1: The Perfect Quiet
Saturday mornings were sacred to Maya Kapoor.
Not because she had grand adventures planned or because weekends meant sleeping until noon. Quite the opposite. Saturdays were the one day she carefully protected from the rest of the world.
Her ideal day fit neatly onto a yellow sticky note attached to the refrigerator.
Today's Plan
Wake up naturally.
Make pancakes.
Finish reading The Secret Garden.
Water the plants.
Watch the rain if it rains.
Do absolutely nothing important.
She had underlined the last line twice.
After six straight days of meetings, ringing phones, crowded trains, and cheerful conversations she never quite had the energy for, this day belonged to silence.
Real silence.
The kind broken only by birds outside the window or the soft whistle of a boiling kettle.
At exactly eight-thirteen, Maya stretched beneath her blanket and smiled.
No alarm.
No emails.
No responsibilities.
"This," she whispered to the empty apartment, "is going to be perfect."
The apartment seemed to agree.
Golden sunlight spilled across the wooden floor. Her little collection of houseplants leaned toward the morning light as if waking beside her. A sleepy orange cat named Biscuit lazily blinked from his favorite chair before deciding the day required another nap.
Everything felt wonderfully still.
Maya padded to the kitchen in fuzzy slippers shaped like tiny clouds.
She mixed pancake batter slowly, humming a tune she couldn't remember learning. Cinnamon filled the air. Butter sizzled in the pan.
She stacked three fluffy pancakes onto her favorite blue plate, added strawberries, drizzled maple syrup over the top, and carried breakfast to the couch.
No phone.
No television.
Just breakfast and a book.
She had barely finished the first page when—
DING DONG.
She froze.
The doorbell?
On a Saturday?
She frowned.
Maybe whoever it was had the wrong apartment.
She waited.
Silence.
Good.
Whoever it was would leave.
She relaxed back into the couch.
DING DONG.
Longer this time.
More determined.
Biscuit raised his head with clear annoyance before curling back into a ball.
Maya sighed.
"Maybe it's important."
She peeked through the peephole.
Standing outside was Mr. D'Souza, her elderly neighbor from across the hall.
He wore suspenders, carried a tiny toolbox, and smiled as though Saturdays existed solely for unexpected visits.
Maya opened the door halfway.
"Good morning, Mr. D'Souza."
"My dear!" he exclaimed. "I need a very small favor."
Famous last words.
"What happened?"
"My television remote stopped working."
She blinked.
"Have you changed the batteries?"
"I have changed them three times."
"Maybe the remote is broken?"
"I don't think so."
"Why?"
"Because I asked it politely to work."
Maya couldn't help laughing.
"And?"
"It ignored me."
She smiled despite herself.
"All right."
Five minutes, she thought.
Five minutes wouldn't ruin her day.
Mr. D'Souza's apartment looked like a museum dedicated to old memories.
Framed black-and-white photographs covered every wall.
Shelves overflowed with books.
An antique clock ticked steadily in the corner.
He handed Maya the remote with the seriousness of a surgeon passing over delicate instruments.
She pressed the power button.
Nothing.
She checked the batteries.
Correctly installed.
She examined the television.
Then she noticed something.
"Mr. D'Souza..."
"Yes?"
"The television isn't plugged in."
He stared.
Then looked behind the cabinet.
"Oh."
A pause.
"I suspected something technical."
Maya plugged it in.
The screen lit up instantly.
Mr. D'Souza clapped his hands.
"I knew inviting you was the right decision!"
"You invited me because I'm young."
"I invited you because you understand modern magic."
She laughed.
As she turned to leave, he stopped her.
"Would you like tea?"
"No thank you."
"Cookies?"
"I'm trying to spend today doing nothing."
He smiled knowingly.
"Nothing is rarely as peaceful as we imagine."
She waved.
"I'll risk it."
Back home, Maya glanced at the clock.
Nine o'clock.
Only forty-five minutes lost.
Plenty of quiet remained.
She reheated her pancakes.
They weren't as fluffy anymore.
Still delicious.
She settled back onto the couch.
Opened her book.
Read exactly two sentences.
KNOCK. KNOCK. KNOCK.
Not the doorbell this time.
Someone was knocking.
Maya stared at the ceiling.
Perhaps if she stayed perfectly still...
The knocking continued.
Biscuit looked offended on her behalf.
She shuffled to the door.
A delivery driver stood outside holding three enormous boxes.
"Package for Ms. Kapoor."
"I didn't order anything."
"Apartment 4B?"
"Yes."
"Then these are yours."
"They can't be."
He checked his scanner.
"Signature, please."
Reluctantly, she signed.
The driver left before she could ask another question.
Three giant cardboard boxes now occupied half her living room.
Each carried the same label.
HANDLE WITH CARE.
No sender.
No explanation.
Maya frowned.
"Well... that's mysterious."
Biscuit immediately jumped onto the largest box, claiming ownership.
She opened the first package carefully.
Inside were dozens of children's books.
Bright covers.
Adventure stories.
Fairy tales.
Picture books.
The second contained puzzles, board games, coloring books, and stuffed animals.
The third held tiny blankets and art supplies.
She checked every label.
Nothing explained why they'd arrived.
Then she found a folded envelope tucked between two books.
It simply read:
For Maya.
Inside was a handwritten note.
"Please keep these safe. I'll explain soon."
No name.
No phone number.
No address.
Just those seven words.
Maya read them again.
"What does that even mean?"
Biscuit sniffed one of the stuffed bears and decided it wasn't edible.
By eleven-thirty, she'd almost forgotten the mysterious boxes.
Almost.
She watered her plants.
Played soft piano music.
Made herself another cup of coffee.
The apartment slowly regained its peaceful rhythm.
Then...
Her phone rang.
Her younger brother, Karan.
She considered ignoring it.
He called again.
She answered.
"Everything okay?"
"Maya!"
He sounded breathless.
"I need one tiny favor."
She laughed.
"Those words are dangerous."
"My car broke down."
"Oh."
"I'm stranded about twenty minutes away."
"I don't drive."
"I know."
"So how am I helping?"
"Could you bring me the spare key to Dad's old scooter?"
"You want me to ride a scooter?"
"No."
"Good."
"I want you to call a taxi and bring me the key."
She pinched the bridge of her nose.
"Karan..."
"I owe you."
"You already owe me."
"I'll owe you more."
She looked around her peaceful apartment.
At the untouched book.
The cooling coffee.
The mysterious boxes.
The sleeping cat.
The day was slowly slipping away.
"Fine."
"You are officially the best sister."
"I know."
Forty minutes later, key delivered and brother rescued, Maya returned home determined to salvage what remained of her quiet Saturday.
She locked the door.
Turned off her phone.
Made fresh tea.
Curled beneath a blanket.
Outside, rain finally began tapping softly against the windows.
Perfect.
Exactly what she'd hoped for.
She smiled.
"This is it."
She opened her book.
A peaceful silence settled over the apartment.
One page.
Two pages.
Three.
Finally.
Then...
Meow.
Maya looked down.
Biscuit wasn't meowing.
He was asleep.
The sound came again.
Meow.
From outside.
She opened the door.
A tiny soaked gray kitten sat in the hallway, staring up at her with enormous golden eyes.
Around its neck was a blue ribbon.
Attached to the ribbon was another handwritten note.
It read:
"He chose your door."
Maya blinked.
"What?"
The kitten answered with another tiny meow.
She looked up and down the empty hallway.
No one.
Just the sound of rain echoing through the building.
The little kitten rubbed against her slipper as though they'd known each other forever.
Inside the apartment, Biscuit appeared at the doorway.
The older cat and the tiny newcomer stared at one another.
Neither moved.
Neither blinked.
Maya suddenly had a feeling—
A very strong feeling—
That her carefully planned day of peaceful solitude had only just begun to unravel.
And somehow...
She suspected the mysterious books, the anonymous note, and the kitten at her door were all connected.
She just had no idea how.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment