Sunday, 26 July 2026
"I Am Astonished..."
"I Am Astonished..."
(English Translation)
I am astonished to think—
why did no woman ever raise her voice
against Tulsidas,
the one who wrote:
"The drum, the ignorant, the Shudra, the animal, and the woman—
all deserve to be disciplined."
I am astonished—
why did no woman burn the Manusmriti,
the text that placed the chains of slavery
upon women.
I am astonished—
why did no woman condemn
that Ram
who, even after demanding proof of Sita's purity,
banished his pregnant wife
from his home.
Why did no woman curse
those who treated a woman as property
and staked her in a game of dice?
Why did the entire womanhood
endure Draupadi's public humiliation
before powerless warriors
in the Mahabharata?
I am astonished to think
why no woman opposed
the daylight abductions
of Samyukta, Amba, and Ambalika.
And I remain astonished—
after all this,
why do my mothers and sisters
still worship them,
revering them as gods?
I am astonished by their silence.
Should I call it patience,
blind faith,
or the highest form of mental slavery?
I remain astonished...
— Attributed to Mahadevi Verma
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment